3.8 S1 seats...

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
chronomatik
Great Britain

#1 3.8 S1 seats...

Post by chronomatik » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:55 am

I have recently bought a lovely S1 OTS 3.8 E-type, my first E-type actually hence the questions. The car has been lightly modified mechanically and aesthetically. Mechanically it's great but the interior is fitted with a (admittedly comfortable) set of MX5 seats.
I would like to replace these with some original style seats, and thought I had an easy solution as I was given a pair of S1 seats with the car, but these are the slightly wider FHC version which I now understand are a little too wide to clear the folding hood frame!

So now I basically have a lovely set of series 1 FHC seats finished in red leather, and a good condition set of MX5 seats in grey leather, which I would love to sell or swap for a set of series one OTS seats.

Where would be a good place to start looking, or to advertise the seats I have? (I can't see a for sale section on here). Or perhaps there is someone out there on this forum that would like to go in the opposite direction?

Thanks very much and best regards

Nick

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#2 Re: 3.8 S1 seats...

Post by DWW » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:06 am

Welcome, in the for sale / wanted section…
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: 3.8 S1 seats...

Post by Heuer » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:10 am

Welcome to the Forum Nick.

You can advertise your FHC seats in our Wanted/For Sale section but please read the rules first. You can buy reproduction OTS 3.8 seats from SNGB amongst others: https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/UK ... %60seat%60

If you are planning on using the car regularly I would strongly suggest you keep the MX5 seats. The 3.8 seats, whilst they look good, are not particularly comfortable and have little lumbar support. More importantly they lack headrests. Get rear ended in an E-Type and it will be the end of your driving days and those of your loved one. The E-Type is very small compared to modern cars, as are the lights, which means you are vulnerable from being a victim of inattentive drivers. It is a popular conversion and many of us have done it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2215

We have driven our E-Type through Europe and covered 50,000 miles and my wife would leave me if I took the MX% seats out! You can swap out the MX5 seats and replace with the originals in about 30 minutes so one set for show, the other set for touring.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#4 Re: 3.8 S1 seats...

Post by caveman » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:45 pm

Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

typea59
France

#5 Re: 3.8 S1 seats...

Post by typea59 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:38 pm

Hi Nick,

What is the serial number of your OTS?

I potentially have a pair of black leather seats of the second version, after serial number 877356, allowing longer slides.

They’re in France (Brittany).

Cheers

Loïc

Loïc
11/61 OTS 875987
Citroën 2cvA 1953

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chronomatik
Great Britain

#6 Re: 3.8 S1 seats...

Post by chronomatik » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:01 am

Thank you for all the replies and advice, its really appreciated. I would like to buy a set of the correct seats at least to use for part of the time, so please let me know if you have any for sale. Loïc I have sent you a PM.

I will try and list my FHC seats once I can work out how to do it!

Best regards

Nick

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#7 Re: 3.8 S1 seats...

Post by rswaffie » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:21 pm

I had the correct ‘bucket’ seats in my 63 fhc and I did not find them uncomfortable at all. I’m a smidge under 6ft and made several journeys of over 300 miles as well as plenty of shorter trips and they were fine. In fact, I found them more comfortable than the seats in my wife’s 2015 Mini Cooper.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chronomatik
Great Britain

#8 Re: 3.8 S1 seats...

Post by chronomatik » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:54 pm

thanks, it does seem to be a very personal issue...the mx5 seats are certainly comfortable but the early seats seem fine to me as well..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic