Congratulations England!!!!!

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
Larry Wade

#1 Congratulations England!!!!!

Post by Larry Wade » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:05 am

Well done! It's an incredibly lucky thing that England managed to finish second in group after only scoring two goals in the entire tournament.

Can I suggest watching a team that loves the game and plays with passion and joy?

USA! USA! USA! USA!!!!!

Cheers,
Larry
Larry Wade
62 OTS 877842
La Canada, California, USA

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:05 am

What sort of tournament are you referring to?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

Post by Tony » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Larry,

Give your boys their due , they are doing well. We could do with some of their passion.

See you in the final??? and then the fun will begin.

PS. Christopher, you know you like it really, it's that big England flag you are flying above your house that is the give away :D
Tony (E typed)

1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:44 pm

All together now - IN-GER-LUND! Come on, fess up who has flags on their cars? :roll:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HarryW

#5 Flags

Post by HarryW » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:40 pm

I have to confess, I do not have an England flag flying :twisted: But I'll be rooting for them on Sunday :wink:
HarryW
'66 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:50 pm

The best bit of it for me so far has been the odd glimpse ( I've only watched a few minutes usually) of Fabio Capello going bananas . I am glad for him, but not for anyone else, that they have made it through

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

e-bygum

Post by e-bygum » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:11 pm

As the man said, it's just like WW2 all over again-----the French pack in and go home as it's getting started, the Yanks turn up at the very last minute and the Brits (English) are left to sort out the Germans.
Pete
'71 S3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Larry Wade

#8 congratulations England

Post by Larry Wade » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:04 am

It has been a surprising world cup. France, Italy out. England, Portugal (except against North Korea) sputtering.

The best teams have been those who are excited to be there: the US, Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile, etc.

Spain, Germany, the Netherlands and Argentina seem to be moving...but only Brazil has shown any flare of the big guns.

It seems like the weight of expectations combined with....maybe a sense that this is just another tournament (the Champions League is where the best football in the world is played) have taken a toll.

Somehow the problems seem more mental than physical.

So which games have you enjoyed most? I thought the Serbia-Germany game was played at a very high level.

Cheers,
Larry
Larry Wade
62 OTS 877842

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

Post by Tony » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Larry,

This is a very considered review of the World Cup and the Champions League. . Americans do not normally give football (Soccer) the time of day. Are you sure you are an American? :D

The Japanese game against Denmark was good.
Brazil and Portugal were rubbish today. Very lack lustre performance.

The Tennis went on a bit (11 hours).

On a more in keeping topic with this forum are you any where near Crevier Classic Cars, Costa Mersa. CA.

There is what looks like a very nice red Series 1 OTS for sale. $79,000

Have you every hear of them. I appreciate you live in a big place and you could be a million miles away.

Regards

Tony
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Larry Wade

#10 congratulations england

Post by Larry Wade » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:54 am

Hi Tony,

Yup, I'm an American. Not counting the Cherokee in me, the family's been here for nearly 400 years.

I used to play 6 days a week, year-round (this is LA) until the second time I severed my ACL. Now I just coach youth teams...although this Spring's team was a U16 team that had four players taller than me. I have to admit that all of them are faster than me. Oh well..... It's weird coaching when you can't physically match up with the boys. With U14 I still looked pretty good. That's definitely in the past now.

The growth of the sport over here has been very strong and steady since 1990. Don't forget that the 1994 world cup is still the best attended world cup ever held. Also note that more Americans bought tickets to the 2010 World Cup finals than any country other than South Africa. The passion is no longer unusual.

Soccer has been the biggest youth sport here for two decades (baseball, football and basketball are way smaller). The problem has been that our youth system is poorly designed (emphasizes winning over skill development) and the coaches are ignorant (so they understand winning but not how to teach skills). The generation of kids growing up now will have passion and experience at fairly high levels. The kids they raise, and coach, will be world beaters. I hope to get to see it.

Costa Mesa is not too far (about 60 miles from me). This weekend I have football coaching classes all day Saturday and Sunday. Next weekend I may be able to visit however. Are you serious about the car? I've also got Jag friends in Orange County who might be able to look at it for you if I can't make it over as I may be too busy watching the US playing in the World Cup!

Cheers,
Larry
Larry Wade
62 OTS 877842

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

Post by Tony » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:14 am

Larry,

Please do not go out of your way as 60 miles there and back is along way and costly.

I am planning to retire next March when the money become available so there is no need to check this car out.

I was more after your thoughts on the car Crevier had and if it looked a reasonable deal.

I am looking for a Series 1 with the covered head light and 4.2 engine.The car Crevier have seemed to fit the bill.(not sure of the red piping on the seats).
My budget for a car is ?60k pounds max, but by the time I bring it to the UK, pay all transport, convert LHD to RHD and then pay the dreaded VAT at 17.5% that leaves me with $65,000 dollars to spend if I go for a USA car.

I am glad to see you are coaching the youth in Soccer. They are the future. I semi retired from playing rugby last year on my 60 Birthday, but still play the odd game. I also used to coach the youth teams from 6 to 17 years. I think I got as much out of it as the kids, but like all coaching the parents can sometime only see one child on the pitch.

Keep up the good work and keep an eye out for any decent cars for around the end of this year, but do not go out of your way.

As you would expect I am going for England in the World cup
followed by the USA as I have family there. They gave me their family flag which has been in their family for years. I though this was an honour, so I fly it on special occasions. I may risk flying it during the World Cup if the USA stay in. That will give the neighbours something to think about.

Regards

Tony
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:32 am

Tony

Not wanting to add to your woes but VAT will be 20% from 4th January.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GSR 54D
Great Britain

Post by GSR 54D » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Tony

For info the car at $79000 has the looks of a 3.8 engine due to the air intake design between the 3 SU pots and engine head. Also the interior door cards/exit handles are from a series 1.5 or 2. not series 1. The details of the more expensive OTS appear more age accurate. However, overall, the condition appears good. Personally I also don't like the red piping not really authentic - too customised for my liking but I've noticed these little things often keep the price down

John H

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:57 am

This one would have been better: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0396369572 but why so cheap?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

Post by Tony » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:21 pm

Heuer,

I tend to keep a very close eye on the all the car and for some reason I totally missed that one.
Very annoyed with myself.

In terms of the VAT, I was trying not to think of that

John,

Agree about the piping, I am not that experienced to spot the subtle variations in terms of handle and and air intakes

Tony

Tony
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GSR 54D
Great Britain

Post by GSR 54D » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi Tony
My description of air intake should be more like induction (air/fuel mix, inlet manifold)
First picture 4.2 second 3.8, notice the different metal work design between su pots and head

If it helps, I recommend this book for knowing accurate detail before you buy.

John H
Last edited by GSR 54D on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

Post by Tony » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:34 pm

John,

Thanks for that, book on order. Would the difference mean they have changed the engine but not the inlet manifold. or could the early 4.2 have had the 3.8 inlet manifold fitted?

Tony
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

Post by Tony » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Larry

1 hour to go to kick off. I have run the American flag up the neighbours flag pole. Not that he knows yet, he is still at work.

Good Luck

Tony
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Tony

The ultimate originality book by Dr Thomas Haddock - Jaguar E-Type Six-Cylinder Restoration and Originality Guide - and although they turn up on eBay from time to time they generally sell for ?150+. However xkebooks.com may have it for about $80: http://xkebooks.com/shop/product_info.p ... ucts_id/42

Well worth having on the book shelf. Also check out the JCNA S1 Concours judging guide download: http://www.jcna.com/library/tech/e-type1.pdf Other links are in The Library section of the Forum.

If you want to keep an eye on all things Jaguar and E-Type on eBay then you need to bookmark 'Jagwatch'. Lists all the E-Type related auctions and 'most popular' in a nice thumbnail list. http://www.jaguarauctionwatch.com/aucti ... ountry=GBR Free to use, no sign-up, no subscriptions.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

Post by Tony » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:23 pm

Heuer,

Now that an interesting web site (Jaguar Auction Watch), Saves me flicking around all the obvious site such as Piston Head etc.

The S1 Concourse judging guide looks like heavy reading, but like all topics becomes more obvious as you get more experienced.

Thanks for the guidance and stick we me as I chase the cars as they move further out of reach.

Larry, I have just come in and heard they lost 1-0. That's a bit of a blow. Anyway the flag is still flying proud and it's not been taken down.

Tony
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic