For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
andrewjohn
Canada

#1 Need advice buying a scissor lift

Post by andrewjohn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:35 am

Hi all,

My house is under renovation and need to redesign my garage as well. I’m here to get some suggestions to buy a good scissor lift for my garage. My only requirement is that the scissor lift should not take much space in my garage because I need to keep my Jaguar and my Sportster.

Has anyone bought any used scissor lift recently? What are the factors that I consider purchasing a used one? Please share your experience. Waiting for your reply.

Thanks in advance.
"Life’s simple. You make choices and you don’t look back."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#2 Re: Need advice buying a scissor lift

Post by Simonpfhc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:11 am

Hi,

I bought a scissor lift about 10 years ago and it isn't probably the single best tool I have ever purchased. I considered many aspects some of which were:

The lift height
The closed height
The access to the underside of the car when lifted
Power requirements

The one I chose lifted to about 1 metre and closed to just 10cm. It also gave excellent access to the underside of the car. The ones you have in your link would restrict a lot of access as the whole lift area is covered. My lift has no bars or restrictions inside the wheelbase when lifted.

As I was having my garage rebuilt, I also had the workman shutter off the floor when they poured the concrete base so the lift sat flush in the floor.

You can sort of see it in these pictures:

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Need advice buying a scissor lift

Post by mgcjag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:05 am

Hi Andrew....have you considered a 4 post.....you can have one car on top and keep another underneath, depending on your roof height...the one i have was second hand from a main dealer garage
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

zigzagsky
Great Britain

#4 Re: Need advice buying a scissor lift

Post by zigzagsky » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Probably a bit late in the reply but if you are still looking I can recommend Strongman Tools as a good supplier.

Yes they are built in China like most of the ones available but they are of overall good quality and their backup and support is excellent. I was unlucky in that one of the safety air interlock valves went intermittent after a few months but they sent me a replacement with no quibbling.

The Chepstow (which handles up to 3000KG) is like mine. At the recent NEC Classic & Restoration show they showed a revised version which no longer needs an air supply to operate the safety interlocks.

BTW I am in no way affiliated with the company, just a happy customer.
Brian
1969 Primrose yellow Series 2, 2plus2
Boyhood dream fulfilled at last!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic