Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
adebnam
Great Britain

#1 Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by adebnam » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Dear Forum,

I have just begun the process of restoring my series I E-Type roadster (1E 15392). The car is not a total wreck but there is enough rot from a decade or two of standing idle to justify a full engine-out restoration.

A full nut and bold job puts me in the enviable position of being able to re-paint the car in whatever colour I choose. In this case, I would almost certainly opt for dark blue with red or tan leather. The car's heritage certificate, however, states that the car left the factory adorned in opalescent golden sand with black trim.

If money was no object I'd go for dark blue. I'm not a purist. In fact, I'd have Eagle build me a fully upgraded car. Unfortunately, I will come to sell the car one day and given the significant amount of money involved in restoring one of these things, I have to consider it's resale value. My question then, is whether anyone out there would buy an E-Type in opalescent golden sand?! Everyone tells me that I should restore the car to its original colour scheme in order to maximise its value, but does this advice still ring true if the car was originally painted gold?! Perhaps I'd be better off doing away originality and broadening the market of potential buyers for my car?

Yours faithfully,

Andrew D.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by Heuer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:24 pm

This thread should answer your questions: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5523

OGS looks fantastic so no reason to dismiss it. Hopefully the car will be at our Forum meet at Bicester in April.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Alty Ian
Great Britain

#3 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by Alty Ian » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi Andrew

Dave has posted the restoration thread of our car above.
I had never even heard of OGS when we got the car but we decided to go for originality.

Since completion, the car has been to quite a few shows and won many awards and the FIRST thing everyone says they like about it is its colour :yeahthat:

I must admit the interior colour light tan is also a great combo whereas black maybe not quite so, but thats just my view but I have another etype with a black interior as well.

Its your car, your choice and nothing is wrong really, but I know what I would choose every time,..OGS :drinkingcheers:

Ian
64 S1 4.2 OTS 1E10012 73 S3 2+2 manual 2013 V6 F type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by Heuer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:22 pm

It was also a popular colour back in the day and 1,710 S1 4.2's were so painted.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nefematic
Germany

#5 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by nefematic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:35 pm

You'll never know who comes up to buy your car and what colour scheme he might favour. I've seen Alty Ian's car and it is absolutely gourgeous. Go original.
Martin
Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Alty Ian
Great Britain

#6 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by Alty Ian » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Heuer wrote:It was also a popular colour back in the day and 1,710 S1 4.2's were so painted.
Quite right Dave,.. and ours was the first one :dance: :dance:
64 S1 4.2 OTS 1E10012 73 S3 2+2 manual 2013 V6 F type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#7 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by abowie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Yes, I would.
I saw one in OGS with a red interior. Looked very good.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kinglaw
United States of America

#8 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by kinglaw » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:13 pm

All,

I remember seeing a brand new Opalacent Sand OTS roadster in 1966. Mine was Primrose Pale. I thought the world, of the colour golden sand. That one that I saw then, had beige interior, and beige canvas top, not black.

Black, as an interior is long lasting, since it does not show wear as much as the lighter colours.

I would strongly suggest keeping the car in it's original configuration. The combination is very beautiful and was very popular in the States.

This car is a masterpiece and why change the original configuration. The scheme is beautiful.

Kind regards to our friends in the UK

BPK

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kinglaw
United States of America

#9 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by kinglaw » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Dear Andrew and All,

In addition to my previous comments, do you remember "Goldfinger" which film aired in 1964?

It was the fashion then, and should be retained now.

Resist the urge and keep the car original!

Opalescent Desert Sand was not really gold. Very beautiful and subtle shade. I wouldn't hesitate to acquire such a car myself, if I were still in the market!

BPK in the States

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
adebnam
Great Britain

#10 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by adebnam » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond. I still want a dark blue car with red leather but I think I'll just have to make that the next project...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

richard btype
Great Britain

#11 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by richard btype » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:33 pm

adebnam wrote:Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond. I still want a dark blue car with red leather but I think I'll just have to make that the next project...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my father owned a 1965 OGS/red and it was beautiful.

I was lucky to find the car that had my favourite colour combo of Gunmetal/Red. Then CMC completely upset my apple cart by displaying chassis no 15 at the London Classic last year, the 1961 Scottish motor show car in Pearl Grey/light blue interior.

Never knew such a combo existed, definitely ticks the 'unusual' with such a pleasing effect and was not at all a popular choice then and probably not now!

With my car due for a full restoration It would tick all the boxes (with originality being the exception) have contemplated changing to this scheme but only for a minute or two - whatever one thinks originality has a very strong pull ideologically and if selling.

Pearl/Light blue will just have to wait - another car, another day... :bouncyyellow:
Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bill B
United States of America

#12 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by Bill B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Andrew,

Not my favorite color.

Personal opinion is that E's look best in dark colors, interiors in light color.

Mine was originally dark blue, which I don't mind so I will paint it that, otherwise I would have changed it to black. "Black isn't a color, it's a career.." But it's not a daily drive so...
S1 OTS 4.2 1966
I really go to put this thing back together

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#13 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by rswaffie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Andrew,

My 63 FHC body is going off on Monday for work and then paint in its original OGS and will be retrimmed in light tan as original. It is a stunning colour and as previously noted, it's not a 'gold' gold, more a silvery gold - think sun-drenched tropical beach sand. But, as also noted in other responses - it's your car so go with want you feel happiest with. If you are in any doubt, take a look at this...
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mph

#14 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by mph » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:37 am

I had a Mk2 in Golden Sand with tan interior.

Looked great IMHO and received many compliments.

Personally I would stay with the original body colour but a red interior may be hard to resist !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

peters3103
Australia

#15 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by peters3103 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi,
I searched high and low when looking to by my S1 FHC. I had previously owned a red S1 2+2 and this seemed to be by far and away the most common colour for E Types whenever I attended car shows etc. My choice this time was Opalescent Golden Sand and it hasn't disappointed and certainly receives many compliments when lined up with other E's. Mine is a 61 and was originally Bronze with Beige trim but when it was restored in the 90's was changed to OSG. The Beige trim remains and compliments the paint colour very well. It seems to be quite rare here in Australia and is usually the only OSG car when attending rally's etc.
I hope you choose to keep your car in its original colour scheme, Andrew, and am sure you would be delighted with it.

Pete
61 E-Type FHC Opalescent Golden Sand
69 XJ6 4.2 MOD Old English White - one previous owner
16 XE R Sport 25t Polaris White - shopping trolley
63 MGB Roadster Aintree Green - my dads from new

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
adebnam
Great Britain

#16 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by adebnam » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:41 am

Hi All,

I'm not sure if anyone is still paying attention to this post but in case you are, I thought I'd send an update. I decided to take your advice and keep the car in her original spec. She has just come out of the paint shop resplendent in a new coat of OGS. Hopefully you can all see the photo I've attached.

Next question... what's the best concourse competition to enter her in when she's complete hopefully in a few months' time?
Attachments
Jag.jpg
Jag.jpg (81.2 KiB) Viewed 7569 times

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#17 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by Gfhug » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Don't bother with concours, just drive the car! They're for enjoying not to be a trailer queen. :roll:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#18 Re: Opalescent Golden Sand... would anyone repaint an E-Type in this colour?

Post by Robbiee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:32 pm

:yeahthat:
You’ll get plenty of lovely comments and spread much happiness as you drive along
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic