Hello from down under

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
John_Mann
Australia

#1 Hello from down under

Post by John_Mann » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:53 am

Hi All,
As a member of the JCCV and having recently acquired a Series 3, 2+2 to share the stable with my XJC, I thought it would be wise to join this learned group and say hello. In the short time that I have owned my E, I have learnt quite a lot and will no doubt learn quite a bit more whilst I may also be able to share some of my learnings along the way.
One task that I am trying to do at the moment is find out more of my E's history, whilst it resided in the UK, but that is proving somewhat elusive. :questionmarks:
Thank you for accepting me and Miss Moneypenny into the group.
Cheers;
John

John Mann
1972 S3 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C
2007 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#2 Re: Hello from down under

Post by vee12eman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:18 am

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. Have you still got the XJC?

Regarding the history from the UK, what do you know so far? Have you contacted the JDHT and got the original registration number? Unlike here in Victoria, the registration number is likely to have stayed with the car through it's life in UK, someone may recognise it. There is a record held by the Jaguar Drivers Club (JDC), at least I think it was them, which kept and published the records for ages. I am sure the UK forum members will know who looks after the records now. I can't remember how often it was produced.

Also look on XKE data and type in the car number, maybe someone has already entered some history?

Good luck with the search, hope to see the car soon.

Regards,
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#3 Re: Hello from down under

Post by malcolm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:53 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Love the colour! As already said, try the xkedata website for info.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
John_Mann
Australia

#4 Re: Hello from down under

Post by John_Mann » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi and thanks for the welcome. Yes, I still have the XJC, and a great drive it is. Each has its own unique character and enjoy both greatly.

In so far as trying to ascertain the E's historical custodianship, whilst it was in the UK, I've had little joy.

Have checked the XKE data register, but nothing there.

I have a acquired a Heritage certificate and know it was originally delivered into Sth. Africa and then returned to the UK in 1973 where it resided until the mid 90’s, before being sold and finding its way here in Australia.

Now I thought tracing its history would be easy, as I fortunately know its registration when it was in the UK, as it is etched on all its glass as an anti-theft deterrent. What I have managed to determine is that it was registered in the UK in 1973 and its last MOT was due in 1990. Armed with that information, I applied for the historical information via DVLA, but they in turn refused to provide any information because I, as the current owner, and the car were not residing in the UK.

So I am at a bit of a stand still.
John Mann
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#5 Re: Hello from down under

Post by vee12eman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:16 am

Hi again John,

With better internet access today, I found this link, which may help you:

viewtopic.php?t=8158

The directory has been published over many editions and there is a chance you will find the information in there - all you need is to find someone with a copy of the book and ask them to look up the registration number(s) that your car held in UK. I don't know if there is a new update, because sadly, Petronel Payne, who used to be the Registrar, has passed away. However, several members of the forum will have copies, possibly spanning back several years.

Also look again at the DVLA site, where you can now type in rego numbers and track the current status of the car:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

You have probably looked at this site already, but try again by typing the rego number into the search and have a look at the details. If the vehicle has an export marker "YES" against it, the DVLA will see the car is abroad and you probably won't get further information if they are unwilling to send overseas, however, if it does not have the export marker, then you may be able to get the information sent to someone in the UK, although you may have to register the car to that person in UK, at least temporarily, you can always get the info, then get the export marker flagged to prevent further problems.

Good luck.

Regards,
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
John_Mann
Australia

#6 Re: Hello from down under

Post by John_Mann » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks for that lead Simon. Yes had checked the DVLA details and the car comes up there showing that its last Tax was due in July 1990 and it is not shown as being exported.

I'll try your other lead re the registry books as well.

Thanks;

John
John Mann
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic