New Member/EBAY

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
jbone

#1 New Member/EBAY

Post by jbone » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi all, I am a new member, just signed up today and I am in Guisborough. I am currently doing a bare metal restoration on a S1 2+2 I bought 2 years ago. This morning, my eye caught an add on EBAY for an OTS in the USA - has anyone got direct experience please of the seller whose EBAY user name is stpallas058? He seems to be quite prolific, but the ad says the bulk of the payment would be required outside of Paypal, which makes me wary. Many thanks, John
John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neil4444
Great Britain

Post by neil4444 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi John,

It's not uncommon for sellers of vehicles to request payment outside of Paypal as they don't want to incur the Paypal fees. So that wouldn't worry me unduly. He has reasonable feedback - although the majority is as a buyer rather than seller. But buyers have stated he is trustworthy. Regardless of all that I would be careful. I would recommend putting an escrow agreement in place to cover both you & the seller. Alternately you could use an agent to act on your behalf - which is what I did and I had a contract drawn up between the 3 parties (buyer/seller/agent).

HTH
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Maikel
Germany

#3 stpallas058

Post by Maikel » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:39 am

Hello John,

I am also watching this seller since mid 2014 and I tried to call and to meet him while I was in the States beginning this year.
Only email contact and when I said I am paying cash on inspection, "Mario" said he would be in Europe for a longer time. Insisting to inspect the car which was on offer on eBay he said nobody would be on the premises.

So I am asking here some questions and would like to here some feedback.

- How can you sell a car if nobody is there to inspect ?
- When you check the the SOLD LISTINGS on eBay for this seller, you see that several cars are sold several times.How does that work?
- The positive feedback as a seller seems repetitive and overwhelming.
"Couldn't be happier with my car it was exactly as described Thank you Mario AAA+" appears 3 times and is from the same "Buyer"
- Very often listing is ended early.

The description of the cars is always very short, and similar, I have never found a VIN number in the advert. Is that enough to buy a car?

At least I was willing to buy a car, but without having talked or seen Mario and the car, I can not understand how someone would pay money outside Ebay protection system.

I would like to hear some feedback from people having met Mario or even have bought a car of him. Or had some experiences.

If so I might also buy a car from MARIO

Thank you in advance
Maikel

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:54 am

Hmm, interesting. I've also followed Pallas since 2013, he seems to be very good at finding barn-finds and such.

Anyhow, when our paths first crossed (on the internett) I had spotted a E-type 'project car' at Gullwing in NY, and I remember that you could see it was really at their premises, you could see their other cars in the background, and the street outside and roller shutters etc. Anyhow, point was I found the exact same car offered by Pallas at the same time. Similar pictures as far as I can recall. What then transpired was the Gullwing car was no longer online (I'm guessing they sold it), and I contacted Pallas via eBay to hear about 'his' car. I then got a cock & bull story about the old lady that had sold it to him in Florida, he was dodging the question! Thought nothing of it at that time, I guess I had mentally moved onto another car. I'd always thought the guy was straight up, but maybe I had just spotted the real story. Flipping other peoples cars. Maybe...
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Maikel
Germany

Post by Maikel » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:13 am

I am careful as I once bought this car 1E76087 on eBay, but later found some inconsistencies and wanted more information prior to payment to his bank account. He relisted the car and someone from Austria bought it. I informed eBay that the car is a fraud but they let it run.
3 month later I received a letter from Austrian police asking me about this case.I did not pay so I can not claim anything, but 5 people bought and paid a car from this person.
Since then I do not buy a car without inspection and I strongly recommend you do the same.

But who of you actually had some experience with stpallas058?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ernie
Great Britain

Post by ernie » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:53 am

Hi I purchased a car from ebay unseen on ebay about 2 years ago. However I did not proceed with any payment.

The car may have been genuine and the photos of the numbers checked out ok but I did not personally inspect the car.

The reason while I pulled out was because I was in the fortunate positon of being able to get some background checks on him and decided that I would not proceeed.

He did come back to me and offer an escrow arrangment and it was though a recognised shipper, but I still decided not to proceed.
:bigrin:
David
1970 S2 OTS its on the road!..... :thankyouyellow: :drinkingcheers: - :seeingstars: )

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nefematic
Germany

Post by nefematic » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:33 pm

There is a mention of this seller on xkedata, regarding different seller names. Scroll way down:

http://tinyurl.com/oldmention

Not being able to verify with a satified buyer, I would steer clear.

Martin
Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rolando38
France

Post by rolando38 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:05 pm

honestly I would never buy a car without being able to actually see it or if a reliable friend can do so. Except from reputable dealers like Beverly Hills

Even so, imagine you pay the car and the dealer goes bankrupt within the 3 months between purchase and transport/transit from USA...good luck for recovering your car or money

and I'm not mentioning damage during transport in containers where cars are piled up one on top of another with 2/3 timbers; you will have to prove to insurance that the condition of a 50 year old car was perfect before shipping; good luck again

and after all this, if you still have to convert LHD to RHD....

I would leave such a harassment to professionals, and then pay a small premium on the price once they are in Europe
2+2 1970

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
jbone

Post by jbone » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, glad I stayed clear!
John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

Post by tinworm » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:23 am

Well I bought a car from a reputable dealer in the US (someone already mentioned) and it arrived without the gearbox flywheel and starter clearly shown in the photos - after a long drawn out period where the dealer 'tried' to find the missing parts I gave up and sourced the parts here.

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:19 pm

Bedford rascal van ....... :D :D
David
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

Post by tinworm » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:18 pm

No need to be snooty about Bedford Rascal vans - is there ? It gets more use than all my other cars !

regards Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:47 pm

My double smileys were not meant to be snooty !

My own car fleet until recently included an old (first gen with boxy styling) Suzuki Wagon R+ 4WD. Brilliant machine that never got stuck no matter how deep the snow was, and was even used to transport washing machines and beds. It was like a tardis. Hence I fully appreciate the novelty and uniqueness of the out of the ordinary vehicles. It was my daily driver, much to the surprise of the RR Sport and Porsche Cayenne parents doing the same school run :D :D

My other school run car is a '56 Series 1 Land Rover with Truck Cab & Capstan Winch. On it's way to getting a supercharger, but that's another story.
Last edited by David Oslo on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

Post by tinworm » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:54 pm

My apologies David !
My little van has its role to play the same as all the other cars and it gets the best maintenance I can give it - had it seven years now and wouldn't part with it.

regards Barrie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

Post by Durango2k » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:02 pm

There?s a sticker you can see on VW mini busses from time to time- "It may be your daughter in the back of this car" or alike.....

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jtufts356
Australia

#16 Re: New Member/EBAY

Post by jtufts356 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:14 am

My question re: STPALLAS058 would be ... why do his listings only appear on eBay UK when he (and cars) are in USA? Wouldn't he be better off selling to a large US market?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#17 Re: New Member/EBAY

Post by politeperson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:24 pm

I would assume etypes sell for more in the UK than the US.

We speak English too.

After reading all this I still cannot determine whether STPALLAS058 is real or not?

I thought he was real.

Anyone bought a car from him here?
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

#18 Re: New Member/EBAY

Post by Nickleback » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:01 pm

jtufts356 wrote:My question re: STPALLAS058 would be ... why do his listings only appear on eBay UK when he (and cars) are in USA? Wouldn't he be better off selling to a large US market?
Are you considering buying from him ?

If you are, then the post history details would confirm be Very, Very Careful !! :policeblue:
I have watched this seller for two years, looked at & watched all of his auctions in that time as I was looking to buy a car, also have been in communication with him but.................................
He "finds" & posts lots of car on eBay, but his feedback does replicate anywhere near all he finds and posts ?
So my recommendation would be "leave well alone" :thumbdown:
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ernie
Great Britain

#19 Re: New Member/EBAY

Post by ernie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi I almost purchased a car off him a few years ago. I used some professional contacts of mine in the US to get him checked, and had information back that caused me to not go ahead. Cant say anymore, other than it was an official background check :policeblue: .....
:bigrin:
David
1970 S2 OTS its on the road!..... :thankyouyellow: :drinkingcheers: - :seeingstars: )

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Lancejames
Great Britain

#20 Re: New Member/EBAY

Post by Lancejames » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi to everyone out there. I am a new member. I own 2 companies selling and restoring classic sports cars. there seems to be many questions concerning Mario at st Pallas.

I have dealt with him over a number of years and I am quite happy to give anyone the heads up.

the other 2 supposedly reputable dealers mentioned in the string of posts are both black listed by my companies.

One having sold me a severely accident damaged car and when I threatened to expose them they just sent me a bunch of attorney's letters to gag me.

I spend half my year in the USA and would be more than happy to share my experiences or help in anyway.

Kind regards to everyone, feel free to contact me on my personal email Lance.james@verizon.net

I don't wish to use the forum commercially so if asked I will only divulge my commercial details.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic