Fibreglass Mech Mate Garage Pits

Share your passion for other marques you own, want to own or have known in days past.

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

Fibreglass Mech Mate Garage Pits

Postby christopher storey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Has anyone any experience of these? I have reached that stage in life where grovelling under cars has no appeal ( and my back complains about it :cry: ) and although I have a hydraulic lift which tilts each way - so that the extremities of the car are easily accessible - it has the major snag that working at the centre of the car is virtually impossible , and also because our cars have low ground clearance I have to use planks to get the cars onto it.

I am aware of the potential hazards from fumes etc - what I really want to know was whether the hassle of breaking out the concrete floor etc was worthwhile and also whether the recommended 2.25 inch planks bear the loads of car wheels over them ; whilst this will not be frequent it would be easier to position the pit if I were confident that I could still drive a wheel over it now and then

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Re: Fibreglass Mech Mate Garage Pits

Postby mgcjag » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi Christopher...not an answer to you question but have you looked at the low rise 2 post lifts.......dosnt lift the car to full height but gives enough room to use a wheely chair and access the full underside.... Steve
Steve
1969 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

Postby abowie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Get a proper lift.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457..oops
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Postby Heuer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:30 pm

I have one, has been installed over 15 years and I have no complaints. Easy to work on the car as you can sit down to work and pretty much everything is accessible. Had a bit of a moment with the Elan as the track was narrower than the pit but with the E-Type not a problem. I have 22 x 4" planks to cover the pit if I need to but I usually drive the car straight over. My problem was lack of height in the garage for a lift (the big train set is on the first floor) so decided to submarine. You are welcome to come over and have a look Christopher - would be good to catch up.

It is a great idea and you can be comfortable in the knowledge the car is not going to collapse on you!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Pin your E-Type to our World Map: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=184509

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

Postby Series1 Stu » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi Christopher

In a previous house/garage I had an inspection pit and found it incredibly useful but not without its problems. Apart from the problem with it letting in water due to not being properly sealed the main problem was access. This because there wasn't room to get steps down inside a 'normal' sized double garage so I had to use a step ladder or simply drop in. Sometimes it was necessary to pull and/or push the car back and forth whilst underneath it in order to get to the area you needed to work on. Then there's the problem of poor light.

Finally, you would be very foolish to work in a pit if the engine is running.

If I remember correctly, you need to keep the base of the pit outside of a 45 degree line from the footings of the garage so, the deeper you go, the further away from the wall you get.

Given the choice, I would go for a lift. Ironically, I don't have either right now.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Work In (slow) Progress
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'94 X300 XJR basket case

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

Postby christopher storey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks to all for the comments, and thank you , David for the offer - I shall revert to you on this. I already have a lift, but I cannot use a 2 poster because of a. height ( I only have 8 feet below trusess ) and b.the posts would put me back in the position I have just cured by getting rid of a central door pillar . I have to say, also, that I do not like 2 posters for stability reasons

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

arron
Great Britain

Postby arron » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:47 am

I have a 2 post lift, bought the first one second had about 15 years ago due to the following foolish operation!

I had got into the unwise habit of using the factory for lift truck to raise the Skoda Estelle Trials car. The car would just balance nicely and care needed to be taken. I usually did this outside where there was plenty of light and I could be seen by folk in neighboring factory's and visiting public and whilst folk were still at our factory. As happens, I got a bit carried away and precautions went down the loo. One night I was working on the car, stripping off a bent rear trailing arm and hub assembly, on my own after everyone had gone home. All went well until the weight of the parts came off and unbalanced the whole car.

I managed to move into a position where I could balance the car...but I could not move from there without a major disaster. The whole was parked next to some finished machines that needed to be dispatched the next day. I stood there for a long time, realising I was well in the sh*t and in full knowledge I was very lucky. Eventually I managed to rock the car into a slightly more balanced position but it was still not safe. I quick dash to the trucks down lever bought the car down fast but even so it was sliding off the forks as it hit the floor.

I was very lucky.

I bought a 2 post that week. I now have a new one at home and it is the best buy ever, it was £1049 delivered.

I have been considering digging a pit in the barn, being able to get under with the weight still on the car has its advantages.

I like the 'big train set is on the first floor'...luckily I have a spare bedroom for the HD 3 rail...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Postby Heuer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:08 am

The Mech-mate pit is like a fibreglass bathtub so no moisture can get in. It has fluorescent lights down each side and power points at each end. Access is via integrated steps at each end, the removable seat slides on side rails (which double as shelves) and a tool holder does the same at a higher level. You can buy a jack stand to raise the vehicle as well. The installation involved digging the hole, running the power line spur, laying a wet concrete base, putting in the Mech-mate and back filling with concrete. For safety when not in use, and for more floor space, I made up thick planks that can be slotted in place which the Mech-mate is designed to accommodate.

Although the pit allows access to the entire length of the E-Type I normally move the car forward or backwards to allow easy access to whichever part of the vehicle I am working on.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Pin your E-Type to our World Map: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=184509

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

Postby cactusman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Don't forget....you have to dig the hole and having dug a pond of a similar size a LOT comes out....you will need a skip unless you have a very large garden to loose it in :bigrin: If your ground is clay then not too bad....full of rocks and it might be tricky...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

Postby Gfhug » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:24 am

Christopher, one thought before you start digging is how high is your water table? Even if the Mech Mate is water tight, will it be sitting in wet soil? No idea if it'll make any difference, just a question.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

Postby christopher storey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:10 am

Yes indeed, water table is an important consideration, and mech mate make this point , and some of the models are specifically tailored for high water table. We live on a gently sloping site, well above any river level, and our ground tends to be dry however far you dig down, so that I think we do not have a problem with it

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SEJohnson95
Great Britain

Postby SEJohnson95 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:20 pm

cactusman wrote:Don't forget....you have to dig the hole and having dug a pond of a similar size a LOT comes out....you will need a skip unless you have a very large garden to loose it in :bigrin:

There is already a known solution for that one, Julian. You fill these bags, tuck them in your trousers and go for a wander round, preferably near an allotment

Who needs a skip? :wink: :lol:
Final year chemistry student at The University of Birmingham
Chasing a dream, that of a S1 4.2 OTS, but plan on getting an E ASAP!
Occasional contributor to the E-Type Club magazine
Restoration of Richard's (richrv0) 1962 FHC - 860927 - now COMPLETE!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

Postby cactusman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Or...as they said on Porridge....you dig another hole and put the soil in there :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Your Dream Garage”