My old car history so far...

Share your passion for other marques you own, want to own or have known in days past.

Topic author
marsh
Great Britain

#1 My old car history so far...

Post by marsh » Sun May 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Dear all,

This is my recent history of old cars.

It started with this Mk 1 3.4 litre saloon - a wonderful car when it ran properly and the ideal car for the Goodwood Revival. It cost me a fortune and keeping it well maintained was like painting the Forth Road Bridge...

It was then joined by this Austin A90 Atlantic, the car that started my love of all things old and British. It was a beautifully original car, but I didn't enjoy driving it as much as I thought I would...

...so I chopped both of them in and bought this...

The C-V8 is a very underrated car and I loved every minute of my custodianship. Sadly I hit 40 and thought I should buy something a little more respectable and this arrived in my garage...

It has covered 24000 from new and was absolutely original. Alas, it was just too good to use, plus it barely fitted into my garage so it too had to go...

This is hopefully the beginning of a long and beautiful friendship, plus my wife has said if I buy and other cars, she'll bury me under the patio

Marsh
Series 1 3.8 Fixed Head Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vipergts
Great Britain

Post by vipergts » Sun May 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Gotta say Marsh....all your cars were in immaculate condition.

Unless you photoshopped them :lol:

Took you a while but you arrived at a proper result in the end. :)
S1 4.2 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
marsh
Great Britain

Post by marsh » Sun May 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Thank you ViperGTS

Photoshop? I wish I knew how to use it!

Thanks for the compliment - I like my cars to be 'just so'. I'm the ideal person to buy a car from as I seem to act as some sort of rehabilitation centre for old cars. I buy them, spend a fortune on making them right and then sell then when they're perfect - it's good for the soul, but not for the bank balance!

The E type is a keeper for sure. It's just undergoing a transformation to its rear end and then it'll be ready for years of service.

Marsh

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Sun May 02, 2010 6:44 pm

They all looked splendid but I particularly like your 3.4 . I have looked for one for a long time, but they are terribly rare now

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vipergts
Great Britain

Post by vipergts » Sun May 02, 2010 9:13 pm

marsh wrote:Thank you ViperGTS

Photoshop? I wish I knew how to use it!

Thanks for the compliment - I like my cars to be 'just so'. I'm the ideal person to buy a car from as I seem to act as some sort of rehabilitation centre for old cars. I buy them, spend a fortune on making them right and then sell then when they're perfect - it's good for the soul, but not for the bank balance!

The E type is a keeper for sure. It's just undergoing a transformation to its rear end and then it'll be ready for years of service.

Marsh
I'm exactly the same, I'm currently selling 3 cars and they are all absolutely perfect, 1 in particular is 13 years old and done just 5k having owned it from new and never caught out in the rain and never having had paintwork. I never have such luck when I buy cars.

Currently restoring 3 cars and perfecting a couple more and I dare say they'll all end up going to some lucky toad soon.

Anyhow...good luck with the E.......if you ever end up having the engine out and tackle a front end refurb then good luck....there's plenty there.
S1 4.2 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Aldeburgh

#6 Lovely

Post by Aldeburgh » Thu May 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Way to go Marsh, she is a honey.

The V12 2+2 really is unbelievable value relative to any other E and it is a very civilised motorcar. Mind you, you can hustle them along too if the mood takes you. I wonder if prices will ever rival the earlier ones..?

Looks as if you have a webasto roof there, lovely for a sunny day: mine has a factory sunroof and I have to say it is all but a rag top with it open and all the windows down.

Look forward to seeing it sometime.
'73 V12 2+2 Manual. I am on first name terms with every petrol pump attendant in the south of England.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
marsh
Great Britain

Post by marsh » Wed May 12, 2010 11:09 am

Thank you for the compliments, though this is what it looked like last week...

The car looked almost perfect when I bought it, with just the tiniest blemish on the driver side lip of the arch, but as soon as we started digging...

These are the new panels we needed...

Amazingly, due to the magic of Alan Proctor, the car is now ready for collection and bodily is better than new, even if the bank balance is feeling a little dented...

Lee

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic