First post on this forum

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

rswaffie
Great Britain

#21 Re: First post on this forum

Post by rswaffie » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:49 am

That seems to have been a theme throughout last year and also this year, and not just E-Type auction hammer prices. I’ve also noticed E-Type UK (DM classics) regularly reducing some of their stock prices. If you’re prepared to take a risk, there might be a bargain to be had at auction!
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
RWB51
Great Britain

#22 Re: First post on this forum

Post by RWB51 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:38 am

Both interesting points. I had noticed a few dealers lowering their prices recently as well.

I don't want to wait too long though. Time is ticking away for me!

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#23 Re: First post on this forum

Post by Gfhug » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:23 am

Richard, if you are going to buy at auction then take a properly experienced restorer with you to help check over the cars. Even do so if going to buy from a dealer. There are a few on here, included a well respected professional (our own Angus Moss). It will cost you a bit for his time, but save you more than that in the long run.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#24 Re: First post on this forum

Post by dlgis » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:55 pm

Hi Richard, what about this one?

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/197 ... -2-2-fhc-4

Should sell comfortably within your budget and from a quick look thru the pics and details it looks worthy of further due diligence. There’s a 7.2% fee to pay on top of a winning bid.

Darryl
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
RWB51
Great Britain

#25 Re: First post on this forum

Post by RWB51 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:02 pm

Thanks Darryl.
That looks a very nice car.
Has probably come up a few months too soon as we are in the midst of some major work on the house with scaffolding up all round and having new roof and silicone rendering applied.
But it is tempting!
BR
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nichmoss
Great Britain

#26 Re: First post on this forum

Post by nichmoss » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:58 am

Hi Richard

Cranfield was a good place to upgrade your apprenticeship qualification to a degree and was quite popular in the aircraft industry but it seems to have changed to mainly business courses these days. I did Aerospace Design there and it stood me in good stead for my career. It is a small world!

The blue car that Darryl posted looks better than the ones you were looking at. As Geoff says, you need to get someone to inspect these cars but if I were you, I'd go and see a few to get a feel for them. If it's a dealer then you should be able to drive the car as well - just to check that an E-Type appeals.

Compare the blue car images to some of the ones you found. For example, the underside of the bonnet/wings and the sill closing plate just behind the battery. There are obviously lots of things to look at but if these areas are poor, then it gives you a start. The V12 is expensive to fix but the body is the really expensive part especially the main tub. Check for rust in the floor and small bubbles can hide a terrible mess. Simple things like even door shuts and a sill top line that is straight (not kinked at the scuttle) will give further indications.

Personally, I doubt V12 prices will move so much that delaying buying now will make a big difference. You'll need someone to do the big things, I suspect, and there are companies in your area and Hampshire who you could ask about.

Good luck, Chris
Chris
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
RWB51
Great Britain

#27 Re: First post on this forum

Post by RWB51 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:50 pm

Hi Chris,
thanks for those tips.
I think I need to continue with some home work for a while. But I will take someone with me that knows about he things to look for when I find a suitable car. I would rather not buy from auction to be honest. Ideally I would buy from an enthusiast with a known car history.
I quite fancy the look of the light blue car. But I don't have time to properly check up on it before the auction ends on thursday.
I note the seller is also an aeronautical engineer!

I went to City University but I also did a flight test course at Canfield which was quite exciting in a Jetstream and I think it was a dove.

All the best
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nichmoss
Great Britain

#28 Re: First post on this forum

Post by nichmoss » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:19 pm

A lot or aerospace engineers out there, it seems...

A bit odd but I happened to look a few minutes ago as I seemed to remember that it would have ended at 7:10. The auction was still running and each time somebody entered a new highest bid, the remaining time increased by one minute (I think). I'm not used to auctions of that fashion. I definitely saw a £41500 bid but it is unsold so,I suppose the reserve was above that.

It's hard to find a private sale of exactly the car you want but if you have time, anything is possible.

Good luck in the hunt, Chris
Chris
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#29 Re: First post on this forum

Post by Mark Gordon » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:45 pm

"A lot or aerospace engineers out there, it seems..."

I've noticed that, too, both here and on J-L. Lots of members with careers in aviation as pilots, engineers, and mechanics. Makes me wonder what draws aviation enthusiasts to E Types. Maybe Malcolm Sayer's engineering influence on the E Type design draws in aviation buffs?
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#30 Re: First post on this forum

Post by rswaffie » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:46 pm

If you take a look at how the Merlin engine was attached to the Spitfire body, that may give you a clue! Engine held in a tubular frame, attached to the cockpit bulkhead.
I also believe that the no.1 cylinder being at the bulkhead end of the engine is an aero engineering thing.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#31 Re: First post on this forum

Post by Gfhug » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:17 pm

Reynolds tube engine frame iirc. Yes, you are correct about Merlin cylinder numbering.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
RWB51
Great Britain

#32 Re: First post on this forum

Post by RWB51 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:56 pm

Interesting theories!

Maybe the streamlined shape of the e-type would appeal to those of us in the aero industry.
If I try to analyse why I am attracted to the e-type, it has to be the looks first for me. It just looks right from every angle. It's subjective of course and what attracts one person may not attract another.
The performance and mechanicals are also exceptional especially for the time it was created.

Another example of a car from the 1950's which I think is beautiful in its own way is a Sunbeam Talbot 90 Supreme MkIII. I admit I owned one when I was about 19 and I overhauled or replaced pretty much everything mechanical from the engine to the threaded bush suspension. It is a fairly simple car and thus suited to someone like me. I would love to find one of those again.
Again its a relatively streamlined design for the era.

I would be interested in hearing what first attracted the members of this forum to the E-type.

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#33 Re: First post on this forum

Post by Herzeg » Tue May 02, 2023 1:14 pm

Richard

If you haven't yet "experienced" an E-type then I would suggest you get to meet one. Although not that close to you, I would be happy to show you my Series 2 OTS and point out things of relevance. The Series 1 cars are out of your price range and I would agree the V12 models are usually the cheapest. they are also based on the 2+2 so are longer and have things like power steering. As pointed out elsewhere, the body is the most important as rust and damage there is expensive to fix.

I am in North London. If you wanted to come up I would be happy to take you for a drive. PM me if you're interested.

In reply to chris's comment, ebay adds time to an auction when you bid, presumably to stop you making a bid with one second left and not giving anyone the chance to respond.

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#34 Re: First post on this forum

Post by rswaffie » Tue May 02, 2023 2:55 pm

The auction Chris was referring to wasn’t EBay. Some classic car auction sites will keep the auction running if bids are still coming in at the end of the allotted time - one allows 5 minutes from the last bid before closing others allow more or less. This makes sure that the seller gets the best possible price. EBay doesn’t do that, once the time is up, the auction closes regardless of whether the last bid was 10 minutes or 2 seconds from the end time. You used to be able to get ‘sniping’ software that would place a bit at the very last second!
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
RWB51
Great Britain

#35 Re: First post on this forum

Post by RWB51 » Wed May 03, 2023 6:20 pm

Hi John,
thanks very much for the offer which would be very useful and I am sure enjoyable. But I am snowed under with work on the house for the next couple of months. Fairly major renovations going on since we moved in 6 months ago which I am trying to finish before family visit in the summer.
But I will PM you if I can arrange something in a few months time.
Much appreciated thank you.
All the best.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic