New member/ pics of my 1962 Series 1 FHC

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Carkid
Great Britain

#1 New member/ pics of my 1962 Series 1 FHC

Post by Carkid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Hello.

Here are a couple of pics of my 1962 opalescent silver blue 3.8 FHC.

My father purchased the car in 1973 having seen it for sale in the classifieds of a free paper.
Dad said he always wanted a 3.8 FHC and at the time there were plenty of E Types going cheap-
even though soft tops became more sought after dad preferred the look/roofline of the FHC.
It was not in particularly good condition when he bought it and dad initially used it to race along local farm droves and on stubble fields after harvest time.
At some point in the 1970’s it broke down......dad pushed it into a shed and it didn’t move for 25 years.
Around ten years ago it underwent a full nut and bolt restoration following extensive hassle/persuasion from me.
It is no longer driven on stubble fields.

Sadly my father passed away last year, this car was his pride and joy and I hope it continues to remain in the family for a long time.
It is basically original spec as it left the factory, I have a hankering to install a decent audio / speaker system though, but I’m reluctant to alter the originality.

Does anyone know of a good audio installer who can install a DAB aerial and small subwoofer etc whilst retaining the stock appearance?

If anyone knows any history about the car it would be much appreciated- reg: 833 WAR

Best regards
Carkid

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#2 Re: New member/ pics of my 1962 Series 1 FHC

Post by politeperson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Very nice car.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: New member/ pics of my 1962 Series 1 FHC

Post by christopher storey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Indeed a lovely looking machine which i hope you will enjoy . I have just one query : is it a bit low, particularly at the front ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: New member/ pics of my 1962 Series 1 FHC

Post by cactusman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:57 pm

I would agree....maybe the torsion bars need setting a tad higher. As far as radios go you might consider a retrosound model...available from e.g. Moss Europe. They do a DAB FM one...I have a non DAB one. Looks period. Sounds fine. Plays mp3 and wav from an sd card or usb stick. Relatively easy diy fit providing your car is negative earth...easy to convert the car if not. You will be hard pushed to find a positive earth DAB radio. Use the existing speaker grills and a suitably dimensioned speaker in each grill. Any decent car aerial will pick up DAB but you can find discrete amplified ones on eBay. Personally I would not bother with a sub woofer...I really only ever listen when tinkering...when driving the XK makes a far more pleasing sound...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#5 Re: New member/ pics of my 1962 Series 1 FHC

Post by Robbiee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 pm

I have a tadpole converted hmv period radio ...not ideal fo my needs (that’s all I’m saying as I don’t want to be negative)
I have a friend who is an electronic engineer and computer software designer who has a S1 Etype
He is/has developed a system that replaces the old guts of the radio with a bespoke DAB Receiver, FM Receiver, blue tooth iPhone connection and hands free phone system. The radio’s preselect buttons are functional and activate optical switches on a circuit board. The on off/volume and tuning buttons are “virtual” and can be programmed to do any function. He’s even replaced the MW/LW window (with its little preset white indicator) with an led screen which will indicate whatever info is required eg tuned station, music playing, caller ID, switchable by clicking the tuning Knob. The display can be returned to look exactly like the original radio “window”. It’s very neat and combines the old and new rather well and actually works! The local Aston Martin Engineering people in Derby are quite keen!!
Unfortunately I don’t know how much he’ll charge ..but I guess it won’t be cheap!
I’ll keep you posted
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Carkid
Great Britain

#6 Re: New member/ pics of my 1962 Series 1 FHC

Post by Carkid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:22 pm

christopher storey wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:44 pm
Indeed a lovely looking machine which i hope you will enjoy . I have just one query : is it a bit low, particularly at the front ?

The slope of the lawn gives the impression it’s lower than it actually is - however, yes- it was a bit low-
at some point after these pics were taken adjustments were made to lift the front up a bit to the correct height 👍

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

richard btype
Great Britain

#7 Re: New member/ pics of my 1962 Series 1 FHC

Post by richard btype » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:29 am

I do believe the AR part of your reg no shows the car was registered in Hertfordshire - and if so has not travelled too far! Very nice to see it has been in the family for a good time..
Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#8 Re: New member/ pics of my 1962 Series 1 FHC

Post by cactusman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Think AR was herts. Not directly e type related but apparently the beeb have shelved plans to ditch high quality fm in glorious analogue for DAB in rubbishy low sample rate digital. So your trusty old fashioned fm wireless sets will continue to work for a while yet.....and as an owner of a Marantz 10B analogue valve FM stereo tuner I breathe a huge sigh of relief :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Carkid
Great Britain

#9 Re: New member/ pics of my 1962 Series 1 FHC

Post by Carkid » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:01 am

Thanks, I didn’t know the registration implies being registered in Hertfordshire.....
now if anyone could provide documentation and photographs
to prove Brigitte Bardot, Jim Clark and John Lennon were previous owners that would be great👍

The problem for me with FM is that BBC 6 music is the only station I listen to- and it’s only on DAB...typical.

Next week I’ve got the Jag booked in at Auto Audio in Acton for a stereo upgrade- they are certainly not the cheapest but they know their stuff and do a very good job.
They are well used to working on E Types.

http://www.autoaudio.uk.com/home.php

When I took a car there previously I was taken aback by the workshop- it really was an Aladdin’s cave for a petrol head- a mint Aston DB5 was getting a new audio system along with a 2.7 Carrera and about a dozen
Ferrari and Rolls Royce etc.

One last pic:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic