Vinyl Number Plate Removal.

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
hyperion
Great Britain

#1 Vinyl Number Plate Removal.

Post by hyperion » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi. I am finding it necessary to remove the front vinyl number plate from my 4.2 fhc. A new one will be fitted. However, after looking at a few videos on youtube to find out the best way I am horrified. :wow: Scratching and chipping for days until the plate is all but gone with some WD40 lubrication to help - I don't think so!! Thus, unless I want to have my lovely clean and unmarked bonnet resprayed as well after those kind of efforts I am looking for an easier, more car care and satisfactory solution. Can anyone help with this please. :thankyouyellow: Neil.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Vinyl Number Plate Removal.

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi Neil.....get the car out on the sun so the numberplate is really warm/hot....get a hairdryer on hot....try to lift a corner of the vinyl and direct the hairdryer heat under the lifted area and ease off slowley useing the heat to lift a tiny bit at a time.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
hyperion
Great Britain

#3 Re: Vinyl Number Plate Removal.

Post by hyperion » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi Steve. Sounds like really good advice and I can see that this could work well. So, will give it a careful try. Thank you so much. Take care. Neil.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: Vinyl Number Plate Removal.

Post by cactusman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Park in the Sun and get the bonnet hot...ideal day today here in the south east :bigrin: :bigrin: . You will have to tease a corner up with a finger nail....then oh so gently peel. You should not need scrapers and the like...A hair drier helps too. If the old plate is really fragile you may need to be patient and do chunks. You may have to remove residue with e.g water or a tar and muck removal product afterwards or a judicious use of isopropyl alcohol (IPA). Mine did leave an obvious outline mark...probably a legacy of polishing but it did serve as a guide for the new one. Don't use WD40 as it will leave a greasy surface and the new one won't stick properly. IPA (not the beer kind :bigrin: :bigrin: ) is useful to thoroughly clean the surface prior to applying the new one.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
hyperion
Great Britain

#5 Re: Vinyl Number Plate Removal.

Post by hyperion » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi Julian. Thank you for your help. The forum has certainly been a good tool for my "problem". I will be trying this mid-week so hope the sun continues to shine until then. Take care, Neil.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sjclark
Great Britain

#6 Re: Vinyl Number Plate Removal.

Post by sjclark » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:32 am

You could try "sticky stuff remover" which is available from Lakeland - priced at under a fiver, and several other high street / online sources. Pre-softening with the help of sunshine etc. is a great help.

Not used this on my e type but is has helped remove stickers safely and without paint damage from three other cars. The remover can be washed off with water after use.

BUT:
Do read the label.
Do test on an inconspicuous area.
Do wash off carefully with slightly soapy water.

Good luck
Regards
Steve
S 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
hyperion
Great Britain

#7 Re: Vinyl Number Plate Removal.

Post by hyperion » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi Steve. Appreciate your reply. Will be attempting removal this mid-week. Will keep the forum posted on my efforts and whether I was successful without too much trouble. Thanks again. Neil.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sjclark
Great Britain

#8 Re: Vinyl Number Plate Removal.

Post by sjclark » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:07 am

So how did it go?
Regards
Steve
S 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

driver
Great Britain

#9 Re: Vinyl Number Plate Removal.

Post by driver » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:17 am

Hi Rob Gill here,
Just a few words to endorse the hair dryer method.Be patient and just peel a bit at a time. :wink:
All the best.
v12 etype 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic