Topic author
SEJohnson95
Great Britain

#21 Re: PhDone

Post by SEJohnson95 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:17 pm

nefematic wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:05 pm
Simon,

late but sincere congratulations on earning your PhD! We met shortly in 2016, in Bicester. I recall you being in to chemistry. Great achievement now! Working in pharmaceutical chemistry should allow for for a nice E-Type, sooner or later. All the best for your career! My middle son is working on his PhD in chemistry, (computational chemistry, whatever that is? :shrug:)
Hi Martin, I do indeed recall our meeting (and did you go to one of Angus' meetings too?) Thanks for your kind words, I hope that the pharma job will get me an E-type one day too :wink:

I have friends doing computational chemistry PhDs, and that stuff is far too complicated for me to understand! Completely different skill set to the practical work I do, but increasingly important in every chemistry setting.

Richard's 3.8 wasn't quite on the road then (although you did sneak a picture of my old Corsa in those shots!), but yes, it was Opalescent Bronze. Stunning colour and there should be more around.
Simon Johnson
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Nottingham
E-type Club magazine contributor
Chasing the dream of a S1 4.2 OTS, but plan on getting an E ASAP!
Lucky passenger in a 1962 FHC - See restoration thread

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
SEJohnson95
Great Britain

#22 Re: PhDone

Post by SEJohnson95 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:22 pm

RICHOT wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:31 am
Hi Simon,

Yet another very tardy 'well done'.

I do know what it is like and the work and dedication that goes into achieving a PhD - I got mine way back in 1971!! (in Pharmacology).
Then went on to spend ~ 30yrs in the pharmaceutical industry in the same company in various roles, watching the company expand and expand.

Thanks, Richard :bigrin: It's been a lot of work but overall I really enjoyed my time as a PhD student and had a great supervisor.

Who knows where the career will take me, I am very happy at my current company and certainly will not be going anywhere in the medium term. The company is growing a lot, so I look forward to seeing the same sort of thing that you did.

The Dr thing still messes with my head - everything "official" has it on and various people use it from time to time in conversation. "Simon" will do just fine in most instances!
Simon Johnson
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Nottingham
E-type Club magazine contributor
Chasing the dream of a S1 4.2 OTS, but plan on getting an E ASAP!
Lucky passenger in a 1962 FHC - See restoration thread

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic