Hello & I need a bit of data.

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Brett G
United States of America

#1 Hello & I need a bit of data.

Post by Brett G » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Hello, I'm new to this group, I have or I should say in the process of buying a series 2 OTS that is missing the data plate, the vin # for the car is 1R8330 and the owner states it has it's original engine, I would like to verify that fact before I move forward with this purchase, Is there any quick way that you may know off to check the number for me, Please.
Thank you. Brett

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Hello & I need a bit of data.

Post by Heuer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Contact Jaguar Heritage and buy a Heritage Certificate. You will need engine number, body number, car number you already have and gearbox number. JH will send you a certificate with those numbers on it with "not original" alongside any that don't match their records. I suggest you get the vendor to do that (and pay the £35 fee) telling him it will smooth the sale. Alternatively do it yourself.

As a guide the engine number should be in the 7R8XX range, body in the 4R24XX range and gearbox in the KE51XX range.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Hello & I need a bit of data.

Post by cactusman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:31 pm

I popped the vin on Xke data. Nothing popped up but it is in the range for a series two OTS in left hand drive. Make sure you see the v5C (assuming it is already registered here in Blighty) too and check what numbers that has...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Hello & I need a bit of data.

Post by christopher storey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:47 pm

In principle what David ( Heuer ) has said is sound, but I think there is a mistake in his suggested engine number range, which I would expect to be 7R 3xxx if the engine is original and contemporaneous with the car . That having been said, I am always suspicious about cars without an ID plate unless there is unambiguous other information to identify the car e.g the chassis number being still stamped on the right hand upper front damper mounting, and I should warn you that registering a car in the UK these days can be tricky if its identity is in any way hard to establish . Keith Vincent of the JEC is the great expert in these matters, and it would be worth speaking to him before you buy : keith.vincent@uwclub.net or 01962 884088

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#5 Re: Hello & I need a bit of data.

Post by Heuer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:01 am

yes, sorry a typo on the engine number - should be 7R 38xx range.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Brett G
United States of America

#6 Re: Hello & I need a bit of data.

Post by Brett G » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Thank you for the information, I'm still waiting for the seller to find the data plate, but the vin number in the windshield does match the number on the frame rail, (once I cleaned the built up paint of it) . I also managed to read the engine number 7R3903. so that would say, if I read the replies correctly, that it also would be a engine used in E-Types, so things looking better, but holding off final payment till that data plate is produced. Thank you everyone.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#7 Re: Hello & I need a bit of data.

Post by Heuer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Yes that is probably the correct engine for the car - the serial numbers do not follow on in sequence and 3903 is completely feasible.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic