Introduction / question Kelsey Hayes Servo

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Vincent
Germany

#1 Introduction / question Kelsey Hayes Servo

Post by Vincent » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:41 am

Dear Gentlemen,
may I introduce myself...
I’m 51 years old and I live in South Germany. With 18 years of age, my father took me with him on a holiday trip to St. Tropez in France, where for the first time in my life, I saw an E-Type. That was the moment when the magic spark jumped over. A photography of that moment is still standing on my office desk. It was a gunmetal grey 3.8l S1 roadster with red interior and outside bonnet latches. From that day on I knew I had to have such a car and focused my energies to that goal. At the age of 26 that day had eventually come an I bought a black 3.8l S1 roadster. It was an all original car in good condition and that car really developed to a steady source of joy for me during the last 25 years. Last year eventually I decided to do a full body restoration. The metal work is done meanwhile and the body has just been handed over to the paint shop. Although I did lots of restoration work through all these years, I now use the time the body is gone to go over some mechanical things again and here comes my question.

Right now I am restoring my brake an clutch paddle box with it’s original kelsey hayes brake servo which I want to keep. I was chasing for spare parts and found out that the identical servo was used in old Ford Thunderbirds. I also found a guy in New York who was able to supply a repair kit for that Thunderbird servo. Unluckily those rubber parts were of such bad quality that I didn’t even waste a thought of using them.
I need that little rubber sealing ring for the vacuum valve and that wide surface sealing ring that goes over the breather tube at the back plate of the servo. I don't want to install that oil seal ring which is available at most spare part dealers as I think that is an inadequate type of sealing ring.
Is anybody out there who knows a source for good parts for that kelsey hayes servo?
Any help is highly appreciated...

Best regards

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Introduction / question Kelsey Hayes Servo

Post by Gfhug » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Vincent, welcome to the forum, by far the best and friendliest place for information and advice.
Why not post some photos of your car?
I can’t answer your specific question but good luck with your work

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#3 Re: Introduction / question Kelsey Hayes Servo

Post by tinworm » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:25 am

I have the Dunlop version of the Kelsey hayes servo sitting on my desk right now and I was thinking of ordering the Thunderbird kit (available on US ebay) . What do American owners think of this kit? I see Barretts do some of the seals - I don't know what they are like.

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#4 Re: Introduction / question Kelsey Hayes Servo

Post by abowie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:45 am

Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457..oops. Jezza the V12 XJS race car.
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic