South Coast Newbie

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 South Coast Newbie

Post by mach2andy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Afternoon all.
I've just joined the forum, so thought I would introduce myself.
The first 2 cars that I ever owned were MkII's back in the early 70's the first of which - a pale blue '63 Auto - cost me the princely sum of £230! I've recently rejoined the fold having just started a nut and bolt restoration of a Series 2 FHC that was purchased by the previous owner in 1982. A core plug went in the mid 80's, and the car has sat since then. Originally Regency Red [it's currently Carmen Red] the cars numbers match, and the last MOT [in '84] and the cars general condition seem to confirm that the 63,000 miles on the clock is probably genuine. It appears to be one of only 1077 RHD series cars 2 built.

Just one question to start with, where do you all go for spares? Are there any suppliers that you particularly like, or don't like as the case may be?

ATB
Andy Chalmers
[ in Hove ]
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: South Coast Newbie

Post by Gfhug » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Andy, welcome to the forum. Where does the Mach2 description come from, wishful thinking or as an airframe driver?

Most of us use SNG Barratt for spares: http://www.sngbarratt.com/
Order some parts and ask for their comprehensive catalogue, really informative.
Have you got the manuals, a definite purchase. Read the knowledge section for useful information, too. And ask your questions, you'll get lots of advice.

Slightly confused by your description of MK11 from 1963. The first automatics were the Series 1 2+2 which IIRC started production in 1965.

Post photos of your car and ask away, even silly questions, for we've all done that at some time and learned much from it.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#3 Re: South Coast Newbie

Post by Mark Gordon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Gfhug wrote:
Slightly confused by your description of MK11 from 1963. The first automatics were the Series 1 2+2 which IIRC started production in 1965.

Geoff
I assume that he's referring to the Mark 2 saloon of that era.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: South Coast Newbie

Post by Gfhug » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Mark, yes, that would nicely explain it, strangely never think much about the other cars Jaguar made, :doh:
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

#5 Re: South Coast Newbie

Post by Nickleback » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi Andy,
:welcomewave: to the forum,

Another good parts supplier is Hutsons - ask to speak to Andy
Details here: http://hutsonmoco.co.uk/jaguar.html

I'm just up the road from you with a S2 FHC rolling restoration near Pulborough, so give us a shout if you need help :mrgreen:
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: South Coast Newbie

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi Andy...welcom to the forum...have a good look tnrough the knowledge base section...lots of great info....one section E-Type List of Web Links, Suppliers, Books & DVD's

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=884

Also have a look at http://www.xkedata.com you may find your car details on there..if not then well worth entrring it.....all the best.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#7 Re: South Coast Newbie

Post by Herzeg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Andy

I have a Regency Red S2 OTS, as you can see from my avatar. Change it back from Carmen Red, it's nicer and rarer. Alternatively leave it as is and mine is rarer still :lol:

:welcomewave:

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#8 Re: South Coast Newbie

Post by mach2andy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Morning all
Firstly, thanks for the warm welcome, and your recommendations and offers.
Mark is right. My first 2 cars were MkII saloons. The mach2 username comes from the 11 years that I spent on the BA Concorde fleet as a Flight Engineer. I think I crossed the Atlantic nearly 800 times sometimes 6 times in 6 days! I might have even met some of you as pre 9/11 our Flight Deck door was always open.
As for the colour, I will put it back to Regency Red.
The only book I have so far [which came with the car] is a maroon coloured Jaguar Spares Division spare parts catalogue. The front cover is marked Jaguar 'E' Type Series 2 grand touring models. It starts with numerical parts listings, but confusingly, the pictorial section at the back [the really useful bit] is for Series 1 cars? So I will be needing some more books at some stage.
I spent the first week or so taking HD photos of every inch of the car, and soaking everything in WD40. I've pretty much stripped the interior and a majority of the under bonnet stuff, and so far everything has come apart without any dramas. All 6 ball joints split very easily, and amazingly, I even managed to get the crankshaft damper off. Hopefully I have enough tension out of the torsion bars to allow me to remove the reaction plate!!!
If you're wondering about the rest of the car, I collected the bonnet etc separately.
Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you at some stage.

Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#9 Re: South Coast Newbie

Post by Gfhug » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:27 am

Andy, a couple of books you should get:

Look in the technical knowledge section to copy parts of the service manual for printing out, very useful in the workshop, though you'll need the full manual to hand anyway.

If you join the Jaguar Enthusiast Club you'll get your first order of books at a discount and you'll probably find these will be cheaper from them than from the Long River Company.

Joining one of the clubs (JEC, Jaguar Drivers Club, E Type Club) can be worth while for discounts on insurance and parts from some suppliers. Also for insurance valuations.
WD40? Most of us won't let that near our cars, Plusgas is much better.

People will be happy to meet you, there has been a good gathering at Bicester in April the last two years, also some ad hoc meet ups at the likes of the Silverstone Classic, Goodwood events, etc.

Good luck.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic