New member Greetings from the Bavarian Alps

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Xk38
Great Britain

#1 New member Greetings from the Bavarian Alps

Post by Xk38 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:01 am

Hi there everyone,

Having been an active healeylist member for many years restoring two healeys over 23 years have now decided to swap camps and become a Jaguar Etype owner.
Am the new owner for nearly a year now of 1E11798 a former US LHD Series 1 DHC/OTS 4.2 model from late 1965 complete matching numbers resplendant in Dark Blue with new dark red interior from BAS.
Also completed the Maxda MX5/headrest seat conversion covered in red leather from BAS.
Missing my gearknob overdrive switch in the Healey have upgraded the Jag with a new five speed gearbox from Tremec T5.
One last job to perform this season and that is to replace the aging red KONIs too bouncy on hard setting 1 and pitching too much on 0 setting, so have decided on SNGs GAZ with coil over for the fronts so should beef up the front end helping its handling.
Toying with a throttle cable conversion as well as i cant stand the organ pedal ..will see
Have a great weekend ..Etype season is now open over here no more snow !
Nick Jones
Etype S1 DHC/OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: New member Greetings from the Bavarian Alps

Post by Heuer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:55 am

I think you will find the standard Boge shocks are the best match for the E-Type. They are as close as you can get to the original Girling. Coil-overs on an E-Type? :banghead: Norman Dewis covered 1,250,000 miles refining the E-Type so it fascinates me why people offer these bolt on goodies with no development experience!

The Mangoletsi cable throttle system is well worth doing and makes a huge difference to the driving experience. The standard system is flawed because as the engine moves on its mounts during acceleration/braking it alters its own throttle position! There is a full thread in the Upgrades part of the Forum detailing its development, fitting and use.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#3 Re: New member Greetings from the Bavarian Alps

Post by Robbiee » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:14 pm

Sure but the linkages are more beautiful and it means you have more fun playing with the accelerator pedals ...all part the enjoyment
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Xk38
Great Britain

#4 Re: New member Greetings from the Bavarian Alps

Post by Xk38 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:13 pm

Thx for the replies have always been of the ilk to try to improve on the original to enhance even more the driving experience.Imagine what these cars would have been like in their day had they been fitted with 4 pot front ali calipers and vented discs along with coil over shocks(oil filled) and a 5 speed gearbox ,better cooling and electronic ignition and fuel pump.I can hear derisive remarks now from the purists but for me this is what takes them to the next level. Each to his own...
Nick Jones
Etype S1 DHC/OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#5 Re: New member Greetings from the Bavarian Alps

Post by Robbiee » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Lovely thoughts but original wheels and tires, matching revs to gears, brakes that suit that style of diving etc allow for , in my view a really great experience. I like the rear end to give up some of its grip gently.
There are lots of modern cars that do all of what you say but I know which way I’d rather drive!😄
Happy modernising
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: New member Greetings from the Bavarian Alps

Post by christopher storey » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:24 pm

What is the fascination with coil over dampers ? The torsion bars have stood the test of time ; I have never heard of one breaking ( unlike the springs on my modern Mercedes SL ) and are infinitely adjustable with the very sophisticated vernier adjustment

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#7 Re: New member Greetings from the Bavarian Alps

Post by Heuer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:33 pm

They are also used for setting ride height. Coil over shocks are pointless bling on an E-Type and I speak as someone who has tried most 'upgrades'. I could never work out why you need coil springs and torsion bars especially as they work in different ways - torsion bars get progressively stiffer whilst coil springs are linear. Presumably you must choose one or the other? Using both would give very weird handling!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#8 Re: New member Greetings from the Bavarian Alps

Post by JerryL770 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Heuer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:33 pm
torsion bars get progressively stiffer whilst coil springs are linear. Presumably you must choose one or the other? Using both would give very weird handling!
Curious that David. Is it because the lever arm alters as the wishbone moves up and down?

My understanding of a spring is it is just a torsion bar coiled up. Compressing the spring is twisting the bar. :scratchheadyellow:
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#9 Re: New member Greetings from the Bavarian Alps

Post by Heuer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:16 pm

A spring has progressive compression until it reaches its stop; a torsion bar is 'logarithmic' in that the more it twists the stiffer it gets. Adding the two together will give you the worst of all world's and comprehensively screw up the E-Type's handling. I have seen coil-overs/torsion bars used on a race car but I assume it was experimental. Even today the still competitive LWE's run with torsion bar suspension.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic