Austin Healey BL7

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
JagWaugh
Switzerland

#1 Austin Healey BL7

Post by JagWaugh » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:56 am

A friend has asked me to to have a look at his - The workshop manual is on order, but not here yet: Does anyone have one, or a shop manual? I am looking for dwell/gap/ignition Timing data. I've found some info on the web, but I am not sure how trustworthy the sources are.

The car starts easily, and runs well, snaps and pops a bit too much on the lift off (even for a Healey), pulls like a raped ape. O/P is ok. Temp is fine as long as you are moving, but the needle climbs alarmingly as soon as you stop at a light. It may have a bit too much glycol, I'll check that with a refractometer on Monday, as well as doing a pressure test. The rad seems newish, and clear, fluid is clear. I know that even when new these cars were on the edge in terms of cooling, so I think it may be too lean and/or too far advanced.

I took it for the MOT yesterday, it was fine after the 1h highway drive to the MOT, but on the way back I took a different route, the last 45min was stop and go, I turned it off about 15 min before home and after 10 min sitting it was hard to start (heatsoak?), then it boiled over just as I drove it onto the lift.

Fun car, but not as cultivated as the XK.

Andrew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:33 am

Hi Andrew..have a look on this Healey forum http://healey.hyperboards.com/action/vi ... ic_id/2988
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic