Speeding

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Polse7317
France

#21 Re: Speeding

Post by Polse7317 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Now you have civil cars controls with radar inside....! and the new machines on the road side catch in the 2 ways of drive and separate cars from trucks and can catch 4 cars in the same time..... It's really better to follow the speed instructions :policeblue:
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#22 Re: Speeding

Post by MarkRado » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:00 pm

...or you go for the Genovo Assist radar/laser warning device :bigrin:
...2.500 EUR :shock:
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#23 Re: Speeding

Post by Heuer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:15 pm

Which is the amount of the fine in France for even having one in your car. Device also impounded (with the car if fixed to it). :sad:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Davidstewart61
Great Britain

#24 Re: Speeding

Post by Davidstewart61 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:13 pm

2 years ago I was “caught“ twice in 10 minutes near Lyon. 92 and 93 kph in a 90....really! I have vowed never to return to France as a result. I would feel on edge about infringing the limit all the time and therefore would be distracted while driving (especially as sometimes it’s difficult to know what the limit is). Don’t get me wrong, speeding should be penalised but there needs to be a sensible tolerance.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jonny XKE
Great Britain

#25 Re: Speeding

Post by Jonny XKE » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:53 am

On a tour of Spain, France and Italy. It was France we found that had more cameras .. a lot of them. Italy was the best with far fewer. Well on our route anyway. We downloaded an app that told us where each was. My front plate also dropped off which may have also helped too! I think fines are one thing but as long as they don't start issuing penalty points on your license.
S1.5 FHC 4.2 OSB 1968

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#26 Re: Speeding

Post by Kember17 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:58 am

Davidstewart61 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:13 pm
2 years ago I was “caught“ twice in 10 minutes near Lyon. 92 and 93 kph in a 90....really! I have vowed never to return to France as a result. I would feel on edge about infringing the limit all the time and therefore would be distracted while driving (especially as sometimes it’s difficult to know what the limit is). Don’t get me wrong, speeding should be penalised but there needs to be a sensible tolerance.
^ This. I have largely avoided France for several years because of the attitude towards motorists as cash cows. This despite speaking French well and German considerably less so.

I drive from the UK to Italy or back on average once a month and now simply avoid France altogether except for the short stretch between the Tunnel and just north of Lille. Once my abonnement for the Eurotunnel expires, I'll probably use Harwich-Hook in future.

I usually route through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Switzerland, generally staying overnight in an hotel somewhere in the Saarland or NRW, rather than to the south of Dijon as I used to.

All the thousands of Euro spent on these trips for fuel, sustenance, lodgings etc is spent anywhere but France, and the French also fail to garner any motorway or tunnel tolls from me either. Indeed, in the past couple of years, ill health has also required me to spend less time at the wheel on any given day, so I tend to have two nights at hotels en route.

I wonder if there are many others like me and whether any study has been done on the economic effect of their policy on tourism in France.

FWIW, I have never had a ticket for speeding in my 35+ year driving career, so I'm hardly a wild driver.
Peter

1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#27 Re: Speeding

Post by chrisfell » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 am

I have no problem with speed limits, no problem with radar traps, hidden or in plain sight, no problem with mobile cameras or average speed camera setups. If I am caught breaking the speed limits it is my fault entirely not someone else of the system trying to extract cash from me.

As for France, I love the well maintained D roads, mostly empty of traffic. I’m looking forward to driving along them at 50mph, constantly, next time I’m there.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#28 Re: Speeding

Post by Kember17 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:38 am

chrisfell wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 am
I have no problem with speed limits, no problem with radar traps, hidden or in plain sight, no problem with mobile cameras or average speed camera setups. If I am caught breaking the speed limits it is my fault entirely not someone else of the system trying to extract cash from me.

As for France, I love the well maintained D roads, mostly empty of traffic. I’m looking forward to driving along them at 50mph, constantly, next time I’m there.
You're absolutely right, ultimately, but over long distances the more human amongst us find it is easy to err by a few kph from time to time.
Peter

1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#29 Re: Speeding

Post by Mich7920 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Davidstewart61 wrote:
The tolerance has been applied. You were at 97 and 98 km / h. The tolerance is 5 km / h more, it's almost the same in England. Your speedometer indicated certainly close to 100 km / h, so as you knew that the limit was 90, why did you drive at 100?
You have radars in England, why not talk about your radars?
Aaaah ok you respect the limit in England? It's a good news...
Just an advice, don't drive in USA, you'll finish in a jail for the same speed!
Mich
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#30 Re: Speeding

Post by MarkRado » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:49 pm

Recently, the tolerance was obviously reduced here in Austria, or at least in my home town. We have a 30kph (!) = 19mph speed limit in town, except for specially signed main roads. You get a ticket doing 34, which is still very slow. However, luckily we have many what you call B roads, where you can have a lot of fun with minmal risk of getting fined. But I am afraid the golden days of touring the continent with a top speed north of 100mph seem to have gone. Honestly, that would not be possible because of heavy traffic on motorways most of the time. :thumbdown:
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#31 Re: Speeding

Post by Heuer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:14 pm

I have to admit that not a day goes by where I do not exceed the local speed limits (outside of towns and villages) when I can make safe progress. Most rural roads around us have 50 mph limits based on no scientific rationale, just local councillors wanting to "make a difference". Most traffic on motorways travels at between 80 and 90 mph when sensible to do so and everyone settles into the rhythm. The Police view anything above 79 mph on a motorway as 'speeding' but given that most speedometers tend to over read by 10% cars are travelling at an indicated 86 mph. Motorways rely on vehicles travelling at different speeds to keep flowing, the danger comes when the difference is unreasonably high.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#32 Re: Speeding

Post by malcolm » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:22 pm

Heuer wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:14 pm
I have to admit that not a day goes by where I do not exceed the local speed limits (outside of towns and villages) when I can make safe progress. Most rural roads around us have 50 mph limits based on no scientific rationale, just local councillors wanting to "make a difference". Most traffic on motorways travels at between 80 and 90 mph when sensible to do so and everyone settles into the rhythm. The Police view anything above 79 mph on a motorway as 'speeding' but given that most speedometers tend to over read by 10% cars are travelling at an indicated 86 mph. Motorways rely on vehicles travelling at different speeds to keep flowing, the danger comes when the difference is unreasonably high.
Without wishing to be pedantic, it is actually 79 OR above which is used in a 70mph limit. I unfortunately have the letter in front of me spelling out the allowance at every speed limit.
I find that whereas 10% is right for older cars, nearly every modern car I have tested against GPS is almost dead on 5% high. I think manufacturers do this because you are not allowed to have a speedo that under reads, but they can over read UP TO 10%. Therefore 5% is a safe inbetween.
A safe speedo reading on motorways is thus 82mph - I stick to an indicated 80 knowing I have a margin.
Incidentally, the 70mph limit was introduced in 1965 as a temporary measure - a bit like income tax being a temporary measure in the Napoleonic wars.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jonny XKE
Great Britain

#33 Re: Speeding

Post by Jonny XKE » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:10 pm

I would be careful in assuming that your speedo is 3mph over reading. Modern cars don't do that now. Also don't drive at 80 .. drive at 78! see below.

S1.5 FHC 4.2 OSB 1968

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#34 Re: Speeding

Post by Heuer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:15 pm

malcolm wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:22 pm
Incidentally, the 70mph limit was introduced in 1965 as a temporary measure - a bit like income tax being a temporary measure in the Napoleonic wars.
Yes, the temporary limit requires legislation to renew it every year.

I do test my car's speedo against GPS and from that I deduce our Porsche 993 is bang on correct at all speeds whilst the Range Rover Sport over reads by 8%. The E-Type is another matter. It over reads by 15% at 30mph, is bang on correct at 100 mph and starts to under read above that, proportionately up to 150 mph (tested on the Millbrook bowl).
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#35 Re: Speeding

Post by chrisfell » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Beware of tolerance levels stated in this thread. There is no national agreement on such limits, it is up to each police force and that changes from time to time. For example a few years ago Hampshire police would send a motorist to a speed awareness course for 35 in a 30, but on the same day Wiltshire police would issue a penalty notice, as they had stopped their awareness course.

I was caught in Hampshire.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Davidstewart61
Great Britain

#36 Re: Speeding

Post by Davidstewart61 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Mich7920 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:39 pm
Davidstewart61 wrote:
The tolerance has been applied. You were at 97 and 98 km / h. The tolerance is 5 km / h more, it's almost the same in England. Your speedometer indicated certainly close to 100 km / h, so as you knew that the limit was 90, why did you drive at 100?
You have radars in England, why not talk about your radars?
Aaaah ok you respect the limit in England? It's a good news...
Just an advice, don't drive in USA, you'll finish in a jail for the same speed!
Mich
What an odd reply! My speedometer said 92 and 93kph at the time the speed trap flashed. I had recently driven through a village at 50kph and the speed indicator at the side of the road told me I was travelling at 48kph so I reckon my speedo was reasonably accurate......they’re not allowed to under-read by EU law. I most definitely was not driving at 100kph! I respect the speed limits in all countries that I drive in. I really don’t consider that 92 in a 90 is worthy of attracting a fine. As I said in a previous post, what the French choose to do is entirely their business. My choice is not to drive in France any more.

As far as UK radars are concerned we give our drivers a bit of leeway (I’ve heard 10% + 2mph quoted from time to time).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#37 Re: Speeding

Post by Mich7920 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:09 am

The debate on speed is an endless debate.
If you do not drive in a country because of its radar, you will end up going round around your house but I'm sure it's not the only reason ...
We are all convinced to drive much better than the guy in his car in front of us and that we can drive faster than others and safe. If it were not pathetic it would be laughable. If you want to drive fast, go on a racetrack. And yes we also have in France and without radar ...
Mich
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Davidstewart61
Great Britain

#38 Re: Speeding

Post by Davidstewart61 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:45 am

Mich,

I don’t think you’re listening. I don’t speed - period. Speeding is dangerous. Dangerous speeding should be punished. I simply don’t think it’s reasonable to penalise someone for doing 2 kph above the limit. The French do, that’s their right. In order to avoid being caught I’d drive at several kph below the limit to avoid inadvertently straying over. I’d find that frustrating, traffic following me would find that frustrating. I would be distracted from concentrating on all the other hazards on the road which would make me less safe. My choice is to avoid the problem by not driving in France. Surely it should please you that there’s less traffic on your roads now!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Davidstewart61
Great Britain

#39 Re: Speeding

Post by Davidstewart61 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:51 am

Mich7920 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:09 am
The debate on speed is an endless debate.
If you do not drive in a country because of its radar, you will end up going round around your house but I'm sure it's not the only reason ...
We are all convinced to drive much better than the guy in his car in front of us and that we can drive faster than others and safe. If it were not pathetic it would be laughable. If you want to drive fast, go on a racetrack. And yes we also have in France and without radar ...
Mich
I should add that it is the only reason why I no longer drive in France. I do not consider myself anything special as a driver. I try not to make mistakes, I try to be courteous to other road users. I strive to drive safely. I am a pilot and cyclist and therefore very aware of the dangers of travelling. I am about to follow my father’s example by recording the mistakes I make as a driver. When they become too frequent to continue driving I shall stop.
And you don’t decide whether you are a good driver, others do.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#40 Re: Speeding

Post by chrisfell » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:53 am

"I am about to follow my father’s example by recording the mistakes I make as a driver. When they become too frequent to continue driving I shall stop. "
:yeahthat:
"And you don’t decide whether you are a good driver, others do."
:yeahthat: More importantly, this can be arranged in friendly, uncritical and advantageous circumstances. If anyone is interested, start here.
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/
Look for a local group and make contact. One of the benefits is that insurers recognise the value of membership of such an organisation by lowering premiums. The other Big Benefit is that as a driver who has successfully completed the observed driving process you will be more aware of your driving, therefore less likely to speed accidentaly and less likely to be caught in an accident of someone else's making.

Other road safety organisations (eg RoSPA) are available.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic