new member needs help

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
ianfrance

#1 new member needs help

Post by ianfrance » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:16 pm

Hello just joined the forum. I live in France and have just bought a matching numbers 1961 flat floor series 1 3.8 FHC. It is very nice and in A1 condition. My issue is I have manuals which tell me everything but obviously all the oils and lubricants no longer exist. Can anyone with an early series one aid me in knowing what good quality modern types to use in the engine, gearbox and axles.

Any help greatly appreciated. And don't get me talking about the paperwork to get it registered in France?!

Ian

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi Ian...welcolm to the forum....Im sure you have heard of SNG Barrets....supplier af lots of Jag parts....have a look here at there selection of Morris lubricants. http://www.sngbarratt.com/PopularItems. ... =10&page=1 Note there are 4 pages......all the best..... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

Post by rfs1957 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:22 pm

Welcome aboard Ian.

Best advice you will ever get, and you've only been here 5 minutes : don't register it in France, full stop. Perfectly possible to insure it over here, and legal to drive it. And no PVs for ........ ahem ....... any excesses. If you INSIST on registering it, it's dead easy ; CG DE COLLECTION is a formalit? via the FFVE, dead cheap, and for strict minimum insurance I pay Bailly in Dijon 90? a year.. No need to return for an MoT as long as you stay in France, I have a voluntary French CT done every year. Need any advice PM me. Thirty five years of experience this side of the water on all sorts of odd vehicles.

FWIIW I buy MOTUL classic oils from GT2i - they make good oil, I use their V300 in all my modern stuff and racing bikes, and they have stuff that is sutiable for the Jag both for motor, gearbox, and diff.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:33 pm

Having driven 40,000 miles through France I use any 20W50 mineral oil I can find. Failing that I use Mobil 1, failing that I use anything slippery. Basically any oil will do including synthetic. You choice will only affect oil pressure because the XK engine is very tolerant as long as it has some form of lubricant. Try Carrefour supermarket or similar - just don't worry too much about grade, it will only (marginally) affect your consumption and pocket.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic