The best Classic Car Programme on TV

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
Tony
Great Britain

#1 The best Classic Car Programme on TV

Post by Tony » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:49 pm

I have decided that the best Car Show on TV is Victory by Design with Alain De Cabenet.

I appreciate it is looking at the top end classic cars, but gives a good insite into the manufactures and their cars.

Any more bids or am I right?
Tony (E typed)

1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Erikantwerp
Belgium

Post by Erikantwerp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:57 pm

Tony,

I did not know this program. I just went on youtube and watched the jaguar episode. Wow ! I really liked it. I knew of Alain de Cadenet his colmns in the claasic car magazine but did not know him from tv, he is a great presenter indeed!

Thx for sharing. I just love the sond of the cars he is testing and the nononsense approach.

Nice one. I am definitely going to watch some more episodes.
Cheers
Erik
Erik Antwerp
1966 S1 4.2 FHC,Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Erikantwerp
Belgium

Post by Erikantwerp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:18 am

Hi again Tony

Just to let you know I just bought six victory by design dvd's ( jaguar, alfa romeo, aston martin, maserati, ferrari and porsche). I cannot wait to see and hear those episodes !

Thx for the tip!
Erik
Erik Antwerp
1966 S1 4.2 FHC,Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Tony
Great Britain

Post by Tony » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:08 am

Hello Erik,

Glad you liked it and will take it you are in agreement it is the best TV car show.? Someone must disagree with me if only to wind away the dull winter days.

Regards

Tony
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JimmyS
Great Britain

Post by JimmyS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Apologies for straying into the world of aircraft again, but I always associate Alain de Cadenet with the following clip. Caution, its a bit sweary at the end....

1964 FHC Project
1E20078

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:37 pm

I love the Spitfire clip!

I'd never heard of the 'Victory by Design' series either....what channel was it on? I've just looked at the Jag episode, and it does look good....DVDs on the way!

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 pm

It has been on the BBC or Channel 4 I think along with some of the Satellite channels (SpeedTV, Motors etc and is usually repeated every now and then - they were on Sky Discovery Turbo channel 523 a couple of months ago). Episodes were Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari, Lotus, Jaguar, Porsche, Corvette, Ford Muscle and Grand Prix Greats. Not sure they are worth ?15 an episode on DVD though and only six of the nine episodes are available in that format. You will probably find the series on the Bay that Pirates if you are into that sort of thing.
Last edited by Heuer on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Erikantwerp
Belgium

Post by Erikantwerp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi all,

I loved the spitfire video, fun stuff.

David, agree to a certain point, but I bought them at 8.99 GBP and even only for the sound of the machines and seeing them in a real "on the road" setting, it is not bad TV :)
cheers
Erik

PS: Tony, if in any doubt, yes, I like them !
Erik Antwerp
1966 S1 4.2 FHC,Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Tony
Great Britain

Post by Tony » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Jimmy,

Nice spitfire video and yes I think a few women have!!!
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Roman K

Post by Roman K » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Great Show, thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SteveG
Great Britain

Post by SteveG » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 am

Tony - totally agree with you. I have to say although I love my E-Types and at the risk of being shot down, the episode on Ferrari was amazing. The V12 at full chat is the next best thing after a Merlin IMO :wink:
Steve - 1966 2+2 1E50101 slow restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andy303

Post by andy303 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:42 pm

The Velocity channel here in the States recently started a new show called the "Renaissance Man", presented by Alain DeCadenet. Recent topics included the Lancia/Ferrari D50 GP racer and classic British bikes. Future shows will be on the Mini and and the Rolls Merlin engine. Generally well done, and if you DVR it to avoid commercials, quite enjoyable. I suppose it will make it to the UK soon enough, and be much, much better than our usual cable exports.

Here is how it is described:

RENAISSANCE MAN
Alain de Cadenet is old school cool. He has a fascinating wealth of experience in all things mechanical, and counts many designers, drivers, team owners, music and film stars as his friends.
This series is a celebration of design, fabrication and bespoke craftsmanship. In each program Alain visits a different location to learn and share the story of certain cars, watches, motorbikes, aircraft and even guns. He explains and appreciates the skillful and labor intensive exploits of these mechanics, designers and engineers. Some items are classic pieces of moving history while others are brand new examples of cutting edge technology. However all of them share handmade craftsmanship that is celebrated by Alain with his genuine onscreen authenticity and enthusiasm. Alain hosts and whenever possible, takes part as our demonstrator and well-informed guide. No matter what the topic is, he is always hands-on and involved.
Andy Blackley
Chardon, Ohio
69 S2 2+2 http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=1R41606
Fear God and Dreadnought

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:47 pm

I have to say the very first of the series (Porsche) is nigh one perfect with lots of period film and interviews with people involved in Porsche development. It gives you a real understanding of how the cars were designed to go racing. A period video of Bryan Redman driving a standard 911 around the Targa Florio circuit is certainly more hair raising than even Rendevous! From there on though it seems to go downhill (the Lotus episode is a particular low point) with the emphasis on Cadanet tooling around in as many cars as he can fit into the hour with no interviews and little period footage. I found the Ferrari episode to be very confused (lots of Top Gear style revving of engines but little insight into development) although the Alfa Romeo one was excellent. He clearly has a particular passion for that marque and it shone through with plenty of knowledge shared. Very pleasing to see the Disco Volante being driven on the track.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic