1967 OTS seat refurbish

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
dmarsh2426
United States of America

#1 1967 OTS seat refurbish

Post by dmarsh2426 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Greetings,

I have a 1967 OTS and am refurbishing the seats. The wooden extensions on the seat bottom corners have broken off. It appears these were made of a press-board material that was stapled to the metal rim surrounding the frame. Does anyone know if these were originally press-board or were they made of wood? Does anyone have recommendations on how to staple them to the metal seat boarder? I doubt my staple gun and staples will be able to penetrate the wood and metal.

Thanks,
Dan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: 1967 OTS seat refurbish

Post by mgcjag » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi Dan...welcom to the forum....when i refurbed my seats the corners were hardboard and as yours broken...i replaced them with 3mm fibre board (local diy store).....i also used the fibreboard to make replacement doorcards(as do some of the trimmers.....if you look close you should see that the originals wernt stapled to metal.....its a channel that is packed with something like sashcord rope....and runs all around the seat..the complete cover is stapled to it... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
dmarsh2426
United States of America

#3 Re: 1967 OTS seat refurbish

Post by dmarsh2426 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Thanks Steve.
I will take a closer look, but when I was removing the seat cover, I was removing the staples from the metal rim. I wonder if my covers aren't original and the cord was removed when they were worked on before?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic