Moss box synchro

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Randall Botha
South Africa

#1 Moss box synchro

Post by Randall Botha » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi All,
My name is Randall Botha from Kempton Park, South Africa. I have a '64 3.8 FHC owned since 1983, been under restoration since then!
The Moss box appears to be in good condition internally. Does anyone know of a method of improving the synchromesh performance by, for instance machining/coating the cone & sleeve surfaces with a better friction material than steel on steel?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Moss box synchro

Post by Heuer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:48 pm

New Moss box parts are unobtainable and the only reconditioning you can do is to replace parts with good used ones. SC Parts have new Moss gears but they are not cheap - £1,100 for 1st and £419 for 3rd; 2nd no longer available. JB Sports can rebuild your Moss box with four speed synchro or just restore to stock. They have a huge inventory of Moss parts which are not available new from anyone else: http://www.jb-engineering.co.uk/Pages/new_parts.html
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: Moss box synchro

Post by rswaffie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Hi,
Have you tried Redline MTL in the box, I used it in my Austin Healey 3000 moss box and it transformed it. I will be using it in my etype 3.8 non-synchro once it’s back on the road.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Vonkie
South Africa

#4 Re: Moss box synchro

Post by Vonkie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi Randall! Welcome!

My '63 has Redline MTL in her Moss box and it changes very smoothly (allowing for the fact that it is a Moss box!) I am convinced the Redline MTL makes a positive difference.

I still beat the synchro to second on fast starts, and every now and then even to third if impatient, but am learning! Either really early change, or, if late on high RPMs in first, then big breath!

Guys here gave me good tip when hanging about robots, to go out of neutral to second first, to grab the synchro, avoiding the little fart to first.

In South Africa, Chemsailoils sell Redline MTL.

Good luck.
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Randall Botha
South Africa

#5 Re: Moss box synchro

Post by Randall Botha » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks guys for the tip on MTL, sounds like the safest option to try.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

E600
Great Britain

#6 Re: Moss box synchro

Post by E600 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:04 pm

If still required Klassic Transmissions in UK are a good source for the Moss box. They can rebuild to as good as new. No affiliation other than satisfied customer.

Regards
Pat

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic