Rear Hatch Interior Trim

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
PeterClive
Australia

#1 Rear Hatch Interior Trim

Post by PeterClive » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:14 am

The rear hatch interior trim card is covered with leathercloth. Three questions:
(1) What type of padding is under that leathercloth?
(2) How is the padding attached to the card? For example, is it glued all over or just in a few places or just around the edges?
(3) Is the leathercloth glued to the padding? It seems to me that unless the leather cloth is glued to the padding it will droop under gravity.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#2 Re: Rear Hatch Interior Trim

Post by Allrand » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:08 am

Mine was missing so I don't know how it was originally done but I used batting for padding , glued to the board all over. The vinyl is only glued at the back where it folds over the edge of the board. Along the top edge it's not glued to the board but folded over & glued to the lip of the glass opening & covered by the screen rubber. Don't stretch it too tight accross it's width but tighter accross the height, it wont sag.

Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rear Hatch Interior Trim

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:53 pm

Hi

Mine came from BAS with the vinyl already fitted to the board. As Randall said, the vinyl is only glued to the reverse side of the board.

There is scrim foam between the vinyl and the board and, on mine, it was very thin - probably around 2mm thick. The scrim foam only covers the board, I'm pretty sure that it does not wrap around the edges.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic