New boy needs help on insurance

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
burnedpizza

#1 New boy needs help on insurance

Post by burnedpizza » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi
Just buying my first etype and want to sort the insurance out. Does anyone have any recommendations of who to use?
London based and garaged.

THANKS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HarryW

Post by HarryW » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi there -welcome to the forum! I checked the usual magazines - Jag World, JEC etc and got some quotes (almost year ago). I found Footman James very competitive in terms, conditions and cost, - and they proved very efficient with the paperwork 8) Fortunately I can't comment on how they deal with actual claims!!
My only caveat at present is that I have just received notification that FJ are now a subsidiary of Aon Limited (who they ?) so I shall look for my renewal quote with even closer interest. FJ are transferring insurance to Aon as of March 1st, so if any forum members get renewal notices after that, they can judge what, if any, impact the take over will have :shock:
Meanwhile you'll find the forum a great source of info, interest,humour and cameraderie :D
HarryW
'66 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:25 am

I can second Footman James - agreed value, unlimited mileage and 'go have fun' insurance for ?265. NU wanted ?1300 limited to 5,000 miles and no rally's, hill climbs, get-togethers, club meets, track days, Nurburgring etc etc. Shop around and read the fine print as I had a lot of quotes between the two extremes, each with caveats!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Aldeburgh

#4 ...

Post by Aldeburgh » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Welcome. Which model are you buying and where in London are you roughly?
'73 V12 2+2 Manual. I am on first name terms with every petrol pump attendant in the south of England.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:17 pm

I've been with FJ for 15 years and for 13 of those years thought the service was fine, and the premiums certainly were good value. However, since the AON takeover in 1/07 the paperwork has become a bit hit or miss in my experience, and needs to be examined very carefully to see that eg the correct named drivers are on the policy etc - and that the correct car is covered!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
burnedpizza

Post by burnedpizza » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:47 pm

All
thanks for the advice and caveats.....time for the big new step.
As for the car its going to be a 66 series 1 and will be based near Kew in South London.......so if anyone is brave enough to admit they live nearby ....be afraid , be very afraid as I will be in need of advice and guidance.
cheers

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:35 pm

Something to check with any policy...if the worst happens, will you be able to get the car repaired at a place of your choosing, or will you have to take it to the nearest Vauxhall / Nissan / VW accident repair shop?

Many companies have deals sorted with large chain garages, and if you have a car that's been restored to perfection, they can be totally inappropriate.

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic