Hi from a new member! Now onto business... fhc vs roadster?

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
adfergusson

#1 Hi from a new member! Now onto business... fhc vs roadster?

Post by adfergusson » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:40 pm

I've decided to take the plunge and buy an e-type!

However, I initially had my mind set on an FHC rather than a roadster. My reasoning for this was practicality as I've heard that the roadsters can leak like sieves in the rain and, more importantly, that I wouldn't fit in one (I tend to spend a lot of time chasing egg shaped balls and running into people!).

But I'm having doubts as to whether my initial mindset was right. It seems that I can (just) fit into both a roadster and a FHC. As a result I'm now trying to decide whether ruling out a roadster was premature?

Can anyone share their experiences of living with a roadster vs a FHC? Precisely how miserable would it be to be stuck in the rain in a roadster?! Is the wind noise with the hood up bearable? Are the roadsters more prone to rusting? Are there any other practical issues that I should be aware of before I take the plunge.

Practicality is obviously not the be all and end all to me (I have managed to justify buying an E-type over a soulless but modern and reliable car after all!) but I'd appreciate any advice so that I know what I'm getting myself into before I part with my money!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Car-Nut

Post by Car-Nut » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:56 pm

adfergusson, welcome to the forum.

Personally I love the FHC over the OTS as I prefere the shape.

But no doubbt you will get everyone on here shortly putting in there 2p why what is best and whats the others downfall.

Which ever you go with Im sure you'll love it :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:21 pm

The OTS (Open Two seater) does not leak providing the hood has been fitted properly. The only 'suspect' area can be the front rail seal, where the hood bow butts up against the screen frame, but this can be easily adjusted. All the other areas of potential ingress are the same as the FHC - door bottoms, windows, mat fixings and rear door. I have driven my OTS through heavy thunderstorms in France without getting wet. Noise with the hood up is OK, besides which you will normally have the roof down unless it is raining. A well sorted E-Type is pretty leak proof. On the flip side the FHC can be a very warm place to be on a hot summers day in slow moving traffic.

The FHC and OTS rust equally if not looked after although an un-restored OTS may be worse than the equivalent coupe.

As for living with an OTS I have found no problems after 22,000 miles. Luggage space needs to be considered if you are going for a long 2 or 3 week trip. Our solution was to buy the bespoke E-Type fitted luggage which carries enough for two people for a week. We then send everything to laundry at one of our Hotel stops. If you need more cabin space consider an S3 OTS which has the longer wheelbase of the 2+2.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

harryetype

Post by harryetype » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Hello and welcome to the Forum

I drive both FHC and Roadster and i totally agree with David on all counts, therefore the choice if the budget allows should be on what you rather have.

If I had to make a choice I would go for for a Roadster, I drove home in a nice early flat floor tonight with the roof down and it was was great and I never get bored with. However I also enjoy driving the FHC but not quite as much.
Harry

My Dads old V12 TOM 32
1968 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:58 pm

I also agree with David on all counts. However, my take is that whilst the convertible is very pretty, the coupe is just downright gorgeous. The rear haunches are accentuated by the swooping roofline with no compromises. Bill Lyons always preferred the coupes to the convertibles in the XKs and E Types and he really disliked the XJ until the coupe came along. He knew a thing or two about design

Just take a look at the lines looking at the car from a threequarter view...front or rear. The Coupe is near automotive perfection.

Only the aesthetic view of course!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
adfergusson

Post by adfergusson » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:55 am

Thanks for your input everyone! Although I still can't make up my mind.

Its definitely a tough choice; I also think that the FHC is (slightly) better looking as its lines do seem to flow better.....but the idea of top down motoring does sound have its appeal.

I think my decision will likely come down to finding a car, FHC or roadster, that I think represents particularly good value, not in price alone but price relative to the cars condition. I'm not after a concours car but I'm certainly not after a basket-case or fixer-upper either.

Thanks again everyone,

Alex

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:38 am

Alex

Give Harry a call and have a look at what cars he has in stock. Perhaps a test drive in both will help. I have to agree with Mark, the FHC is the ultimate design icon and the OTS does not look its best with the hood up. Either car will give your hours of enjoyment. You could of course do what a lot of owners do - buy one of each!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

harryetype

Post by harryetype » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:03 pm

The FHC is the ultimate design, however unlike most cars that have the roof choped off such as the 911 and the most of the Astons the E-type OTS still gorgeous and correct.
Harry

My Dads old V12 TOM 32
1968 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ginger

#9 Decisions, decisions...

Post by Ginger » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:27 pm

I also agree with the comments above. I consider both of my Es to be drivers, so I take good care of them. I love my cars for their own unique qualities.

My first E was my uncle's from new -- a '71 Series III 2+2 FHC Regency Red with Cinnamon interior. It is a roomy and comfortable ride. Perfect for a long trip. It's a true tourer. No trouble with cargo space! The power steering, air conditioning, seats, etc., provide more luxury than the SI or SII. I prefer a manual, and I do like to autocross (slalom) the car, too. I've taken it on lots of trips, and a there's also a few pics of it in Pete Crespin's E-Type buyer's guide (a great tool! I recommend you get both books, in fact).

After <5 years of ownership, I began a search for a Series I OTS, never having owned a drop head of any type. The '66 has a 4.2L engine and all synchro gearbox with neck snapping torque :twisted: and can beat my V12 handily, especially since it has a lowered diff (2:88 from the 3:54). It helps on long trips, though, dropping the top end RPMs by 1000. The Series I feels smaller to ride in but I don't have an issue with either being only 5'1". Not much room in the boot, but adding a rack is another option.

It may come down to budget, and f course, as a general rule....if the top goes down, the price goes up. 8)
Ginger
Central Florida
1966 SI OTS, Golden Sand
1971 SIII FHC, Regency Red
1935 SSII Tourer, Cream

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic