Hello all members

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
paul j
Australia

#1 Hello all members

Post by paul j » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:41 am

Hi to everyone here, firstly may i thank you in advance for any assistance that may be provided by members on this forum. After a lengthy hiatus i am continuing the restoration on my 68 FHC 2+2. I purchased this car completely stripped with all parts in boxes etc [ not a single bolt attached to the car !! ] as you can imagine it is not an easy task to re-assemble when you haven't removed these parts in the first place and having never restored a car before, let alone an e-type !! I have noticed over the years previous that some people have made extensive reports on their own restoration projects and although i have many copies of the these books etc there is always many little things that are not documented or photographed. I would like to ask is there any of these documented on this forum that anyone can recommend as a good reference point for me to use that would be closely related to my e-type [ may 1968 ] Many thanks in advance Paul
Paul
68 1.5 2+2 Lhd-Rhd full resto

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Hello all members

Post by Gfhug » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:21 am

Paul, welcome to the best place for friendly advice and help for all things E Type.
Why not list which books you’ve got then we can suggest others?
Parts catalogues from SC Parts and SNGB are very important to have as are the proper maintenance manuals listed in the knowledge section.

Is there any particular question to start with? Let that get answered and things will build from there.

Good luck

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#3 Re: Hello all members

Post by malcolm » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:32 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Like the colour!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

H7OB
Great Britain

#4 Re: Hello all members

Post by H7OB » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:18 am

Hello and welcome!
Pretty car! If there’s anything I can photograph to help, just shout!

Paul, 1968 (March) OSB 2+2 :thumbsup:
Attachments
869D4F1D-07E3-429A-993D-53AE170C4160.jpeg
869D4F1D-07E3-429A-993D-53AE170C4160.jpeg (184.09 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rossco_j
Australia

#5 Re: Hello all members

Post by rossco_j » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:18 pm

G'day Paul.
Looks like a whole lotta fun there. Good luck...
Ross
1972 Series 3 E Type 2+2
1972 MGB GT
1965 Mini Cooper
https://rossjohnsonphotography.zenfolio.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paul j
Australia

#6 Re: Hello all members

Post by paul j » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:37 am

Gfhug wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:21 am
Paul, welcome to the best place for friendly advice and help for all things E Type.
Why not list which books you’ve got then we can suggest others?
Parts catalogues from SC Parts and SNGB are very important to have as are the proper maintenance manuals listed in the knowledge section.

Is there any particular question to start with? Let that get answered and things will build from there.

Good luck

Geoff
Hi Geoff, i have book wise the service manual series 1 & 2, SNGB and XK's parts catalouges, factory original by anders clausager, original e type -phillip porter, and restoration books by haynes, practical classics, thomas haddock and chris rooke. All are great references but there is always little things that are not mentioned. I am currently starting to fit out bonnet assy first so i can remove to continue with wiring looms then on to front end, engine/gearbox etc. any photos or descriptions showing wiring routing etc would be handy. I am also stuck without the 2 nuts that hold the connector block beside the plug entry, the welded threads are too small for anything i have to fit, do you know what size these threads are ? As i mentioned i did not have the opportunity to dismantle the car so have to look thru books,photos etc. I would like to find a suitable members documented resto that i could use as a base reference instead of looking thru each book each time i am stumped with a question. I understand such a reference would not answer every question one might have but if you can recommend any that would be appreciated. Thanks Paul
Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Hello all members

Post by mgcjag » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:39 am

Hi Paul...here is a very good members Restoration blog that many on here use...Steve http://etype.chrisvine.com/
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#8 Re: Hello all members

Post by Gfhug » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:06 am

Hi Paul, you’ve got a goodly selection of books there which should help as will the website Steve has mentioned. Try to get the SC parts catalogue as it lists virtually all nuts, bolts and thread sizes.
Threads are mainly UNF, but some UNC in castings and the like and the odd Whitworth or BA threads in and around the carbs.
Try to get a thread finder gauge and a set of taps and dies in UNF/UNC and you’ll soon find what you’re looking for and be able to clean up threads.

One thing, when quoting it does tie up server space and the preferred thing is to edit out most of the quote if it’s not needed.

Will try to look at parts books myself and see if I can answer your specific question. Good luck and keep coming back for help.

Edited: have looked at my parts books and can’t answer your question about those nuts, sorry. I’d be most surprised if they are not some of the smaller UNF ANF threads. Can you measure the diameter, please? Maybe an 8-36 .164” dia or 10-32 .190” dia. That’s one thing you’ll need is to get used to good old imperial dimensions if you’re wedded to the evil metric system :lol:

Another edit, is your SNGB catalogue the 23mm thick one or the slim one? The bigger book is the one you need.
And photos always help to show where the location of a question lies

Geoff

PS for future ease in helping you, please add your car type to the signature area. Saves you having to quote it in each post
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paul j
Australia

#9 Re: Hello all members

Post by paul j » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 am

Thanks Geoff and Steve, have managed to find 2 nylox nuts to fit the threads mentioned to secure connector block. Sorry for the quote reply, i am still getting used to using this format and thought i was replying to your message Geoff directly, now i see the reply to post at the bottom of the page , bear with me, i will get there eventually!!. Having trouble finding front bumper mounting brackets part number [ have only found it on martin robey site but quotes their own p/n ], maybe it is in the SC parts catalogue you mentioned, i will try to download and look there. I have both sngb parts catalogues, neither mention these parts.I have selected attach a signature but cannot see where to fill it in ? :thankyouyellow:
Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#10 Re: Hello all members

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:40 am

Hi...to add a signature and your car model click on your username then select user control panel then edit signature......you will find in our knowledge base section parts catalogues for various models. This will give you the Jaguar part number....you can also purchase parts catalogues.......as you have found suppliers often just use their own part number.....have you looked online at SNGB they have very good detailed parts schematics..and also SC parts have similar..a quick google search e type bumoer bracket found this....not sure if its what you need..Steve https://www.welshent.com/Jaguar-Bumper- ... 23339.aspx
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#11 Re: Hello all members

Post by JerryL770 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:54 am

I think you would find that those small nuts are actually UNC not UNF ( size 8 or 10)
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic