First real outing!

Observations on servicing costs, mpg, wear & tear, breakdowns and experiences on the road

Topic author
Simonpfhc
Great Britain

First real outing!

Postby Simonpfhc » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi All,

My wife and I went out this morning for the first real outing in the Etype. The weather was perfect and we went down to the Walton Bridge Breakfast meet. Great selection of cars with mine getting quite a bit of attention. Bumped into Darren and his wife, Tracy (dal2.0litrefrogeye) and had a good catch-up.

Anyway, a great first outing with the Etype driving effortlessly. However, on arrival back at home, I checked under the bonnet to make sure all was well.........it wasn't! My Lincon battery had split wide open across one of the cells. So it has failed after just 65 miles. I checked the receipt and I bought it in December 2015 - it will be interesting to see what they say on Monday.

Oh well, I may well have a failed battery, but I still have a massive smile on my face :bigrin:

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
92 Porsche 928GT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

Re: First real outing!

Postby 265bhp » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Pictures...!...this post needs pictures...;)
1963 3.8 FHC in slow restoration mode

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

Postby politeperson » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Is it charging at the correct voltage?

Maybe worth puting a voltmeter across the terminals to check the alternator output voltage with the engine running.
James
Responsibly Irresponsible.

L.J.K. Setright was very right.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

Postby cactusman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Hmmm.....hope it has not spilled any electrolyte....wash with copious amounts of a solution of sodium bicarbonate to neutralize any acid and then plenty of water if it has...and as said already, check the voltage with the engine running...should be around 13.5 to 14.5 volts...over 15 and your charge system is faulty...even so a well made battery should never split open.....looks ain't everything.....get a modern qualityp battery....or scoop the innards out of an old style one and fit a modern one inside....there is a posting on here somewhere all about it...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Simonpfhc
Great Britain

Postby Simonpfhc » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi guys,

Yes, I measured about 13.5v @2500rpm at the battery - haven't ran the engine any higher yet. It did leak electrolyte, but not too much. I wiped it clean but will give it a good wash with bicarbonate of soda in the morning, thanks for the info.

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
92 Porsche 928GT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

Postby ALAN COCHRANE » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Simon

This seems to be a recurring problem with LINCON batteries. I had one split along one side at the top. You can reseal it if you want to repair it yourself.
Leave all the caps off overnight to allow any gas to escape, then play a blowtorch over the cover until the compound softens and reseals the crack. Sounds a bit hairy but it's perfectly safe as long as you don't heat the battery red hot. Apparently this is what they do at LINCON all the time.
I won't be buying another LINCON battery since this is the second one to do this.

Cheers

Alan
1962 S1 OTS-850389,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Postby Heuer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Removing the battery well away from the car, obviously :doh:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Pin your E-Type to our World Map: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=184509

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

Postby ALAN COCHRANE » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Yes I did forget to mention that step in my post. I was extremely sceptical about the whole thing and made sure the battery was as far from the garage and cars as possible and I was dressed like an extra from a Red Adair film!
I've since noticed that my spare LINCON battery, which has been consigned to second line duties, has developed a crack across the top of the box. This is without being charged or even used for over a year. A common problem I think.

Alan
1962 S1 OTS-850389,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Simonpfhc
Great Britain

Re: First real outing! LINCON battery feedback

Postby Simonpfhc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:51 am

Just thought I would feed back to the forum the outcome of my conversation with LINCON over my failed battery.

I spoke to the manger and stated my case: although I purchased the battery in December 2015 and was aware of the 1 year warranty, I have only travelled 65 miles. During the whole time of ownership and after the battery was filled with the provided electrolyte, the battery has always been on a maintainer and kept in a centrally-heated garage. I feel that this catastrophic failure is due to a quality issue. I understand that I have passed the warranty period but would expect at least a partial refund.

The manager made it very clear that it wasn't a quality issue and that this failure can only be due to sulphation caused by leaving it in an uncharged state for a long period of time or it has been exposed to sub-zero temperatures. Either way, even if this failed in this manner during the warranty period, it would still NOT be covered!!

He did suggest that he 'may' be able to offer a discount on a replacement battery, but I made it clear that I could not risk another battery from him if this is the type of failure that can occur, spilling electrolyte over fresh, expensive paintwork.

The conversation ended at that point. Needless to say, I shall not be returning for any future business and will stick to the Halfords battery I bought to replace it.

I imagine that my experience with this supplier is in the minority, and there are plenty of happy customers. Either way, customer service has to come first and it didn't in my case.

Thanks.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
92 Porsche 928GT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

Postby Herzeg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:45 pm

Simon

I certainly wouldn't buy a battery from them if that's their customer service. I would be tempted to put someone like trading standards on to them. I have subscribed to Which magazine for many years and they say legally you are entitled to a reasonable period of service from a product.

According to a google search, three to five years is reasonable on a modern car. An old car will not draw the same current and should last longer. You could also advise them you will take legal advice and see how they react.

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

Postby malcolm » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 am

John's right. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 requires goods to be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. This is apart from any warranty. This act applies to any goods purchased before September 2015. After that, goods are covered by the consumer rights act which says largely the same thing.
Quite a good article here: https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... IJg&adurl=
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

Postby ALAN COCHRANE » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:23 am

+1 for John

I had the same problem with a laptop that failed after eighteen months and was met with a similar washing of the hands by that well known High Street electrical retailer. I threatened and then took the company to the Small Claims Court. They caved in after the preliminary hearing and repaired the laptop. It would have actually been cheaper to replace it but I was happy. The icing on the cake was being able to claim for my time off work, research etc.
Hopefully you won' have to go that far. When I contacted LINCON they were also adamant that no refund was due and wouldn't even entertain repairing it without payment. I think this problem with this type of battery is more widespread than we suspect. Anyone else had a split appear in their battery?
I think companies sometimes forget that people communicate with each other over the interweb and share their experiences. It's so very easy to gain a bad reputation and so hard to regain it-just ask Jaguar!

Alan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “E-Type Running Reports”