New Top Gear

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#1 New Top Gear

Post by chrisfell » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:57 am

The last series fronted by Chris Evans was rightly panned. The new series started last night with the two presenters from the on line extra program of the last series, Chris Harris and Rory Reid. Harris is a seriously talented racer as well as being a respected video/magazine journalist. Together with Reid they were the only worthy aspect to the last series. But I dont think last night's episode really worked. Too many manufactured moments, nothing really funny or entertaining, except maybe, when the taxi took off.

Perhaps we should remember that the three numpties that made TopGear work so well, had over 20 series to hone their skills and make their on screen chemistry work.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#2 Re: New Top Gear

Post by politeperson » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:09 pm

I like it.

Chris Harris is an experienced e type man. He really knows cars and has made it from the bottom up on merit.

I also like the other two as well.

Good luck to em.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andrewh
Great Britain

#3 Re: New Top Gear

Post by andrewh » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 pm

I thought it was better without Chris E who I like a lot on the radio. But it still feels tired and a pale shadow of its former self. This is nothing to do with the current line up, just that the previous three were , well, something rather special for so many watchers. Yes they were bafoons but that was the whole point. I can imagine the directive coming down from on high at the BBC. "just make it work without Clarkson, what ever it takes, keep up the network sales". Not easy, probably run its course to be honest. Shame, but all good things come to an end.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: New Top Gear

Post by Heuer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:52 am

Humourless, forced, heavily scripted, false friendship and Matt Le Blanc falling back on his dumb Joey Tribbiani character ("Before that trip, I had no idea Kazakhstan was real, I thought it was one of those made up places like Timbuktu or Guernsey”). The concept died about three years ago and there is more entertainment and information on the many YouTube streams out there. Let it die in peace!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: New Top Gear

Post by christopher storey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Couldn't agree more, David :sad: :sad:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#6 Re: New Top Gear

Post by Herzeg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:54 pm

I'm still trying to cope with the notion that you can be invitied to pay £2m for the Ferrari "F**k" and you can 't race it or drive it on the road. I was going to say just free advertising for Ferrari but they actually get paid for it!!!! :banghead:

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#7 Re: New Top Gear

Post by chrisfell » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:34 pm

No more absurd than most Formula 1 drivers who pay for their drives. Neither the FXXK nor a Formula 1 drive is likely to be one that will become available to me. Their loss.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bfastr
United States of America

#8 Re: New Top Gear

Post by Bfastr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:45 pm

I tried to watch the original cast in the new show on Amazon Prime. I cant even think of the name now. But I have to say that isn't working for me either, they seem too forced now. The old Top Gear had better producers, even if they were punching bags for Clarkson. However, This new cast is better than that guy last year, he seemed to scream the whole episode for no apparent reason.
I bet they picked LeBlanc to appeal to us westerners as most of the other presenters arent familiar names over here, he isnt too bad, they should have picked Matthew Perry instead, back in the day he had a pretty good record of smashing up some expensive cars in Los Angeles.

I think the only worthwhile car show now is Wheeler Dealers. but even they almost blew it trying to film in the USA. its fine if they want to fly over and buy a car for the show, but I think it works better in its original location.

Bob F
Bob F

69 S2 E-type OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#9 Re: New Top Gear

Post by cactusman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Wheeler dealers is OK but the best around for me is classic car SOS on more4 here in the UK. Tim Shaw and the brilliant Fuzz Townsend....they have done an E type but not yet seen that one!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#10 Re: New Top Gear

Post by christopher storey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 pm

cactusman wrote:Wheeler dealers is OK but the best around for me is classic car SOS on more4 here in the UK. Tim Shaw and the brilliant Fuzz Townsend....they have done an E type but not yet seen that one!
You are not serious are you ? Wheeler dealers is drivel from beginning to end, as indeed is Car SOS , but for mindless vacuity Tim Shaw is quite unrivalled

There is not a single motoring programme on UK television worth wasting even a milliwatt of electricity on

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#11 Re: New Top Gear

Post by cactusman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:05 am

Our views differ then. Compared to top gear, sos does at least show people doing constructive activity. To describe it as drivel is harsh. You may like the presenters or you may not...guess it is personal choice. I prefer Tim to Jeremy :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#12 Re: New Top Gear

Post by christopher storey » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:23 am

Julian : with SOS its not the idea as such that I regard as drivel ( and if it were the sensible and capable Fuzz Townshend on his own it might be watchable ) ; what drives me to distraction is the ridiculous " it must all be finished by Wednesday" premise, which is plainly totally false , and the egregious Shaw getting hold of spare parts , sometimes ostensibly by strange means - see the recent episode of the so-called 1962!! Mini Cooper S which was certainly not 1962 and was probably not a Cooper S either . I agree with you about Clarkson , however , and gave up on Top gear years ago

PS While we're on the subject, nothing comes quite as low as some programme which consisted of a bald headed cockney spiv wandering round picking up parts out of skips . Fortunately, it seems to have disappeared.... I hope :bigrin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#13 Re: New Top Gear

Post by politeperson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:36 am

Christopher, you mean Classic Car Rescue? - Bernie.

That one was very annoying.

Like the time they cut the rear spring shackles on an MGB then pretended the car axle had fallen off when they lifted it.

Then there is the who;e premise of the programme where the "expert" at the end turns up and gives them his opinion of the value of the "restored" car on a piece of paper. ugh

Yes that programme was the pits definitely.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#14 Re: New Top Gear

Post by cactusman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:07 pm

I agree with the parts finding and I guess the "time limit" is added for drama....Will they.... won't they....we know they will. A bit tedious once you have seen a few but I guess they think it makes for good tv. I usually run the mot checker from the dvla on the cars....surprising how few seem to remain on the road...or maybe not given the premise that the owner is usually very unwell...

Fuzz and the other experts are brilliant....watched one this week on an MG TA midget... old stitching the cracked block...amazing....and they make regular visits to Aldridge trimmers...

Classic car rescue with Bernie was tragically awful. The spiv who valued them was well...a spiv. I recall the e type one where Bernie was rummaging a skip for old brake discs....hopeless. mercifully it seems to be gone
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

#15 Re: New Top Gear

Post by mystery type » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:24 pm

I agree all those car programmes are so staged that it spoils the viewing.
The old top gear was a light-hearted programme that was entertaining, but died many years ago.

The only car programme I really enjoyed watching was " chasing classic cars" with Wayne Carini
There was no staged mishaps, and a varied selection of fantastic cars.
If you have never seen it, give it a try.
Paul 1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#16 Re: New Top Gear

Post by cactusman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 am

Trouble with Wayne is that many of the cars are American but it ain't bad....on quest in the UK.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#17 Re: New Top Gear

Post by mgcjag » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:53 pm

I just think its great haveing all these car shows to moan about.......anyone upto speed on the Brexit debate :lol:
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ernie
Great Britain

#18 Re: New Top Gear

Post by ernie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:47 pm

BREXIT...thats old hat...more uptodate is the looming Scottish War of Independence....I heard a rumour that President Trump had heard that the CIA had intercepted a container shipment of Claymores (the swords not the mines) bound for Aberdeen :bigrin: or was it on Fox?
:bigrin:
David
1970 S2 OTS its on the road!..... :thankyouyellow: :drinkingcheers: - :seeingstars: )

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#19 Re: New Top Gear

Post by christopher storey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:11 pm

I understand that May has agreed to sell Scotland to Trump personally so that he can turn it into one long golf course . Sturgeon may be offered a job as a waitress in the clubhouse

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NWplasterers
Great Britain

#20 Re: New Top Gear

Post by NWplasterers » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Theresa or James is that !!
1966 S1 2+2,68 mk 2,97 xk8.

Link: