e type series 2 fhc

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
simon xk8

#1 e type series 2 fhc

Post by simon xk8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi folks have decided to buy an e type looking for a series 2 fhc 4.2 looking around and have found one in blue has been restored new interior body work stripped a refurbed as has suspension all looks very good restored several yrs ago seller asking just under ?47000 pics a documents of refurb no concours winner I'm sure just a lovely looking jag was wonderingif this is a good price or not ? Many thanks simon :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iani
Great Britain

Post by iani » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi Simon,

I can't comment on the value, just noticed where you live, are you Keith's (Jag Tech) mate my any chance?

Ian

PS. I"m in Corby
1970 S2 2+2 4sp w/OD in BRG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vikla
Great Britain

Post by vikla » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Here's another similar car for 42K
http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/car ... s_for_sale

Classic Cars latest price guide suggests for S2 FHC
46500 Concours/dealer
37500 Good, no big faults
22500 needs work
14000 needs total restoration

However prices seem all over the place these days.......
Steve
S1 4.2 FHC 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
simon xk8

Post by simon xk8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:21 pm

hi Ian no don't now him , the car is at a dealers Dd classics in london thanks for the info Steve I'll have a good hard think , have had a fair few jags in my time just sold a new shape xj a lost a packet on it looked at a f type just don't fancy loosing another twenty odd grand in a few yrs time when I come to sell it always wanted an e type since I was a lad so I thought now is the time before my back goes completely soon followed by my hair lol thanks for your help guys

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

Post by 288gto » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:47 pm

Simon,

Looking on their website, it states that it is an original rhd yet the wipers park on the wrong side. Might be worth questioning this.

Simon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
simon xk8

Post by simon xk8 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:31 am

Well spotted so it is does this mean it was a lhd in a previous life ? Or could the wipers been installed wrongly in the rebuild ? Dealer says it has a heritage certificate would this say that it was a lhd when it was built originally ? Thanks for your help

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iani
Great Britain

Post by iani » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:08 am

simon xk8 wrote:Well spotted so it is does this mean it was a lhd in a previous life ? Or could the wipers been installed wrongly in the rebuild ? Dealer says it has a heritage certificate would this say that it was a lhd when it was built originally ? Thanks for your help
My cert states "right hand drive" against the body style entry, I'd expect they all do.

Ian
1970 S2 2+2 4sp w/OD in BRG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neil4444
Great Britain

Post by neil4444 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:16 am

Chassis no. will tell you what it was originally. See here...

http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=951
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
simon xk8

Post by simon xk8 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks guys ill double check

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
simon xk8

Post by simon xk8 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:33 am

Yup its from america the conning so so in a pickle now to no what to do

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

Post by malcolm » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:54 am

I wouldn't necessarily be put off if it was a good conversion to RHD; although if wipers still park wrong way you may want to check the rest of the conversion quality. I'd also ask the dealer why they didn't list it as originally LHD - can you trust whatever else they say? But after al that, if the car is good both bodywise and mechanically, just try and negotiate a better price if you really like it maybe? Do you know enough to judge the car, or might it help to take someone else who does? Not suggesting myself by the way! I'm a bit of a dummy in that department and took someone who knows. It stopped me buying a bit of a dog of a car, and helped me get a good one.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

Post by 288gto » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 am

I think if you are spending that sort of money you might want to look into having it independently inspected. If the seller is a reputable dealer, they should have no objection. In this case the seller either knows nothing about the car he is selling ( worrying) or has been a little economical with the truth ( very worrying).
Good luck with your search.

Simon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
simon xk8

Post by simon xk8 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:51 am

Its my opinion they are being economical with the truth when I asked for them to fax or scan some of the paperwork last week they replied to many to send
Just come down and have a drive a look at paperwork then

Yeah right didn't want to send paperwork cos I would have seen its a conversion hoping when I was there a saw car that heart would rule over my head when I said today it should be cheaper cos its a conversion he said no
Just out to maximise profits when I said they should amend advert to say its a conversion they went quite so ill see what they do if they dont trading standards will hear because if it wasn't for thehelp on here I would have been conned or had my time a fuel wasted thanks again guys for your help

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

markc555
Great Britain

Post by markc555 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:53 am

I looked at the blue DD Classics Blue car and had a root through the paperwork.

DD Classics have a fantastic stock of classic and exotic cars. Look them up on the internet. DD (Daniel Donovan) has been around for ever and was formerly a partner in Straight Eight and Thoroughbred Cars. He knows his stuff but hasn't done much research with this E Type as yet. By the way I have no connection or interest with him/them.

It was originally sold to Germany, hence LHD from new. Found its way to the US then back to blighty in around 1988.

The then owner in Scotland spent a FORTUNE on it between 1990 and 2002 with Autoclassics? (in Dumfries). It was converted to RHD had a total restoration, retrim and all major mechanicals refurbed. Around 2002 the same owner also had a Getrag 5 spd g'box fitted at the cost of ?4K which is considered a desirable upgrade by many.

It's started to fade a bit now and would need some money spent to bring it fully up to scratch bodily but mechanically it's really well sorted.

Cheers

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vikla
Great Britain

Post by vikla » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:08 am

Interesting what Mark says about it regarding earlier restoration work, because the DD Classics website now only says the following about the car:

"An extensive restoration was embarked upon in 2007, stripping the car down to component form and taking the body back to bare metal. The work took until 2011 to complete and the result is a really lovely example of possibly the most practical of ?E?s. The car has been upgraded by the fitting of a 5-speed Gettrag gearbox at a cost of around ?5,000. All the invoices are in a file that accompany the car and are available for viewing along with the car itself in our Kew showroom. "

Also no reference to 'original RHD car'
Steve
S1 4.2 FHC 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

markc555
Great Britain

Post by markc555 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:22 am

I suspect they've used my notes and observations from trawling through the paperwork on Saturday :)

They definitely weren't aware of the gearbox upgrade before I viewed it but you can tell from the pics on the website that it's not original as the gearstick is several inches further back than standard.

I could well be a few years out with the times I said various work was done but there is a HUGE wad of invoices for lots of work. Under it's Scottish ownership it wanted for nothing. (I guess they have to spend their money on something ;))

After the Scottish owner it moved down to Bournemouth for a few years where it's been rather less pampered.

Cheers

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
simon xk8

Post by simon xk8 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Rather poor that they rely on a customer to do there homework not exactly inspiringto do business with them is it .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

shan993

Post by shan993 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:15 am

Just for more information,

I enquired about this car last week on Wednesday evening to be told it had been sold and they were awaiting its collection. So I asked them to call me if it fell through.

On the weekend, I saw it advertised for the next Anglia Car Auction, I rang DD on Monday to ask if it was available, they said no they sent it to Auction.

So in the space of Thursday and Friday, the oridinal buyer didnt turn up and it made it was to East Anglia...

Doesnt stack up

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

markc555
Great Britain

Post by markc555 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:33 pm

The car being discussed here (APY 34G) is featured on the front cover and is pictured, looking great (pages 53, 58, 59 and 64), in the "HOT 30" article in this months (November) edition of Classic Cars magazine.

Also DD Classics is named in the "Thanks to" section at the bottom of the article.

Cheers

Mark
1969 S2 FHC (Opalescent Maroon) 1R26120

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

shan993

Post by shan993 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:27 am

It sold at Anglia Car Auctions for ?46500 inc 5% fee