New to Forum - Englishman in Belgium

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Redman
Great Britain

#1 New to Forum - Englishman in Belgium

Post by Redman » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:51 am

While I purchased my 1971 S3 Auto (ex-US) in early October, I've yet to enjoy it...... Registration issues (red tape / local equivalent of DVLA) took nearly 2 months to resolve, and when I did pick the car up with new plates in hand I only drove 5 km before heavy backfiring and failing engine forced an early return to the workshop - fortunately able to trailer me back rather quickly. Ah well....... I can see that this forum is a mine of advice and look forward to engaging with fellow users / members.

Separately, I bought the car on the basis that it is a decent runner without worrying too much about total originality / high spec / concours etc. The car appears to be original numbers (no JHT Cert as yet, though I do have a Jaguar letter confirming engine and VIN etc) but while I have easily found the VIN and engine number I have not yet confirmed the body number (I have read where to look) nor the gearbox number. The latter confounds me: do I really have to remove the gearbox to check any plate? Any other way of seeing the number eg remove centre console / tunnel and use a flexible camera stalk or similar? Advice welcomed!

PS: as I understand it, if I am to get a JHT Cert then I need to supply ALL numbers (Chassis / Engine / Body / Gearbox) otherwise they will not issue - or if they do issue it will be incomplete. I have little or no background on the car beyond knowing it come into Antwerp from UK in 2010 and was rebuilt and changed from what I imagine was an original brown to current dark blue. I've no reason to believe that any of the major components have been changed, but equally I cannot prove it until I see for myself.
Gordon James
S3 1971 - Original (JHT) LHD/Auto/Air Con. Re-imported from US via UK in 1994, rebuilt Antwerp. Dk Blue (orig Sable)/Biscuit (orig Beige)
Porsche 911SC 1983
VW T2A Bus 1971
VW Beetle Cabrio 1967 (but bit of a mixture!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: New to Forum - Englishman in Belgium

Post by mgcjag » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:40 am

Hi..welcom to the forum..,whats your name...please post it with your car models.....this link gives plenty of info on the car numbers....photo shows gearbox number. ....Steve ..PS search here for your car it may already be listed http://www.xkedata.com/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/e-ty ... ke-150795/
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#3 Re: New to Forum - Englishman in Belgium

Post by Bob. » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:32 pm

Hi and wellcome.
You should be able to see the auto gearbox ID plate by removing the LH transmission tunnel access plate from inside the car (arrowed below). IIRC, from below the car it's pretty well hidden by the exhaust pipe and the oil pan which is wider than the gearbox body where the plate is mounted.

Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Redman
Great Britain

#4 Re: New to Forum - Englishman in Belgium

Post by Redman » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:33 pm

Thanks guys. Very useful. Still waiting to get car back on the road, but as soon as I do I'll update.
Gordon James
S3 1971 - Original (JHT) LHD/Auto/Air Con. Re-imported from US via UK in 1994, rebuilt Antwerp. Dk Blue (orig Sable)/Biscuit (orig Beige)
Porsche 911SC 1983
VW T2A Bus 1971

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Erikantwerp
Belgium

#5 Re: New to Forum - Englishman in Belgium

Post by Erikantwerp » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:27 pm

Hi Gordon,
A late welcome from a fellow etype enthusiast, living also near Antwerp, near the Trappist abbey :-)
Give me a shout should you need help or in finding good mechanic here in Belgium.
Cheers
Erik
Erik Antwerp
1966 S1 4.2 FHC,Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#6 Re: New to Forum - Englishman in Belgium

Post by MarekH » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:15 pm

Erikantwerp wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:27 pm
.... near the Trappist abbey....
You kept that one quiet...

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Redman
Great Britain

#7 Re: New to Forum - Englishman in Belgium

Post by Redman » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:16 am

Have found the gearbox id plate but will need to borrow an inspection caméra to be able to read the BW serial no. One step at a time! Separately, I'm hunting for the body number (hopefully LHS rear panel above fuel tank, since Tag is missing from behind rear number plate housing. Otherwise perhaps under the heater motor on the front bulkhead? I'd like to get a JHT certificate if I can.
Gordon James
Porsche 911SC 1983
VW T2A Bus 1971

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Redman
Great Britain

#8 Re: New to Forum - Englishman in Belgium

Post by Redman » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:10 pm

(EricAntwerp - I have PMd you but you need to open it for it to move from my Outbox. Regards. Gordon
Gordon James
Porsche 911SC 1983
VW T2A Bus 1971

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#9 Re: New to Forum - Englishman in Belgium

Post by Bob. » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:57 pm

AFAIK the only body number identification on S3s, other than on the bulkhead plate, was on an embossed tag held on by two rivets, behind the stainless steel trim plate at the RH rear, as shown here on this August 1971 car. This location was used from 1971 to 1973 on US cars but for 1974 it was relocated behind the number plate mount.

Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic