E-Type S1 4.2 DHC full restoration

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
alans
Great Britain

#1 E-Type S1 4.2 DHC full restoration

Post by alans » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:40 am

Hi Forum,
I have an Etype that has been sat in my garage for many years and now it appears that I am finding time to carry out some work on it.
A little bit of history:
The car used to belong to my father who completed a full engine rebuild and changed a lot of the rusted panels and bonnet back in the 80’s.
The car hasn’t really completed many miles since then and has minimal rust, but probably needs abit of welding around the battery area and maybe some other places.
I had the car on the road about 15 years ago and since then its only be started up occasionally.

I managed to get the car started last weekend after fixing multiple petrol leaks from some old fibre washers.

The chrome is in a bad state as are the wheels.

I am quite mechanically minded, but rubbish at cosmetic stuff such as painting and filling holes!!
I would ideally like to send the car off to be shot blasted and painted but no idea where to start. Do I completely strip the car down removing engine, wiring etc for the best results??

I am basically looking for resources and links to people who have completed similar jobs. I’m happy to read through and suggested links to blogs covering full restorations - so any links would be appreciated.
Also, are the any clubs or subscriptions that would be benefical to join?

On a more specific note. At the moment I am just trying to get it into a state so i can at least drive it out of the garage before I start taking bits off.

The pump on car is the orginal AUF301 which i have to tap with a spanner to get working. After taking the pump to bits I can see that the contacts need replacing which is relatively cheap. Would it be worth biting the bullet and buy a new electronic pump (AZX1308EN) without the contacts?

Also the fuel lines are all rubber hoses, which apart from one are in good nick. I’m just wondering if i should replace with nylon or keep to the rubber hose. I read somewhere that nylon lines are prone to leaking at the banjos, but others say they are better. If rubber is preferred then is the ID 7mm or 8mm(1/4 or 5/16).

Any and all advice will be greatly received, but please be gentle!!
Thanks,
Alan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: E-Type S1 4.2 DHC full restoration

Post by mgcjag » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:29 am

Hi Alan....welvom to the forum...your in the right place..all the info is here that you could possibly need..start here in the Restoration section...and then thoroughly read through the Knowledge base section..Steve viewforum.php?f=8
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#3 Re: E-Type S1 4.2 DHC full restoration

Post by DWW » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:03 pm

Welcome, I guess some photos of the general condition of the car would help in pointing you in the right direction.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#4 Re: E-Type S1 4.2 DHC full restoration

Post by tim wood » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:00 pm

Hi, maybe contact Marek on this forum. He can supply you with an electronic system which fits inside your current SU pump and does away with the points set up. Much cheaper than buying a new pump.

Good luck with your project.

Tim
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#5 Re: E-Type S1 4.2 DHC full restoration

Post by chrisfell » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:46 pm

"Would it be worth biting the bullet and buy a new electronic pump (AZX1308EN) without the contacts?"

I would, I did.
But then I've dunmped the points and condenser and the OE starter motor as well. And I have a single wire alternator (built in regulator).
I have all the original bits in an Originality Box.
But for driving I'd prefer the reliability of the newer parts.
I also use synthetic oils, and iridium spark plugs and I'm happy with ethanol in the petrol. Others predict all manner of dire consequences as a result, none of which I have experienced.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: E-Type S1 4.2 DHC full restoration

Post by Gfhug » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:27 pm

Alan, welcome to the best place for all things E Type. Steve (mgcjag) has pointed you towards the restoration section, a great place to start. Be very careful of shot blasting as it can be very easy to distort panels, especially the bonnet. Many have resorted to a combination of paint stripper and abrasive pads to clean down the metal. There could be many hidden problems in the sills so a endoscope type camera can reveal lots of what’s in there and if you need to drill a hole to gain access then you will get good advice how to go about it. You might find joining either the JEC or JDC worthwhile as both will get you discounts at SNG Barratt, the major supplier so many of us use. New engine frames might be needed(ask or search on here for the best ones) and new panels can be obtained from Barratt’s and several other suppliers.

Good luck and if you feel like starting your own restoration topic then it can be a great way of getting help.

Look for Chris Vine’s E Type blog online, extremely valuable. And monocoque metalwork in the US has lots of useful blogs on their website.

Ask questions and you’ll get lots of helpful advice and information.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic