James May and Damon Hill

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

othy

Post by othy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:30 pm

The SIII isn't the racing derived sports car that the SI was, it was built as a Grand Tourer and the concept was proved immensely successful by its XJS successor.

It was also the first recipient of the V12 engine, for many years the only massed produced V12 in the world. An engine that lasted 26 years and in one form or another took some of the most coveted motosport honours around.

In terms of looks I would be foolish to argue that it has the purity of the original FHC but I defy anyone to say its ugly. It certainly has the power to turn heads even today.

I bought my car because it was an E type with a V12 engine and enjoy its lazy power and speed.

It occurs to me that it is time we stopped comparing the SIII to its younger cousins. It makes more sense to think of it as a prettier version of an XJS the car it morphed into.
'73 Series 3 2+2 Azure Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:07 am

I toured Europe in S2 and S3 OTS and both were fine. The S3 was more travel-friendly because of all the room behind the back seat. However, coming from years of motorcycle touring, I think a D-type is roomy and plush...
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic