New To The Forum

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Davie jay
Great Britain

#1 New To The Forum

Post by Davie jay » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi,

I am new to E Type ownership although not new to classics having restored a Triumph Stag from the ground up. I have recently taken delivery of an S3 V12 with matching numbers that I have imported from the USA in need of full restoration. Being an Arizona car showing 90k miles (possibly 190K?) with 1 owner all it's life there is no rust at all. So realistically I believed that all it needs is paint, interior and a few sundry items.... or so I thought.
Having got the car home I have begun to strip her. It looks like someone in the US has started to strip her down already to restore her but abandoned the project after having bought a few new pieces. They have then just placed everything back on the car loosely to sell. Last weekend I pulled the engine (which wasn't bolted in) and box and stripped the engine down to find a distinct lack of Pistons, Conrods, end caps, timing chain guides etc along with a damaged sump and missing baffle.

My question to you E Type aficionados is can I use the engine internals from the early XJ/Daimler Double 6 saloon V12's to rebuild my engine with? As the price for new conrods is working out at £3500, sump around £1350 and baffle around £350 and going to really eat into my budget.

Thanks all in advance.

Dave.
:wavegreatbritain: 1972 V12 OTS in a thousand and one pieces. (Lots of them missing)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: New To The Forum

Post by christopher storey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:11 am

I'm not a V12 expert, but I see no reason why you cannot use the internal parts from a saloon. The sump, however, is likely to be a different matter as most saloon sumps have a quite different shape to clear the subframes, so I feel that you would probably be better having your damaged one repaired. Marek or Peter Crespin on this board will give you definitive answers

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mach2andy
Great Britain

#3 Re: New To The Forum

Post by mach2andy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:48 am

I think my first port of call would be Tim at VSE [01597 840308]. Unless you are determined to do all of the engine work yourself, it might be best to explain your engine woe's to Tim, and see if he can come up with a price to completely overhaul your engine taking into account all the bits that you're short of. With your engine out of the way, you'll have more time to dedicate to all the other tasks at hand. When I dropped my 4.2 engine with him I discovered a payment option which I'll pass on to you if you send me a PM.
ATB
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: New To The Forum

Post by christopher storey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:52 pm

As far as I'm aware, VSE do not deal with V12s. I think Bywater are more likely to be more familiar with the V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Davie jay
Great Britain

#5 Re: New To The Forum

Post by Davie jay » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:47 pm

All,

Thanks for the info so far.

Another question I have is are the exhaust manifolds the same on the XJ saloons?

Cheers,

Dave.
:wavegreatbritain: 1972 V12 OTS in a thousand and one pieces. (Lots of them missing)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mach2andy
Great Britain

#6 Re: New To The Forum

Post by mach2andy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi Chris Hi Dave
When I initially contacted VSE about my engine, they supplied me with all of their specification sheets which included the V12 and the V8 Daimler units. Thats what I based my suggestion on.
ATB
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mach2andy
Great Britain