New and close to buying my Etype

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
msr1
Panama

#1 New and close to buying my Etype

Post by msr1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Hey im a longtime E type lover and also new to this forum and probably the E type world.

I live in central america and believe me there are a handfull of e types around. Searching for a nice one is veeeery hard.........I found one its supposed to be a 1968 Series 2. 4.2l Engine, automatic 2+2. Black exterior with red interior the car looks really nice even though its been sitting for atleast 10 years. Its not running, looks like no rust, and has some spare parts coming with it too (engine, suspension etc.)

The big question is, is this MY E type?

Doing some research ive found this is one of the least desirable E types, also since its not running I don t know which issues I could encounter (and the costs associated). The engine is good mechanically but needs some repairs done to the generator/alternator and some others that I may not know. I imagine it needs suspension, wheels, tyres, pads, etccccc

Since it looks ok physically I would like to have it running first. I would like to make it a manual also!

What do you think should be the "must checks" on this car??? and any info on parts would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Regards,

MS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: New and close to buying my Etype

Post by cactusman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Firstly welcome. All e types are desirable. Three Things to check on the car itself are, as everyone will tell you, rust rust and rust. All of them rust and serious rust costs serious money to fix. Mechanically they are pretty robust. The XK engine should manage 40psi at 3000 rpm when hot. It should not rattle and tick. The rear suspension is robust but difficult to maintain on the car. Look for oil leaking onto the discs. Hand brake probably won't work much. Can't really comment on the gear box but if it doesn't work correctly it needs an expert to fix. As you say autos are probably not the best boxes on e types. Electrics are notorious for gremlins but then after 50 years it is hardly surprising. Almost all parts are available but many can be costly, especially trim and cabin parts so a rough interior will cost money to fix.
The other thing you must do is due diligence to make sure the car you are buying has a legitimate identify and is not stolen or cloned so examine the documentation the seller offers. Check the chassis and engine numbers match the documentation and check Xke data.com too to check if it is there and is not flagged as dodgy.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
msr1
Panama

#3 Re: New and close to buying my Etype

Post by msr1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:13 pm

that's what ive read. Check the rust on the rear arches, in the front subframe, etc. I will definitely go and take a better look at the car. The interior does look nice all red with everthing in place.

Ive read that there are some 5 speed conversions, maybe that would be the best way to go. Do you have more info on what is required on performing this conversion and which trannys can you get that are cost effective.

I guess It be nice to have that car with a better gear ratio than the 3 speed automatic that comes from factory.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: New and close to buying my Etype

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi MS..welcom to the forum..whats your name...try to put it is a a signature....nothing wrong with a 2+2 i have one a manual......the auto 2+2 is the less valuable of all the models but it all depends on what you can afford....they are still expensive cars......a 2+2 can also cost more to restore just becaus there is more of it.....dont worry yet about gearbox conversions, just make sure the car is the right one for you.....reasearch 5 speeds by searching on this forum....but really there is nothing wrong with the 4 sp syncro.and with the 2+2 it is possible to fit a jaguar overdrive......this will also depend on what rear axle ratio the car has..but these are things you can look into once you have the car......when you say Central America do you mean US......all the best Steve
Ps this link is for a parts supplier....you can search your model and it has all prices http://www.sngbarratt.com/Home.aspx?b=UK
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
msr1
Panama

#5 Re: New and close to buying my Etype

Post by msr1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi Steve, yes ive read that is the less valuable, id love a series 1 hfc but that doesnt even exist around this area... this is one of the few 2-3 left in the whole area and it looks nice even though its been parked for atleast 10 years, but looks promising.

I guess you are right about the transmission, but id like to take a look since its something id try to do first!!!

So for me I have limited options in getting one of this cars without importing etcc... pluuus its had 2 owners only and was sold by the local dealer.

Now that I know a couple more things Ill go check the car again and post some updates.

Mak

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#6 Re: New and close to buying my Etype

Post by Herzeg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Mak

Think about a US import. Many of the cars here (including mine) started off as US exports and are the cheapest you will find. Parts are easily available here and, with a weak pound, are never going to be cheaper.

Don't jump at a car because it's local and available. A runner from the USA might be cheaper long-term than resurecting a 10yr dead car locally. I personally would prefer a four speed manual and the 3.54 differential fitted to "55mph" cars makes them rev like crazy. I've had a 3.07 fitted and it still has oodles of power to pull away.

Good luck in your search

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic