Another Dutchie

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Frantic
Netherlands

#1 Another Dutchie

Post by Frantic » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi people,
Hope you are having a good time with your car(s). Mine is in pieces and I just wanted to replace the speedo cable..
As an intro, my name is Frans, just turned 60, retired IT Projectmanager, and my Series 1 open headlights OTS is been part of our small clan for 25 years this year.

Delivered to New York in May '67, it found its way back to the Old World somewhere in the '80's.
There's not much history before ownership changed to our hands, but since that moment we took it on long continental trips (Rome, Austria and the Scottish Highlands as furthest points on the map).

It has always been a nice driver, and with some small and sometimes not so small maintenance we kept it on the road.
Last year I noticed a wobbling speedo needle, bought a new cable and that would be the end of the story: but I realised (not for the first time) that the speedometer and the final drive didn't match, and finally decided to 'rejuvenate' the car as good as possible. Being in lock-down has some advantages.

The rear end has now been rebuilt with a correct 3.07 gear set (matching the speedo), I redid the seats and working my way forward, replaced panels on the sill ends that had been stitched up. Replaced exhaust-manifold, rebuilt carbs, and swapped the old Kenlowe for a CoolCat fan. I am now working on the bonnet, made repairs on the hinge attachement support beam and getting ready to replace the decayed flanges on wings and centrepiece (little bit nervous there, I will admit).

I have been a member of Jag Lovers since '96 and feel that EtypeUK will provide at least as much fun and certainly as much knowledge for owners of these fantastic machines.

I hope my experience (N=1, but still) can be of help to someone sometime too,
Thanks!
Frans
The car, not the house.jpg
The car, not the house.jpg (215.99 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
Frans
'67 Series 1 OTS Open Headlights
'70 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
2007 Jaguar XK

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Another Dutchie

Post by Gfhug » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:39 pm

Frans, welcome to the best place for all things E Type and good luck with the work on your car.
I’ve had Speedograph Richfield in the UK rebuild my speedometer which got rid of the wobbling needle and gave a steady indication.

Ask any questions you have and you’ll be pleased by the help you get. I’m doing similar work on the bonnet, so you have my sympathy.

Regards

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#3 Re: Another Dutchie

Post by malcolm » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I like the colour of your car.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Frantic
Netherlands

#4 Re: Another Dutchie

Post by Frantic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:27 pm

Thanks for the nice welcome, Geoff!
Good to hear from your experience with the forum. I purchased a set of repair flanges from Monocoque Metalworks, have not arrived yet. Did you try any MIG or TIG welding on the bonnet yourself? How did that go?
Cheers
Frans
Gfhug wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:39 pm
Frans, welcome to the best place for all things E Type and good luck with the work on your car.
I’ve had Speedograph Richfield in the UK rebuild my speedometer which got rid of the wobbling needle and gave a steady indication.

Ask any questions you have and you’ll be pleased by the help you get. I’m doing similar work on the bonnet, so you have my sympathy.

Regards

Geoff
Frans
'70 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
2007 Jaguar XK

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Frantic
Netherlands

#5 Re: Another Dutchie

Post by Frantic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:31 pm

Thanks Malcolm,
Originally it was BRG, but re-sprayed and already the current op. light blue when I saw it for the first time, which helped close the sale for us ;-)
Cheers
Frans
malcolm wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 am
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I like the colour of your car.
Frans
'70 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
2007 Jaguar XK

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: Another Dutchie

Post by Gfhug » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:39 pm

Frans, another good place to buy body parts is Hutson’s in the UK. https://www.hutsonmoco.co.uk/
I’ve still to start the mig welding so nothing to report yet.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic