Hello from North Yorkshire.

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Tips
Great Britain

#1 Hello from North Yorkshire.

Post by Tips » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:10 pm

Hi,

E Types have been on my list since c1995: was close to exploring a deal then on a red S1 FHC at Woodmanton Classics, if you recall them, but decided to keep my classic instead (and still have it). Other classics came and some went, then finally in 2021 I purchased my E.

Completely restored in the 80’s, extensive mechanical works (again) in the 2010’s: engine, box, diff all rebuilt, high torque starter, Luminition, alloy front brake calipers and GAZ shocks.

Paintwork showed some age in the form of star crazing/cracks and the car was hardly used since the mid 90’s, even following the extensive mechanical works referenced above (I know all about life getting in the way though with some of my cars covering embarrassingly low annual mileages). I had it repainted which revealed lots of high build primer (from the 80’s restoration) and just the lightest of surface rust here and there from the paint cracks thankfully.

Now looking splendid in Cream the E is all matching (numbers and colours) and I’ve completed loads of fettling as a result of the cars limited use, really enjoying that process - the information on this forum has been invaluable in that regard.

The E has been nothing but an utter joy and I can honestly see me being her custodian for as long as I’m around (along with one or two others). The joy the E brings to me and others is amazing and I hadn’t quite expected that, far more so than any of my other classics.

Aside from local trips (including Donington Classic twice, and again in a few weeks time) we’ve completed three glorious French road trips including Le Mans in 2023, and a first visit to Goodwood Revival on the way home from one of the road trips last September (what a wonderful event that is).

Very roomy (in FHC guise certainly), and relaxing at a steady 85 MPH on the auto-routes, the E is made for crossing continentals. Then you visit your local twists and turns and sense the squatting and progressive ‘slide’ as it blasts out of the corners - more tyre deflection than actual slides I sense, what a thrilling sensation.

That engine, goodness it’s impressive with so much torque and a lovely ‘meaty’ sound, and the box is smooth and precise. The (updated) brakes are good too and the E isn’t lost at all in amongst much more modern fast stuff. Incredible really and a testament to how right the E always was (with some subtle and modern improvements perhaps, not available back then).

I can recommend a high capacity alloy rad and modern fan which cools the car, and your nerves, brilliantly - my E ran hot when stationery and even in the plus thirty degrees of last late summer, she never went above c75 degrees in any circumstance.

At Christmas I tracked down owners from the 70’s, shared some lovely memories and uncovered old photo’s of the restoration in the 80’s. This car makes and connects friends like none other - can you tell I’m smitten!

So thanks for all the advice you’ve thus far given me and excuse my lengthy prose - you know all that really from your own experiences, we’re lucky people aren’t we.

Last edited by Tips on Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
E Type S1 4.2 FHC (original RHD)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RICHOT
Great Britain

#2 Re: Hello from North Yorkshire.

Post by RICHOT » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:20 pm

Hi Paul,

What a lovely write up 👍👍👍.

I was and still am (since c1996) totally smitten with my ‘E’.

I’ve done ‘40+ miles in it ( S.Africa twice, USA 3 times, Canada and all over Europe) and it, as do all E’s, always attracts a lot of attention.
I just love it and it’s my favourite classic👍👍.

Happy, smiley, motoring,

Richard
1950 XK120
1965 S1 E Type DHC
1989 Porsche 911 Carrera cabriolet

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Tips
Great Britain

#3 Re: Hello from North Yorkshire.

Post by Tips » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:33 pm

Thanks Richard, goodness me that’s an impressive list of road trips! We’re planning an anti-clockwise, three week continental trip next summer in the E starting after Le Mans, heading south for a week on the Riviera then into Italy for a week and back home via Switzerland and Germany.

I see you’ve got a Carrera 3.2, me too, a coupe (also 1989). That one’s on Le Mans duty this summer then heading down to the Dordogne for a weeks hols after the race. Another ‘keeper’ for me that one.

Cheers

Paul
Paul
E Type S1 4.2 FHC (original RHD)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RICHOT
Great Britain

#4 Re: Hello from North Yorkshire.

Post by RICHOT » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:18 pm

Hi Paul,

I have ‘down sized’ from 5 to 3 classics and although I love the others, my E will be my keeper and will probably see my to my grave!
Cheers, Richard
1950 XK120
1965 S1 E Type DHC
1989 Porsche 911 Carrera cabriolet

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

villagetunic
United States of America

#5 Re: Hello from North Yorkshire.

Post by villagetunic » Fri May 03, 2024 10:19 am

Even if I enjoy the other three of my classics that I have "downsized" from five, my E geometry dashwill be there for me always, and maybe even forever.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic