The journey begins!

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
H7OB
Great Britain

#1 The journey begins!

Post by H7OB » Wed May 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Good evening all!

I thought it only proper to sign up and introduce myself! I'm just beginning the journey to fulfill a life long ambition and own an E Type and sure that this is the best place to start my learning curve! I'm a petrol head, with a love of classic cars, bikes and even the odd old watch so hopefully I'll fit in!

So, what's the car? Well, having two young boys (3 & 5) it has to be a 2+2, to have any chance of approval by my lovely wife! My ultimate would be a Series 1, solid, roadworthy, manual RHD car. Realistically, with a young family, i wont have the time to restore, but i dont mind a few jobs to do. I appreciate these don't come up every day but aim to be patient! We have actually got a cracking little Elan +2 with rear seat belts which will be a great shame to sell but onwards and upwards! I've owned various, 'interesting' cars over the years but as this will be the biggest expenditure and a keeper I'm trying to spend some time following the market as well as getting to know some of the things to be aware of.

I'm based in Warwickshire and made the recent trip to the Bicester heritage coincidentally. I saw some of the fabulous E Types but having my lively and enthusiastic boys with I me gave your pride and joys a cautious wide berth!

Anyway, don't mind me! I might chip in from time to time but if and when I find something you'll be the first to know! :fingerscrossed:

Paul :thankyouyellow:
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: The journey begins!

Post by cactusman » Wed May 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Welcome.....plenty of free advice here abouts. Sure everyone will tell you to look for rust, rust and rust. Those are the three major issues you might find...the rest is easy. Good luck with your search....owning an E is magic...you won't regret it....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: The journey begins!

Post by mgcjag » Wed May 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi Paul...good luck with the search.....look at as many as you can...even if its not one you want you will learn something by giving it a good look over....ask on here if there is any one local to you that can give some pointers and show you around there car......take your time but be prepared to jump on the right car when it turnes up... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: The journey begins!

Post by Heuer » Wed May 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Paul

You should have come and introduced yourself at Bicester as you and the boys would have been most welcome to sit in and try our E Type's for size.

As an owner of both an Elan and E Type I can tell you the latter is in a totally different league when it comes to, well just about everything actually. Anyway, bugger the cars, tell us about your watches!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#5 Re: The journey begins!

Post by chrisfell » Thu May 11, 2017 6:05 am

Paul,
You might spend Sunday June 11th taking a shortish trip to Gloucestershire. Specifically, Prescott Hill which is a few miles from Tewkesbury. There you will find one of the largest collection of E-Types anywhere this year - usually up to 200 cars - many of which, mine included, will be open doored, inviting anyone to sit and hold the steering wheel and dream of driving along leafy lanes or fast open roads.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#6 Re: The journey begins!

Post by malcolm » Thu May 11, 2017 8:25 am

I'll be there Chris, with the JDC. I'll keep a look out for you if you give me your reg? Mine's DAB 26H
I'll be doing 5 runs up the hill - are you doing that?
Anyone else going?
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
H7OB
Great Britain

#7 Re: The journey begins!

Post by H7OB » Thu May 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps! This may well take a while but Im in for the long haul!

Good call on Prescott Chris, its a place Ive never been to, plus loads of cars to see with the sound of it. Ill be just back from a boys trip to the IOM TT so it might depend on me selling it as a nice family day out!

With regard to watches, unfortunately I dont have an Autavia, but a little Heuer 7733 chrono, and a bit of a random mix of old 70s Seikos and other bits and pieces! None of which cost me a fortune but some seem to have done what E Types have done in terms of value! I just wish Id bought the E Type a few years ago but weve all got a degree in hindsight eh!

:bigrin:
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
H7OB
Great Britain

#8 Re: The journey begins!

Post by H7OB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Well the weather forecast looks good this weekend so I'll get grass & hedges done on Saturday earning us a day out at Prescott on Sunday. Looking forward to a good mooch around some lovely cars and hopefully a chat or 2 with people there! :bigrin:
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#9 Re: The journey begins!

Post by Herzeg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Paul

I finally succumbed to buying an S2 OTS last winter and, fifteen months in, I am poorer but happier. Just bunked off work this afternoon and polished the car, cleaned the wheels and will be showing it at a local car show tomorrow. The looks and comments you get everywhere make it worth it.

My kids are 18 & 13 so it's quite nice to say sorry there's no room and go on our own :dance:

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
H7OB
Great Britain

#10 Re: The journey begins!

Post by H7OB » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:32 am

Herzeg wrote:Paul

I finally succumbed to buying an S2 OTS last winter and, fifteen months in, I am poorer but happier. Just bunked off work this afternoon and polished the car, cleaned the wheels and will be showing it at a local car show tomorrow. The looks and comments you get everywhere make it worth it.

My kids are 18 & 13 so it's quite nice to say sorry there's no room and go on our own :dance:

John
Brilliant John, I like it!
Unfortunately mine are 5 and 3 and don't take no for an answer!!
Have fun at the show! :bigrin:
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic