Hello all..

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
shedtune
Great Britain

#1 Hello all..

Post by shedtune » Fri May 12, 2017 9:16 am

Well at last I can finally say I have an E-type in the shed!
A school boy ambition fulfilled..
Its a 1969 2+2 LHD so not the lightweight racer I dreamt about as a 7 year old petrol head! But an E-type never the less
It’s best described as a rolling project that ran out of MOT last year – and I must admit I broke the rules buying it before viewing so was expecting the worst, unfortunately I haven’t been able to get much shed time in the last few weeks so haven’t delved in too deep yet –but so far haven’t found any really nasty bits…yet!
The previous owner has spent a fair amount on the mechanicals – new brakes, hydraulics, UJs, suspension bushes/joints etc all looks new along with new cooling rad etc
The previous owner had intentions of restoration then got side tracked by a different project –you can spot where they have cleaned up the underside and poked at the bodywork etc assessing what needed doing ..
Engine runs well, with good oil pressure, it drives, changes gear, steers and stops. Which is a good start in my head!
The paint work is awful-faded patchy, and evidence of some “blown in” areas and the odd bit of filler .. The interior is shabby with some bits missing, all the glass seals are perished and there is a crack in the windscreen..oh and the bonnet has a small dent. Where the bumper used to be!…so you get the idea ..A “Shedstoration” is needed!
That said I reckon it would get through an MOT without too much effort
All in all I reckon I got a good project at a good price (I may live to regret those words!)
The engine has been replaced at some point (which I knew before purchasing) – the engine No in it is 7R1305 – from what I can make out this is a series two 4.2 (not a 2+2)-any advice on that engine number and what it came from very welcome! All the other numbers match up with its Heritage certificate

My “loose” plan is to have it running and on the road for some summer use next year -possibly with paint work "as is"
I have owned and restored lots of old cars over the last 25 years – in the shed at the moment is a 1976 Scimitar SE6a,Triumph 2000 mk2 (the shedi) – both these are running and on the road ,plus a 1973 Mini 998 waiting for full restoration you can see some of my dafter car moments on my blog shedtunecars.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks’ in advance for all you help and advice and patient answers to my school boy questions I will no doubt be posting on here in the next year or so!

I will get some picture on here soon when I get some shed time

Cheers

Andrew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#2 Re: Hello all..

Post by mark10337 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 am

Hi Andrew

Welcome along! From xkedata.com it looks like your engine has come from a 1969 OTS. Chances of finding which one are very slim indeed. You could only narrow it down to some potentials.
1R7133 had engine 7R1303-9 and 1R7135 had engine 7R1307-9.
It could be *likely* that 1R7134 had the engine you now have, but it would only be Jaguar Heritage who would be able to confirm this.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Hello all..

Post by mgcjag » Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 am

Hi Andrew....welcom to the forum...sounds like a great project...i also have a 69 2+2....lots of great info on the forum.....explor the Knowledge base section......also contact SNG....one of the parts providers...they have a great catalogue full of info and drawings.....get yourself the Jaguar service manual you will need it.....also look up http://www.xkedata.com there may be some info on your car there if not then put it on.....all the best and enjoy it Steve....PS...post a few photos
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
shedtune
Great Britain

#4 Re: Hello all..

Post by shedtune » Fri May 12, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks for the replies-have got myself an electronic service manual and will check out the other sources of info/knowledge you suggest
First daft question - I haven't a tool for removing the wheel spinners where would you recommend getting one from?
at least it looks like the engine is from a period car!
cheers

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Hello all..

Post by mgcjag » Fri May 12, 2017 10:56 am

Depending on what spinners you have.....tool from Lionel at cjservices1931@aol.com 07947712427. Its an aluminium tool that needs a large socket and breaker bar handle...search for spinner tool or this type that would have been supplied on a 69 car.....you will need a lead hammer http://www.sngbarratt.com/ProductDetail ... b42298&l=7
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#6 Re: Hello all..

Post by malcolm » Fri May 12, 2017 11:25 am

Hi and welcome! I got my spinner tool from Lionel; really good kit. Make sure you get a long (extendable) breaker bar to go with it. They can be tight!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic