New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Jonnyenglish
Great Britain

#1 New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Jonnyenglish » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 pm

Hi everyone

I’ve just ‘jumped in’ to e type ownership - perhaps not the best way - but what the heck! …. We bought a 1963 3.8 FHC at auction at Goodwood at the weekend…

She looks great and got us from Goodwood to York in 5 hrs without a hitch - which hopefully means we haven’t bought a pup!

I want to find some local serving and restoration contacts - if anyone has any recommendations?

Initially I want to have her looked over for a ‘health’ check - with a view of running her for the summer and then probably looking at some sympathetic restorations in the autumn/winter - though the drivers door needs some attention immediately as it’s not closing at all well(!)

Ideally - I’m looking for someone to give me a shopping list of what needs attention.

So - does anyone have recommendations for friendly ears in the York / East of York area please?

Thanks in advance!

Jonny

Jonny
1963 E-Type Series 1 3.8 DHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#2 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by DWW » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:15 am

Welcome to the best place for all things e type. As a Londoner can't help you on finding contacts in and around York, I am sure some folks more local to you will chime in with suggestions. I see the car was converted to LHD and to a five speed box which I had done on mine. I noticed they were only 3 or 4 bidders at the auction and she ended going for a fair price. Enjoy.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jonnyenglish
Great Britain

#3 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Jonnyenglish » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:03 am

Thanks Danny. We have a similar car collection!
Jonny

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Gfhug » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:23 pm

Jonny, welcome to the best place for all things E Type. One of the best respected restorers is having an open day in Letchworth, not round the corner but well worth getting down to see him and meet others from the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20497

You could also chat with either Ken Verity or Ken Jenkins, both a bit closer to you. Make sure whoever you speak to genuinely knows E Types, not just claims to or says they’ve worked on them. It is well worth going the distance to speak to a proper expert.

Please add your car type to the signature area, click on your user name top right and you’ll see how to do that. It helps other know how best to answer questions as some information is particular to the model.

Have fun and keep smiling

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jonnyenglish
Great Britain

#5 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Jonnyenglish » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:36 pm

Thanks Geoff - sound advice and I'll see if I can make the Letchworth event.

Hopefully sign off works now :-)
Jonny

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Heuer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 pm

I can recommend Ken Verity in Rotherham. He no longer advertises or has a web site as he has so much repeat custom. You can contact him on 01709 838352

Heading south there is P&K Thornton in Nottinghamshire. Despite the distance Angus Moss is always reliable and well respected. He is also a Forum Moderator so if you are not happy we can imprison and torture him :bigrin:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jonnyenglish
Great Britain

#7 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Jonnyenglish » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:02 pm

Many thanks David - very helpful. I was looking on the Thornton website last night as it happens!
Jonny

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#8 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Gfhug » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:03 pm

Heuer wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 pm
Angus Moss is always reliable and well respected. He is also a Forum Moderator so if you are not happy we can imprison and torture him :bigrin:
Volunteers for operating the rack, thumbscrew and other medieval tortures please form an orderly queue :bigrin:
Sorry, Angus, but blame David for starting the topic drift
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ash
Great Britain

#9 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Ash » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am

I have heard very good things about Paul Brown Classic Cars in Ripley, Derbyshire

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jonnyenglish
Great Britain

#10 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Jonnyenglish » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:01 pm

Thanks Ash. I’ll add to the list !
Jonny

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

macman
Great Britain

#11 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by macman » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:51 am

Hi , if your handy & confident using spanners ,buy a service manual to refere to ,
then get it an MOT, this may be a cost effective way to start.
Thus avoiding any large inflated bills.
Rob Gill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jonnyenglish
Great Britain

#12 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Jonnyenglish » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:24 am

Hi Rob

That’s some great advice. We have a chap in the village who does MOT preps and used to work on my Audi GT many moons ago - and is a mini restorer that can have a good look over her for any obvious issues. Tbf engine and gear box all seem very happy

I know what a spanner is but like many it’s been some time! Dangerous tinkerer is how I’d probably describe myself’. Thinking about a night school course in the basics.

Any recommendations for an idiots guide on the Mark 1 the 3.8 ? I used to have a Haynes manual for every car I had…! - any recs welcome

I have 2 initial problems - the drivers door seals need replacing and the drivers door isn’t opening from the outside (the door push button isn’t engaging) and the drivers door restraining strap is missing…. The car came with 2 door handles on the boot. One (drivers) is brand new - complete with key etc - so I suspect it was on the previous owners ‘to do’ list. Don’t know how easy those are to sort by a beginner. I’ll post some info on the technical forums for hopefully more help and advice. All the seals need doing really as they’re all looking their age - but not sure if I’m better leaving till they leak (and keep them ‘original as long as possible) or if it’s an easy job better doing when I do the drivers door - which is the worse (a little bit noisy at speed!).

I spent all Friday giving her a thorough clean and look over and no nasty surprises. A small amount of rot on the bonnet passenger side bonnet edge near the door and some rust ‘blooming’ on the paint on the pass side rear / back of the wheel arch and a few little chips else where but body work looks pretty sound.

I want to run her this summer and get the ‘tidying up’ bits done in the winter - which will need someone to do the body work obviously - but I want a car to enjoy driving rather than a concourse winner (at the moment).

I must say - I’m enjoining the experience - so far anyway.

I’ll get onto the other forum posts - after I’ve taken my pal to the pub in her :)

Thanks

Jonny
Jonny

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#13 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Heuer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:04 am

The Forum Knowledge Base is worth a perusal. Start here: viewtopic.php?p=4425#p4425
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#14 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Gfhug » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:52 pm

Amazon has the manual David has referred to:
JAGUAR E TYPE MODELS 3.8 & 4.2 LITRE SERIES 1 & 2 SERVICE MANUAL

It is essential reading and reference and as pointed out in red in David’s link “you must own it” not just rely on the technical knowledge section.

You can take the door lock off the car and by using leaves from others get all the locks working from the same key. Worth getting keys cut to the code, eg FS900 so you get new, correct profiles rather than copies of worn out keys. Then rework your locks to all work from the same key.

If the leaks can be lived with till winter then do so as getting the new seals in properly around the door needs the door taken off. And you need to read up on here how best to go about that so you get the door sitting properly again.

Ask questions, but ask one at a time in a topic so you don’t get only part answers. The search is very useful, though learn how best to use it by a bit of trial and error.

Good luck

Geoff

PS join the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club or the Jaguar Drivers Club then when ordering parts from such as SNG Barratt’s you’ll get a discount that’ll pay for the membership.
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jonnyenglish
Great Britain

#15 Re: New member from York looking for servicing and restoration contacts

Post by Jonnyenglish » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:26 pm