Introduction to forum

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
whitesnake
Great Britain

#1 Introduction to forum

Post by whitesnake » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi my name is Steve White ( whitesnake ) and it is about time I introduced myself to the forum.
I bought my E Type series 2 OTS IR12726 in May this year from the USA taking a serious punt by buying it only from pictures and description. I had to wait a month for it to be shipped and then had a nervous trip to Felixstowe docks to collect it and bring it back to Bedfordshire. On first site I was pleased to see it was as described, rust free and in driveable condition although at this stage it did not run due to ignition problems but at least it seemed to be all there. It is a Massachusets car which is a wet state but it is really sound and has obviously been well looked after by its previous only owner and has only done 53K miles.
After sorting the ignition so the engine turned over I still could not start it as it had no fuel to the carbs so it was a carbs rebuild job which did the trick and she fired up and ran really smooth, but then I encountered rusty fuel coming through so that entailed tank out for full refurb and flush the fuel lines so I know at least this is all clear. In order to MOT it I had to re bush and fit new bearings to all the front suspension and track rod ends and whilst doing this I noticed it sat very low at the front so checking the front torsion bars I found they had been WELDED in situ about 180 degrees out so that also was a full strip out and reset.Last job was to get european spec lights fitted from SNG Barratt which took ages as the rear right had to be made.
Anyway IR12726 finally passed her MOT last week so I applied for a reg plate and finally got SVR 606H today so it is buy plates and I am legally on the road, a bit late for this years shows but I will be out there next year.
This fulfills another boyhood dream as I was 12 years old when the E type first appeared and I always hankered after one but could not afford it.I( made do) for the last 25 years with a AC Cobra replica with a 5litre 302 windsor V8 engine which I never thought I would sell but finally did to part finance the E.
I am in awe of the E Type it is so light nimble fast and responsive even in comparison with the Cobra and it is a delight to drive, I certainly do not regret my decision to change.
One last thought, I must say how helpful this forum is in supplying advice to one and all regarding the problems we encounter and happy restoring and motoring to all.
Steve White
1970 series 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#2 Re: Introduction to forum

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:10 pm

:welcomewave:

Hi Steve

Welcome to the mad house!

I'm sure you're going to be itching to get out in your car all through winter.

Let's see your car. What colour is it, what's the general condition, what are your plans for it, etc?

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
whitesnake
Great Britain

#3 Re: Introduction to forum

Post by whitesnake » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Stuart, Will post some photos later, car is carmen red with black leather interior and is in very good condition generally, all electrics work and previous owner had fitted new electronic distributor and new alternator, coil and fuel pump plus brake servo. I plan to drive and enjoy car for next year whilst doing running restoration on required parts then swap from LH to RH drive next winter.
Steve.
Steve White
1970 series 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

#4 Re: Introduction to forum

Post by Nickleback » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Steve,
:welcomewave: to the forum, car sounds good but we need some pics :yeahthat:
Good that is through an MOT and you can now enjoy :thumbsup:
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#5 Re: Introduction to forum

Post by mark10337 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:56 am

Hi Steve

Don't forget to register your car on xkedata.com. How was the buying experience from the US? Was it a dealer, private, eBay purchase?
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Introduction to forum

Post by mgcjag » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:58 am

Hi Steve...welcom to the forum....please try to put your name and car model in the signature area....keep posting and enjoy the forum..... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#7 Re: Introduction to forum

Post by malcolm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:36 am

Hi and welcome!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
whitesnake
Great Britain

#8 Re: Introduction to forum

Post by whitesnake » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Just got round to adding some photos of my car now it is on the road and I can enjoy it. Still needs work to tidy up underneath and parts of interior but nothing serious, all looks sound. Plan is to use for next year and then convert to RHD next winter. Happy E type motoring to all Steve.

Steve White
1970 series 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#9 Re: Introduction to forum

Post by cactusman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Welcome....glad you finally joined the fun.....she looks lovely. Do be mindful of security for your pride and joy....one went 'missing' only last week.....plenty of threads on here about making sure you don't fall victim to thieves...

Went for a run in mine today....first for three weeks and I was suffering from serious symptoms of withdrawal :bigrin: :bigrin: lovely weather ....she was purring....well like a jag.....big smile on face...they are a simply fabulous car....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic