New to E types

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
ChrisCtype
Great Britain

#1 New to E types

Post by ChrisCtype » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi I’ve been a member for a few years gaining knowledge ref Jags whilst building a few C type replicas, well now I have taken a leap of faith and purchased an E type😱
Can I make a big thanks to Angus for prising out my children’s inheritance from me, I am now the proud owner of a FHC. What can I say about Angus other than he came over very honest and his level of knowledge impressed me, the work he produces is nothing short of staggering, anyway if Angus reads this I expect him to send me some brackets for my seats I now have.

Ok so I’ve been told I should start a thread so that might be next on my list, but it might be a long way off but any recommendations for seat trimming ideally kit form I want to do the work myself and any indication on cost for covers for MX5 seats which I have. Any others modified the cushion to lower the seat height

Don’t bite as I might just disappear again for another couple of years

Chris
Chris
Series 2 FHC, + C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: New to E types

Post by mgcjag » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:21 pm

Hi Chris.....welcom to the forum.....about time you got an E type......Chris is a mate of mine who has been really helpefull with my C type build...so i can hopefully return the favour with E type help......Uh Angus yes i think you have a great buy there.....he,s definatly the go to guy.....yes definatly get a restoration thread going.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#3 Re: New to E types

Post by 1954Etype » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:40 pm

Thanks for your kind words Chris. From my perspective, you were an ideal customer. Looked at some photos on Monday, looked at the car on Tuesday and trailered it away on Wednesday. An absolute pleasure to work with you and I look forward to following the project.

Angus
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: New to E types

Post by Gfhug » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:15 pm

Chris, welcome to the forum and buying an E Type. All held together with masking tape? You might wish to change that as it’s not OE :lol:
I’ve some experience with MX5 seats (you can ask Angus) and have cut away foam to give better sitting height, please PM me and I’ll discuss what I did.
As for new covers, if you’re going to cut away foam then you can’t just buy leather covers from any of the MX5 dealers as they’ll not fit and be saggy. You’ll have to get custom fit and that’ll cost quite a lot. You may need to accept Angus’s offer to recover them for you. My seat trimmer is now retired.

Good luck and a restoration thread is always good. Ask questions and you’ll soon get responses.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#5 Re: New to E types

Post by tim wood » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:35 pm

I know Chris well, a talented engineer who I think will soon be offering advice as well as asking for it.

See you soon I hope Chris.
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#6 Re: New to E types

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:38 pm

Hi Chris and welcome
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2