New To E-Types

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
andy8688

#1 New To E-Types

Post by andy8688 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi,
I am having a 1969 S2 2+2 restored, the car is basically sound with no corrosion, they have advised me, the bonnet had some paint lifting due to heat, quite a lot on the bonnet.
To rectify this, they have said to to put a layer silver reflect a cool under the bonnet, this is a self adesive aluminium and fibre glass protective film, this is to deflect the heat.

I think they are cutting costs, not painting the underside of the bonnet. [/quote][/code]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Andy

Welcome to the forum.

Jaguar never thought it necessary to fit heat reflective material and I have never seen a standard road going car require it, certainly if fitted with the standard manifolds. If you have stainless steel manifolds and are worried about heat then the answer would be to wrap them in DEI exhaust wrap rather than use Reflect-a-Cool on the bonnet. My car has a 'goosed' engine and s/s manifolds so produces a lot of heat but I have not had any problems with the bonnet paint even crawling through the centre of Biarritz in 42c heat. An XKE engine runs at about 75c water temp, oil about 95c, neither of which would be hot enough to harm the paint. I put a laser thermometer on my engine the other day and the hottest part registered 56c.

Sounds to me your car had an over heating problem (or fire) in the past which, if still present, needs addressing. Otherwise they are pulling your chain!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Car-Nut

Post by Car-Nut » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:17 pm

Heuer wrote:Andy

My car has a 'goosed' engine !
Andy, Welcome to the forum- this is right place for all your problems :wink:

David, whats a goosed engine, when something is goosed, to me that means knackered. Please educate me otherwise

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Clive

I am showing my age. In the good old days before political correctness took hold it was OK to 'goose' a girl (pinch her bottom) without being sued or arrested. This invariably caused her to jump rapidly forwards in a startled manner. So when we say a car is 'goosed' we mean it is highly tuned with very rapid responses. I could go on about 'hum-dingers', 'duessy's' and 'atagirl' as well as a few others. :?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Andy, if the surfaces of your bonnet are properly prepped before painting, you should have no problems with heat damage. Lifting is almost always due to insufficient preparation. I've also heard that fire damage can be difficult to remedy, but I have no personal experience with this (thankfully).

I ran my BRG '65 FHC for several years around southern California, where summer temps frequently break 40C and I had no problems. Prior to painting I had the bonnet chemically stripped and applied zinc chromate primer. Paint was two-pack urethane enamel.

I fully agree with David's comments regarding road cars not needing any special attention. Controlling under-bonnet temperatures is more a matter of getting positive airflow through the area than applying reflective materials.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic