New Member -1970 Roadster

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Lost Horizon
Canada

#1 New Member -1970 Roadster

Post by Lost Horizon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:09 pm

I just bought a low mileage 1970 that I will do a complete rotisserie overhaul on this winter. The purpose of the car is to do a Cross Canada Trip next summer as one item on the Bucket list. It's history is a California Car that came to Victoria and is now in my hands. Lovely car, drives well, but I want it to be ready for the trip, end to end. Pics attached.

Last edited by Lost Horizon on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dana
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#2 Re: New Member -1970 Roadster

Post by malcolm » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:51 am

Welcome! Car looks great, and the planned trip sounds fantastic
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lost Horizon
Canada

#3 Re: New Member -1970 Roadster

Post by Lost Horizon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:48 am

Should be interesting. I made the trip back in 1969 with a friend in a 1500 MGA that we "overhauled" (ahem) on the cheap. I swore at the time I would do it again, but with a British Car that had rollup windows. We got well soaked on the first trip. :geek:

A Series II was always on the list and the large poster in my Dorm at University was my motivation during those final exams for mechanical Engineering that year, but I couldn't afford one at the time so settled for Americal Muscle instead.. TIme to get on with it. Will park the digitally marvellous and potent BMW and wander back to the fully analog Series II for the duration.
Dana
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

juicerider
Australia

#4 Re: New Member -1970 Roadster

Post by juicerider » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:22 am

Love the colour really suits it, is that on original colour?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nefematic
Germany

#5 Re: New Member -1970 Roadster

Post by nefematic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:52 am

Welome, and congrats on the nice looking car! Sure doesn´t look like it needs an overhaul to me.

Have fun on your trip!

Martin
Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lost Horizon
Canada

#6 Re: New Member -1970 Roadster

Post by Lost Horizon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:59 am

nefematic wrote:Welome, and congrats on the nice looking car! Sure doesn´t look like it needs an overhaul to me. ...
Martin
juicerider wrote:Love the colour really suits it, is that on original colour?
No, it's not that great a job up close, it's a respray attempt. I'll take it back to bare metal and get it right. Other than that, I've been using it as a daily driver this month to figure out what needs sorting for the rebuild for the 4,000+ mile trip. The clock is toast, the tach is twitchy, the clutch is getting thin but OK. Other than that, it's very smooth, starts right away, with some resonance around 55 which could be a wheel. A bit of slack in the drivetrain, but nothing alarming.
Last edited by Lost Horizon on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dana
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: New Member -1970 Roadster

Post by mgcjag » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 am

Hi..Welcom to the forum...whats your name....please try to add it with your car model as a signature....you will find lots of great info on the forum.....have a good look through the knowledge base section....all the best.. Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lost Horizon
Canada

#8 Re: New Member -1970 Roadster

Post by Lost Horizon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:19 pm

mgcjag wrote:Hi..Welcom to the forum...whats your name....please try to add it with your car model as a signature....you will find lots of great info on the forum.....have a good look through the knowledge base section....all the best.. Steve
I'll try and document the rotisserie refresh as it happens. As an old guy, the time left is more important than doing yet another restore in my garage. I realise that most here are in the middle of those great and sometime frustrating adventures, so I hope they can understand and forgive me in that all I want to do is PM and get on the road. Life is somewhat backwards, isn't it? You end up with the money at the end and not much time to disperse it efficiently, other than maybe to put gold hubcaps on your walker...

You have an interesting and knowledgeable group on the site, which is why I signed up.

take care.
Dana
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic