Help Wanted with Buying an E Type

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
TexasEType
United States of America

#1 Help Wanted with Buying an E Type

Post by TexasEType » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:32 pm

I am British and recently moved to Texas, US. I have always dreamed of owning an E-Type and now that I have turned 40 decided to take the plunge. Sadly I don't have a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to the better models, engines etc. I know the styles changed a little namely with the bumpers and I wanted to avoid the big black fender bumpers found on some of the later models.

I have found a few models in the US (1970 and 1974) but was hoping for some sound advice on how to avoid the potholes.

Any sites or links anyone has found useful?

Many thanks
Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Help Wanted with Buying an E Type

Post by cactusman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Arm yourself with a few books on them. Clausagers factory originals book, any of a number by Philip Porter...the list is HUGE. The Chris Rooke book is also excellent....based on a series 2 but a lot can be applied to series 1 cars..

Decide if you want a Series 1, Series 2 or Series 3. Fixed head or open tourer or 2+2.

Series 1 cars are the original, and many feel are the best looking in terms of purity of lines but they do not suit everyone. The headlights are poor. The 3.8 seats can be very uncomfortable. And the Moss box on the 3.8 cars was not well liked even when new although the later 4.2 cars had a much better Jaguar box.

Series 2 cars loose a bit of the classic lines with open head lights and wrap around rear bumper but cool better, have better headlights and better brakes. As a driver's car they are reckoned to be the best bet.

Series 3 Cars have the huge 5.3 litre V12. A magnificent engine but very thirsty. They are more long distance cruisers than sports cars.

Series 1 cars can be hugely expensive. Series 2 and 3 a bit less. Open is more expensive than fixed head which h is more expensive than a 2+2.

What ever you go for look for three things...rust, rust and rust. A bag of nails rust bucket for restoring will cost more to restore than it is worth (generally). Buy the very best you can but with any car major rust will require major surgery and will empty your bank account rapidly. Get an independent inspection and evaluation of any purchase to avoid being taken in by those rose tinted specs

Others will doubtless add their own observations and suggestions...we all have our own likes and dislikes :bigrin:

What ever you get good luck and keep us posted. :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Help Wanted with Buying an E Type

Post by mgcjag » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi Chris...welcom to the forum...lots of great help and info for you here...look at the Knowledge base section it really is full of usefull info and will be a great help......well worth you also looking at the US Jag lovers site you may get some leads on good cars.......get to know the different models and workout a budget......also do you want a restoration or a driver and in what condition.....buy the best you can afford.....there can ge a lot of rust in an E Type so beware......post any questions here and even photos of cars that are of intetest..you will soon get some constructive feedback....all the best... Steve https://forums.jag-lovers.com/
Edit re Martins post below...buyers guide by Peter Crespin a forum member now living in the US
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nefematic
Germany

#4 Re: Help Wanted with Buying an E Type

Post by nefematic » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:04 pm

Chris,

welcome to the forum! This is the forum in all things E, anything you can think of regarding these cars, chances are good someone here is able to answer. A big help in gaining oversight of the model history, get the small (and to cheap) book „The Essential Buyer’s Guide“ from Peter Crespin. Further literature is available to dig in deeper once you get further in. Look at all the E‘s you can to get an idea of what you want, or don‘t want. Take your time and have fun!

Martin
Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#5 Re: Help Wanted with Buying an E Type

Post by malcolm » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:56 am

Also consider which car you can fit in! I'm 6ft 2ins, and simply couldn't get my head in the coupe or OTS, but the 2+2 is 2inches higher (and 9inches longer) and I fit in fine. I also like the extra luggage space. the cheapest of the variants because it's not the pure 2 seat sports car the original E type was designed as; still an E though!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
TexasEType
United States of America

#6 Re: Help Wanted with Buying an E Type

Post by TexasEType » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Many thanks for all your help and advice. Very much appreciated. The books have been ordered and the search continues.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#7 Re: Help Wanted with Buying an E Type

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:39 am

Hi Look at loads even ones out of your price range, this will give you fair perspective on the cheaper / lesser condition cars and then look some more ,
I spent a year looking for my 1st one ( and a week for the 2nd one funny old world )
Really try hard to not let your heart rule your head
Good luck
And let us all know how your search is going
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic