Rolls Royce Merlins - one for Heuer

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

#1 Rolls Royce Merlins - one for Heuer

Post by christopher storey » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:11 pm

This link shows colour footage of the Lancaster in which I believe David flew a year or two ago

Have you ever noticed how like a Merlin the XK in an E type sounds at 2500 rpm ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:11 am

Yep, that's the Lanc I flew in a couple of years ago. From my post at the time:

"Well that was a phenomenal experience - four Merlin's at full chat and a 'Dambuster' run at 600ft down Long Point with a sharp turn over the Lighthouse. How those boys did it at 60ft, in the dark whilst being shot at is not possible to imagine. A worthwhile pilgrimage and an unforgettable experience which brings a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye when you remember those who lost their lives. We used 200 gallons of fuel in the one hour we were airborne so along with the jet fuel to get there and the 2,000 miles of aimless cruising in "Moby" (our Chrysler Sebring convertible hire car which was scared of corners) I feel I have done enough this month to earn my carbon credits - I am right in thinking you get more credits for the more carbon you create?
Four crew, four passengers and no Health & Safety so we could wander around the plane at will in flight.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

No idea how my wife got into the Pilot's seat!"
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

steve3.8
Great Britain

Post by steve3.8 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Nice quality video Christopher , one of the best , and I think there are more comparisons to be made to WW2 aircraft , on Thursday I did the 1 hour Dambusters flight in a Tiger Moth and the most striking similarity to me when I got back in the E after was the gauges.

I?ve also noticed the front frames on an E are reminiscent of aircraft design ,triangulated and bolted to a bulkhead , probably the design idea was carried over from Bristol by Malcolm Sayer .

Maybe David could create an aviation only thread / page ?

Here?s the link to the flight operators http://www.blueeyeaviation.co.uk/
Get booked up David its on our doorstep!

Chocks away Lofty!

BBMF guided tour last year , Spitfire engine frames
Steve3.8

64 3.8 fhc, 67 4.2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:47 pm

Steve : it had never occurred to me before but I think you are right, since most in line piston engined installations were cantilevered to the airframe in the same way that the Spitfire's Merlin is . Of course, most if not all the Bristols Malcolm Sayer would have come across used radials , but no doubt the principles of attachment are very similar

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SESH
Great Britain

Post by SESH » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:23 pm

A few years ago I had a flight in a two seat Spitfire from Duxford to Farnborough for the opening day of the Farnborough Airshow. What an experience, the raw power of that Merlin was incredible, I took control of the aircraft for a short period and it was so responsive!

Interesting the company that do the Dambuster flights. I keep getting e mail from people that say they have booked my company to fly them! My company is Blue Sky Aviation ! so that's why I am getting the mails as the web address is so similar!
1973 Jaguar E Type Series 3 OTS Signal Red
1968 Proteus Jaguar C Type Ecurie Ecosse Flag Blue
1963 Triumph TR4 Signal Red
2020 Mustang Bullitt Highland Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic