I own part of a 1960's Jaguar

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Danny Brent Sedan
United States of America

#1 I own part of a 1960's Jaguar

Post by Danny Brent Sedan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:08 am

Good evening from Orange County, California, USA. The car is a 1928 Ford Model A two door sedan. It was built into a hot rod in 1977 by a gentleman near San Diego, California. The car has a top which was chopped 5" and has 336 louves punched into the back panel, rear belly pan, hood sides, windshield visor. The engine is a 327 Chevrolet from a 1968 Chevy Chevelle and the transmission is a 2 speed Powerglede from a Chevy Corvair. The front disc brakes are out of a Jaguar and the rear suspension and differential is out of, I believe a 1965 Jaguar XKE. I have pictures of the differential internals. There is a marking at the bottom right on the back of the differential, it is C65. I am guessing this differential was made March of 1965?

I have identified the axle ratio by removing the differential cover and have pictures of the internals. I know it is a posi-traction axle. I am changing the differential fluid and using 80-90 weight Hi Poid oil. I have seen there is an additive for Posi Traction rear axles, do I need to se this in this differential?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: I own part of a 1960's Jaguar

Post by mgcjag » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:13 am

Hi..posi traction is another term for LSD...limited slip diff......so it has clutch plates...yes it needs an additive...or you could hear squeals from the rear end..diff oil is also available with the additive already in it....yes i think the C65 is possibly march 65.........my 69 car has C69.........Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#3 Re: I own part of a 1960's Jaguar

Post by bitsobrits » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:35 pm

Putting on my pedantic hat:

A Corvair power glide could not conceivably fit as they do not have a "through" shaft arrangement, being designed to bolt to the front of the (very unique) Corvair differential housing, which itself bolts to the front of the Corvair bell housing and engine. So front to rear: trans, diff, torque converter, engine. Not adaptable to a V-8 with separate rear diff at all. Dad was into Corvairs, owning over 50 of them over his lifetime, so I've spent some time helping keep them on the road from the '60's into the early 2000's when he sold the last one.

Chevy produced the iron case Powerglide starting in the early '50's for their sedans, and the later aluminum case ones were common in the lower spec cars, even V-8s, until the late '60's. So the transmission you have could have easily come from the same '68 Chevelle as the engine.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic