Going to get one - am I mad?

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

#1 Going to get one - am I mad?

Post by Herzeg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:59 am

Hi everyone

After some months of working on the wife she finally accepted my need for a fun car. A little more persuasion (and gently dropping in the cost!) she accepted my need for an E-type.

Now the search begins. Spoke yesterday to Angus at Moss Jaguar - very helpful. Any help anyone has re sourcing a car would be aprreciated, or just helpful tips. I'm looking for a Series 2 OTS and the mechanical condition is less important than a decent body as I'm mechanically savvy and want to have a project to drive whilst I tinker with it.

I am sure this is not going to be a short, simple or cheap process, but the thought of cruising top down along country lanes is getting the juices flowing already.

Looking forward to joining all you owners soon

John Bishop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

Post by Nickleback » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi John,

I have done the same as you want to do, except it was a S2 FHC that Angus found for me after nine months of searching.

The main thing with an e type is find the best one that you can afford with a clean sound body (no rust) that's as original as you can get, all the mechanicals are available & can be sorted, which means if your budget is restricted you will probably looking at a car from USA.

Mine is a rolling restoration, but will need to go off the road this winter for a complete external re-spray, gearbox & back axle rebuild.

Here's a link to mine so that you can get an idea of what's out there and what you can get.
http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=2R28165

Angus is highly recommended, will look after you well but you will need time & patience to find the right one for you !

Good luck with your search and if you need more help, just shout or PM me

Mike
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rolando38
France

#3 Re: Going to get one - am I mad?

Post by rolando38 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:55 pm

Herzeg wrote: After some months of working on the wife
I didn't know this expression, or thought it might be used in other circumstances - :lol:

good luck for your search for the holy graal ! I can testify that Californian imports are really rustfree, but the wheel will not be on the "right" side for you...
2+2 1970

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

Post by Herzeg » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Mike

Thanks for the info and pics. Looks a very nice car and the white suits it well.

Rolando - The problem with "working on the wife" is that you never have the right size tools and she always says the other mechanics do it better !!

:lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

#5 I've gone and done it

Post by Herzeg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:11 pm

After some months of thinking I jumped. I will shortly be the owner of a S2 OTS which has arrived here via the US and Dubai.

It's got some work to do on it to get it right so should get it in 2-3 weeks time. Pictures to follow.

John :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

Post by Nickleback » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Congrats John, Pics please ! :)
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi John.....good luck with the new car....how about joining us for our forum meet at Bicster
viewtopic.php?t=8274
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#8 Welcome

Post by cactusman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:40 am

All I can say is you are never mad to buy an E type. Got mine 3 years back and have not regretted a single second since!
As others have said get the very best you can. Rust costs ???? to fix but the rest is relatively straightforward sixties engineering.
Hope to see you at Bicester, with or without car :D
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#9 Welcome

Post by cactusman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

Moss Jaguar are now E-conic cars. Worth keeping an eye on the classic car websites llike car and classic too. Mine was found via car and classic. If you are brave then auctions may turn up the car you want too.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:38 am

Hi Julian...your posting too early in the morning He,s already got one...
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

Post by malcolm » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:46 am

Hi and welcome! I too had to work on the wife for years - she thought it was a waste of money. Now, she loves it. We've had a trip over the Pyrenees in it with the company of another E and an XK, fantastic weekends away with the E type club, holidays with up to 20 other E's and XKs - best money ever spent, and worth now about ?10k more than I paid (with only ?1k spent on improvements/repairs)
Hope to see you at one of the many events you can drive to in the company of other enthusiasts.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:20 pm

I must be the odd one out here. My wife had to work on me to buy an E-Type. I did enjoy it though!
I initially resisted(that always works) saying I have one classic car that fills my time I don't need another one-although I loved the E-Type.
Anyway we bought one at a very reasonable price 5 years ago and I've not regretted it one bit. In fact the price was even more reasonable than I first thought since our car turned out to be a converted flat floor.
In April we're off to an anniversary Dinner in York celebrating 25 years of the Corner Garage(Classic Sports Cars Ltd) where we bought it. I can't wait to tell them the good news. Spitting feathers comes to mind!
I now have three classic cars so my original argument has held up well.
This Forum is gold dust and you'll never be stuck for long. A very friendly and helpful bunch. Don't be afraid to ask daft questions, I have and never regretted it.

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

#13 Thanks for the support

Post by Herzeg » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:54 pm

Evening guys

I should be getting it Friday if everything goes ok. I'll post some pics once I have it. It's a Nov 69 S2 OTS in Regency Red with black interior and hood. Looks like original including BLMC stickers under the hood.

My wife is frightened I won't even get it home without it breaking down, yet she's the one who persuaded me to spend the money!

Going to take it straight up to Angus Moss for his opinion. He's been very helpful and I will use him to convert to RHD and do some tweaking. Otherwise I will gradually restore it myself next winter after some fun.

I'll take a look at Bicester, hopefully see you there

Regards
John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

#14 An afterthought

Post by Herzeg » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:07 am

Told the seller after I tried it that some body modifications were needed. His face dropped until I told him it was my body that needed it!!!!

They are not easy to get into, my wife was crying with laughter and I have (temporarily) given up alcohol to lose some weight. The sacrifices we make?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

Post by malcolm » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 am

Fittinf in it is a tiny bit easier if you get the steering wheel adjustment right - I find that when it's closer than you normally might have the wheel, it helpos to clear the thighs and frees up the legs.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

#16 It's Here!

Post by Herzeg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Finally picked it up on Monday and love it. The smiles on peoples faces and the regular comments of how beautiful it is. It's so much fun.

Took it today to Angus Moss to look it over. When I got there the alternator failed! Fortunately they swapped it out and will fit an upgrade in a few weeks when I take it in for some work. Then the brake light cam on and we discovered the front brake reservoir was empty. Refilled it but light came on again a few hours later. Need too go back to the seller as it just passed an MOT last Friday!

How do I post pictures, I can't work out how to do it?

John[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:40 pm

Hi John...good luck with the new car... have a look here re posting photos viewtopic.php?t=850
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

#18 Finally got the picture posting sorted.

Post by Herzeg » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi guys

Heres the first pic, more to follow once I get a nice sunny weekend out.

Just had the car with Angus Moss last week whilst on holiday. He's replaced the alternator with an upgraded one, repaired the radiator and replaced all the hoses.

All ready for summer but the list of jobs I've found keeps growing! Love the car and seems I really did get a rust free car.

Image[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

Post by Bob. » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Looks great and I really like the colour. Wish I had the sunshine, it's been raining all day here.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#20 Well done

Post by cactusman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:29 pm

Gorgeous colour...bring her to Bicester...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic