Italian (repair) job!

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Marko
Italy

#1 Italian (repair) job!

Post by Marko » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi all
Am new to the forum, although a proud owner of a S2 2+2 since 1999 (yes I know, a S2 2+2, but I love her!!). We were in Geneva for the 40th, so probably saw many of you there, although we didn't make it for the 50th...
Had a big shunt a few years ago which ended up in the courts (in Italy! - you should try it sometime!), and only now have I got the insurance payout. I've decided to repair the car (yes I know, a S2 2+2, but I love her, remember), and work is about to begin.
What I'm struggling with are the measurements for the body jig. Does anyone have any idea where I can find them for this model??
The old service manual has them beautifully detailed for the S1, but the revisions to section N for the subsequent models don't appear to include any revised alignment diagram.
Can anybody help with either the measurements, or perhaps even point me to a more relevant Forum?
Thanks
1969 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Italian (repair) job!

Post by cactusman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Can't help with your question but what's not to like about a 2+2 :bigrin: :bigrin: All e types are fab...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Italian (repair) job!

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi Marko.....have a look at this jig on ebay......you may be able to contact the seller and ask for dimensions
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/e-type-Jaguar ... SwCU1YxSeu
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Marko
Italy

#4 Re: Italian (repair) job!

Post by Marko » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks Steve
I've asked the question...

I wonder - are there only very few differences between the S1 alignment measurements and an S2 2+2?
The seller of the jig on ebay talks about just adding 4 inches to the length, but is it really that simple?
1969 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#5 Re: Italian (repair) job!

Post by vee12eman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 am

Hi,

I am not an expert, especially on the S1 & S2 cars, so I can't comment about exact dimensions. However I do know that LWB cars are 9 inches longer than SWB; i.e. 2+2 S1 and S2 cars, plus all S3 cars are LWB, everything else is SWB.

That said, the IRS and engine frames are the same for S1 and S2 cars, regardless of wheel base, so the jig should be usable with the correct movement of the bulkhead fitting; presumably 9 inches.

The S3 repair manual has a nice dimension drawing:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/conte ... /file?dl=1

That may help distinguish the difference between SWB/LWB cars, but obviously engine frames differ.

Regards

Simon.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nottsman
Great Britain

#6 Re: Italian (repair) job!

Post by nottsman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 am

Can we not belittle the S2 2+2 :questionmarks:

That's my pride and joy you are talking about. I don't feel like the poor relation or inferior to S1 owners. We should celebrate that we are custodians of an iconic British sports car :wavegreatbritain: :drinkingcheers:

The general public don't know the difference, they just love to see the e type on the road.

:thankyouyellow: for reading my personal opinion. No e types or egos were harmed in the making of this rant :bigrin:
Nick
1969 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#7 Re: Italian (repair) job!

Post by politeperson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:01 am

Would this help?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222437344788? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Or do you need something heavier?

How badly bent is it?

Picture please?

James
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Italian (repair) job!

Post by mgcjag » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Marko...just to clarify.....do you want the measurements to get you car straight.....or the measurements of a jig to mount it on.......if its the latter then there are jigs that bolt to the front and rear and have an extendable center section.....have a look here http://www.rolloverjigs.com/product/jag ... /#_form_40
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#9 Re: Italian (repair) job!

Post by paulsco » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Marko,

My understanding of your request is that you want the datum measurements for your car.

I believe the 2+2 has the same floor pan as the Series Three.

The measurements for the Series Three are in the knowledge base here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqdso9a7tvjp3 ... y.pdf?dl=1

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Marko
Italy

#10 Re: Italian (repair) job!

Post by Marko » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 am

Hi all
I should have been clearer - apologies. As Paul guessed, what I'm ctually after are the Alignment Measurements so that the bodyshop can straighten the car properly.

I've got the measurements and diagram for the S1 from the Service Manual, and thanks again to Paul I've now got those for an S3. If a similar drawing exists for an S2 2+2, that would make me feel just a bit more confident, but if one of you guys can tell me with 100% certainty that either the S1 or the S3 measurements are good for mine, then that would be fabulous.

Cheers
Mark
1969 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic