Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Miralf
France

#1 New member

Post by Miralf » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Hello guys

I'm from France and already be the owner of a Saab 900 classic convertible (4 seats) from 1990

Am now looking for an E type in 2020 probably a first series 4.2 with 2+2 seats because I've two young children

Glad to be there to find some good informations about French specialized e type resellers and to know more about this wonderful car

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: New member

Post by Gfhug » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:00 am

Welcome to the forum, you will get lots of help and advice here. You may find getting a 2+2 from the USA the answer as so many E Types went there. The big problem with E Types is rust in the body, which is expensive to fix. Try to look at lots of cars, not just 2+2, you'll learn what to look for. And get someone with good knowledge to look at any car you are thinking of buying.

Good luck

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Miralf
France

#3 Re: New member

Post by Miralf » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks for this !

I see you have a S2, are they all down sizing from 265 to 170 hp with the 4.2 or only the american one ?

Best

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#4 Re: New member

Post by malcolm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 am

Hi and welcome!

There was no difference in BHP between the 3.8 and the 4.2. The 4.2 produced more torque.

The figure of 265 is a bit over ambitious. That would be the power produced on the bench by cars prepared a little more "exactly" by jaguar for the initial speed test runs. Production cars weren't so carefully worked on. Also, the power produced by production cars has to allow for ancillaries fitted to the car. The correct figure I have seen quoted for a production E type varies from 170plus to 220ish.

Later USA cars produced less power; they had the 2 stromberg carbs rather than 3 SUs, lower compression engines etc.

Later cars again had emission controls. Some were automatics which take more power in transmission losses.

British spec 3.8's revved more freely than the 4.2s but had less low down torque.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#5 Re: New member

Post by MLBS3V12 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Salut Miralf,

welcome to the forum!
Happy to see another Frenh here.
Beaucoup d'info et de conseil à trouver pour ta future E!
Tu es de quelle région ?
Je suis en Bretagne.
Cordialement
Michel
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic