Greetings from Dayton, Ohio, USA

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Mockingbird

#1 Greetings from Dayton, Ohio, USA

Post by Mockingbird » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Been lurking for a bit and have been impressed with the knowledge, talent, and camaraderie. I collect and restore American Muscle but am fascinated by ALL marques (I have an Austrian '71 Steyr Puch, Pinzgauer for exploring our beautiful land). I am doing my research now in hopes of purchasing an E-type soon.

Thanks.
Sam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Sam - Welcome to the Forum!

Lots of friendly advice and information herein but don't hesitate to step in with a question if you have a concern.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Very much appreciated David.
Sam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

Post by Mark Gordon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Welcome to the forum, Sam. I think that you will find, as I have, that this is a great group of very knowledgeable and friendly folks who are eager to share their expertise. Just ask, and it shall be answered.
I was raised in Fairborn and my wife is from Kettering, but we don't get back to Dayton too often anymore. Our older son lives in Hilliard, so we make the trek to Columbus fairly often (grandsons, you know!). We usually make the family get together in Dayton at Thanksgiving.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks Mark,

I grew up in NE Ohio till age 17, but moved away (schools, USN) and never thought I'd return. Been here for 2 years and am really enjoying the season changes (came here from AZ). The fall tree colors are shaping up to be glorious - I certainly missed the beautiful Ohio autums.
Sam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

Post by Mark Gordon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:19 pm

I agree, this is a beautiful time of the year and the best weather of the year. When I was stationed in Oklahoma, we had two seasons, brown and browner. When I left Oklahoma to settle in Virginia, I was driving across Tennessee in July as the evening air was filled with typical eastern smells and I suddenly realized that I was smelling "green" for the first time in a couple of years!
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Will be finally inspecting a '62 OTS this coming week...driver quality, original drive train, Pearl Grey, red interior, black top. Been doing lots of homework (thanks for your inputs). Will report my findings and results of negotiation next weekend.

Thanks !
Sam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

Post by Simonpfhc » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:49 am

Welcome to the forum Sam. Good luck with your viewing and hope to see pictures soon :-)

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Disappointed to say the least. "Rust free" car had tell tale signs of hidden rust in the rear wheel well areas (fore & aft) with copious quantities of poorly applied filler and both depressed foot wells were repaired (poorly) with fiberglass. Not sure how the owner could assess his car as "rust free". After pointing this and some engine issues out to him he lowered his price, but not enough to make me feel comfortable with the unknown and invariably additional rust associated with the wings and inner structures. Well, I have learned alot about these terrific mounts and my quest continues.

Requirements: Driver quality Series I OTS, '62-'67, darker colors (red, maroon, blue, black, green) and paler colors (white, grey, silver). Prefer biscuit, red, or blue interior. Willing to pay market for a dry (truly) rust free car.

Thanks! :P
Sam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi, Sam. Just be glad that you discovered all the problems with the car in the seller's garage and not in yours. I've been messing with E-Types since the early '80s, have owned two, but have looked at dozens over the years. It always amazes me how some cars can be described as "rust-free." Keep the faith--there's an E-Type out there with your name on it!
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Sam,

speak to Harry Fulford of E type US. He might be able to help you find the right car. No need to buy a rusty car - particularly in the US!
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic